+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First TRV application refused - Options?

Saints09

Nov 3, 2016
Good day everyone, my girlfriend who is from the Philippines applied for a TRV just before Christmas and we got the answer rather quickly (a week and a half), we provided CIC with all the necessary documents plus many additional information that we thought might help her obtain the TRV. However, she was refused stating that these are the reasons:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:

travel history

I have to admit, she's never traveled before to a country that requires a visa, she has been to several Asian countries though.

Current employment situation

She's been working at a financial institution for 5 years, wouldn't that be considered a good situation?

Personal assets and financial status

She has many investments plus she had substantial savings, well beyond what would be needed for the trip (Over 10000$ CAD)

I'm rather confused on why those reasons were used (except maybe the travel history) as a reason for denial? What options are available to us now if we want to try to apply again? I'm considering consulting an immigration layer, would that be beneficial?

Any input from you all would be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long a visit did she request? What evidence did she provide to demonstrate that she is employed?

Saints09

Nov 3, 2016
scylla said:
How long a visit did she request? What evidence did she provide to demonstrate that she is employed?
She requested a months leave (the max allowed) from her work, we provided CIC with a certificate of employment and the leave request authorization letter from the banks HR department.

Thanks for the quick response Scylla ;D

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Saints09 said:
I'm considering consulting an immigration layer, would that be beneficial?

Not really.

You can order the case notes for her file, it'll cost $5.

https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Saints09 said:
She requested a months leave (the max allowed) from her work, we provided CIC with a certificate of employment and the leave request authorization letter from the banks HR department.

Thanks for the quick response Scylla ;D
A months is probably a bit long for someone with no travel history and may make CIC concerned she plans to come over here and try to remain long term (e.g. marry you). I would go with 2 weeks instead.

Agreed a lawyer won't increase your chances of being approved.

Tala_08

Jan 7, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saints09 said:
Good day everyone, my girlfriend who is from the Philippines applied for a TRV just before Christmas and we got the answer rather quickly (a week and a half), we provided CIC with all the necessary documents plus many additional information that we thought might help her obtain the TRV. However, she was refused stating that these are the reasons:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:

travel history

I have to admit, she's never traveled before to a country that requires a visa, she has been to several Asian countries though.

Current employment situation

She's been working at a financial institution for 5 years, wouldn't that be considered a good situation?

Personal assets and financial status

She has many investments plus she had substantial savings, well beyond what would be needed for the trip (Over 10000$ CAD)

I'm rather confused on why those reasons were used (except maybe the travel history) as a reason for denial? What options are available to us now if we want to try to apply again? I'm considering consulting an immigration layer, would that be beneficial?

Sorry to hear this. Maybe they're just getting stricter like the US. How old is she? I think immigration officers are really skeptical especially with single Filipino women. They have this thinking that they will not go back to the Philippines anymore. Just try again, who knows, she might be given the second time…or….maybe you two should get married then she can apply again. ;)

Saints09

Nov 3, 2016
bellaluna said:
Not really.

You can order the case notes for her file, it'll cost $5.
I'm actually doing that right now, thanks for the information!!! I hope they do have a more detailed reasoning why she was refused so that we adjust for our next application.

scylla said:
A months is probably a bit long for someone with no travel history and may make CIC concerned she plans to come over here and try to remain long term (e.g. marry you). I would go with 2 weeks instead.

Agreed a lawyer won't increase your chances of being approved.
That's a great idea, We'll probably do that this time around.

Good to know, I wasn't really keen on spending a few hundred dollars on a lawyer, especially if the outcome is the same.

Tala_08 said:
Sorry to hear this. Maybe they're just getting stricter like the US. How old is she? I think immigration officers are really skeptical especially with single Filipino women. They have this thinking that they will not go back to the Philippines anymore. Just try again, who knows, she might be given the second time…or….maybe you two should get married then she can apply again. ;)
She in her mid 20's and I do agree that there's a stigma associated with not just filipina's, but in general, women from Asia. Its still a rather irritating situation to be in :(

Tala_08

Jan 7, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saints09 said:
I'm actually doing that right now, thanks for the information!!! I hope they do have a more detailed reasoning why she was refused so that we adjust for our next application.

That's a great idea, We'll probably do that this time around.

Good to know, I wasn't really keen on spending a few hundred dollars on a lawyer, especially if the outcome is the same.

She in her mid 20's and I do agree that there's a stigma associated with not just filipina's, but in general, women from Asia. Its still a rather irritating situation to be in :(
Yeah, that's so true. I hope she'll get a visa the next time she applies. All the best!