+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fixed Deposit as POF

queencoxie

Oct 23, 2020
Hello,
I would be creating my EE profile tomorrow. My uncle has agreed to give me the settlement funds I need. However, he intends to fix it in an account in my name. Considering the money will be fixed for less than 6 months, what will I need to show to prove source of funds and that the money belongs to me? Do I need a gift deed?
Please help
Thanks

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hello,
I would be creating my EE profile tomorrow. My uncle has agreed to give me the settlement funds I need. However, he intends to fix it in an account in my name. Considering the money will be fixed for less than 6 months, what will I need to show to prove source of funds and that the money belongs to me? Do I need a gift deed?
Please help
Thanks
Gift deed would be better.

queencoxie

Oct 23, 2020
Your uncle is gifting it to you or you are taking a loan? If its a gift, then gift deed should work. If its a loan, then you cannot do that.
Hi , how long am I allowed to fix the money for?
I read that some VOs frown at long term fixed deposits?
Can I fix it after ITA or is it better to fix it before ITA?
Also, does IRCC contact the bank to confirm the funds are actually fixed in the account?

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
Hello,
Please help
Thanks
Gift as per general parlance has to be between people related by blood, usually parents. If you are getting a gift deed from any one other than your parents, it will be difficult to see it as a gift without the expectation to have it back.
The basic requirements that should be met in a gift deed are:

a. The transfer should be made voluntarily;
b. without consideration (no expectation of money, return, or other favours); and
c . an acceptance by the donee (acceptance can be by acknowledging in writing that the gift has been received or by the act of receiving it).

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
Hi , how long am I allowed to fix the money for?
I read that some VOs frown at long term fixed deposits?
Can I fix it after ITA or is it better to fix it before ITA?
Also, does IRCC contact the bank to confirm the funds are actually fixed in the account?
Any asset which cannot be readily liquidated, and the price of which cannot be ascertained immediately, cannot be used to meet the PoF requirements. Therefore, real estate assets, stocks etc. cannot be used. However, bank deposits, mutual funds, treasury bills, bonds, provident fund (India), Life Insurance Policy (whole life insurance, term life cannot be used) and similar monetary investments that can be readily liquidated, can be used for PoF