+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First work permit applications in US now NY VAC office closed

pbconnections

Feb 6, 2013
Now is a mystery how to apply if in Canada. My LMO just came through so I have to figure it out.
The CIC call center says that definitely the first work permit cannot be applied for from w/i Canada .
Used to be that one could apply from w/i Canada , then they changed that a couple of months ago. But by going to VAC in NY or posting from w/i US to VAC it went through for friends in 2 weeks.
Now NY VAC is closed.
NY Consulate says for work permits to apply in person or drop box or online but not by mail.
Online doesn't work from w/i Canada.
So it appears the only way to apply from the US is to go in person to the NY consulate and then wait the maybe 4 months it says on the processing time chart.
Or apply online from w/i the US. which who knows how long.

I read elsewhere on the forum that one can leave the US while it is being processed. Does anyone know about this. Makes for an expensive application to fly there twice or stay for 4 months.

faith11

Apr 17, 2012
I would like to know about this too.. i wonder what you are going to do..are you also under vistors visa in canada? Thanks

grafe

Jan 8, 2014
Hi pbconnection, please tell me where did you apply your new work permit now? Because the new york consulate was close already. Cause i need to apply my work permit outside canada too. Any help and suggestions please. Thank you :(

pbconnections

Feb 6, 2013
I am heading to the US next week and will apply online from there, with a US address.
My plan is then to come back to Canada ( after a little holiday in the sun :p ) and wait because ,from all reports on this forum , it looks like a 3 - 4 month wait until it is processed.
At present I have a visitor visa here in Canada.
When I come back I will be coming back as a visitor, although also informing border immigration of the situation and hoping they will allow my being a visitor. Because I will have to leave Canada again to pick up my approval :D and come back in again to get the actual visa.

Grafe the NY consulate is not closed, it is just the VAC ( visa application center ) in NY that closed. You can still apply at the consulate in person or in their drop box...... with what also looks like a 3 - 4 month wait time.

grafe

Jan 8, 2014
Thank you pbconnections for the reply so appreciated. So sad and confused where to apply my new work permit because i can't go to the US cause i don't have a visa to enter there.

faith11

Apr 17, 2012
I am wondering if you can ask someone from new york to drop the docs in their drop box.. coz that is what i am planning to do...

pbconnections

Feb 6, 2013
I guess that's ok if you are in the US.
But if you are in Canada , and so you have Canada as a residential address on the application .....?
Maybe in the 3 or 4 mths it takes for them to get to your application things will have changed and you can apply from Canada, but personally it is not something I am going to risk having it sent back to start again

gwennie

Apr 20, 2013
Guys why not try sending it thru mail. I took the risk before. I heard news they are not accpeting applications from canada anymore but still i tried. Submitted my application october 1 and got an approval january 27. If they will not accept it they wil give back to you the applcation documents 1 week after. Maybe they will be considerate this time that VaC is closed already.