+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag poling question

ashishtams

Mar 13, 2019
Hello,

The day I got PPR request, I was in Canada and my wife and son were in INDIA.(dependents were in India for vacation and were not returning withing 30 days from PPR request.). Hence,
I had sent my passport to Ottawa and my dependents sent it to New Delhi as per confirmation from CIO.

Now I got my passport back with COPR, however my dependents are still awaiting.

I am aware that they will do landing when they arrive back from India, so I have to do it alone anyways for myself

I am just not sure that as they are still waiting for their Passport and COPR , should I go and complete flag poling for myself ? , OR should I wait until they get their passport and COPR back?

Thanks

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
Hello,

The day I got PPR request, I was in Canada and my wife and son were in INDIA.(dependents were in India for vacation and were not returning withing 30 days from PPR request.). Hence,
I had sent my passport to Ottawa and my dependents sent it to New Delhi as per confirmation from CIO.

Now I got my passport back with COPR, however my dependents are still awaiting.

I am aware that they will do landing when they arrive back from India, so I have to do it alone anyways for myself

I am just not sure that as they are still waiting for their Passport and COPR , should I go and complete flag poling for myself ? , OR should I wait until they get their passport and COPR back?

Thanks
It is clearly mentioned in the instructions letter that you should not complete COPR Validation until all dependents received their COPR. I was in exactly same shoes as yours. I went for COPR validation at border only after my wife received her COPR from Delhi.

ashishtams

Mar 13, 2019
It is clearly mentioned in the instructions letter that you should not complete COPR Validation until all dependents received their COPR. I was in exactly same shoes as yours. I went for COPR validation at border only after my wife received her COPR from Delhi.
Thanks you so much, I just read that point in the instructions page.

Thanks you for the heads up. How much time did it take for your dependents to get copr from New delhi. For my dependents its about 2 weeks now, still waiting

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
Thanks you so much, I just read that point in the instructions page.

Thanks you for the heads up. How much time did it take for your dependents to get copr from New delhi. For my dependents its about 2 weeks now, still waiting
CIC sent my passport and COPR only after my wife's application was approved at Delhi consulate. I received my passport the next day and it took 3 days for my wife to receive the passport.
Did you check status of your dependent's applications? if they are marked as approved, then they may receive the passport anytime within 5 days.

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
I checked the application status at vfsglobal india website, it says the application is received and is currently in process.
This is the website I checked
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/india/track-your-application.html

Let me know if its not the correct place.

I am not sure in my case i got the COPR and my dependents are still awaiting the COPR.

Thanks
I checked on MY ACCOUNT of CIC website. Decision was taken on my wife's application after 1 week from mine. You may get it any time before this weekend. better, you book appointment for COPR validation, instead of taking stress for flagpoling unless you need landing documents immediately. I had literally worst experience at border and wasted money by crossing US and spending in Hotel there. however, I needed landing document because of my mortgage application.

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
I checked on MY ACCOUNT of CIC website. Decision was taken on my wife's application after 1 week from mine. You may get it any time before this weekend. better, you book appointment for COPR validation, instead of taking stress for flagpoling unless you need landing documents immediately. I had literally worst experience at border and wasted money by crossing US and spending in Hotel there. however, I needed landing document because of my mortgage application.
This was my experience with landing at border:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/my-experience-with-in-land-pr-landing-process-at-niagara-region.614639/#post-7642881

ashishtams

Mar 13, 2019
Can I get New SIN before I flagpoll / COPR Validation?
What i mean is instead of waiting to go and do flagpolling i wish i could get my new SIN to be used by my company for salary purpose. My current work permit is going to expire soon.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What i mean is instead of waiting to go and do flagpolling i wish i could get my new SIN to be used by my company for salary purpose. My current work permit is going to expire soon.
The short answer is no. Your COPR has to be validated first.

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
You don't become a Permanent residence until you land with your COPR and IM-1 visa (if required). That means if you are not a Permanent Resident, there is no possibility of getting a permanent SIN.

Last edited:

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
No. You need to complete COPR validation for applying new SIN. Dont worry, you can use current SIN till you get new one. I asked one Service Canada office about usage of 2 SIN numbers in a given tax year. He said, there will be no complications with tax filing as both the numbers will be linked in their system.

ashishtams

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for all the responses, its really helpfull. I habe one more question about the same flagpoling thing?

Can i do flagpoling at windsor border on weekends?

Mainak95

Jan 28, 2019
Hey Guys,

If you want to do the flagpole the week end any days of the week and you are in Toronto I strongly advised you to go to 1000 islands. It's just 2h30 min drive.
I went last Saturday and the process was really fast and efficient no waiting time once you come back to the Canadian border

Reactions: bhanuprakashn

hari_1819

Jul 5, 2017
Hi all, Need your inputs for flagpoling at Niagara falls Rainbow bridge.
Can we go to Niagara falls station through VIA rail and then walk from the station to CBSA border office on Canada side to do flagpole? will they allow us to walk to CBSA office?