+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Time Tax filer | Tax Refund delayed for 2018

maverick_bigapple

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
Hello all,

I moved to Canada in October 2018 (as a settler), and, filed taxes using a tax accountant for FY 2018. Per the accountant, the CRA will communicate via postal mail, but, I still haven't heard back. The accountant recommended that I call and check on the status with the CRA which I did. They said the filing is still being reviewed. As I await the assessment, I have a few questions:

(i) What is for processing time for tax filings (My taxes were e-filed)? Is it typical for first time tax filings to take longer to be processed?
(ii) Is there another way to track the status of the tax filing? (I can't seem to use the Telerefund line since they can't authenticate my information)
(iii) I can't set up the 'My Account' on the CRA's website, and, per the agent, I'll need the first filing's assessment completed before I can set one up. Is this accurate?
(iv) Considering that I moved to Canada as a settler in 2018 (been a PR since 2016, but, haven't lived in Canada at all minus a few days of visits), I didn't report income in the US (taxes were duly filed for all the years). Is it required to attach the US returns to your Canadian filing?

Many thanks!
NK

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello all,

I moved to Canada in October 2018 (as a settler), and, filed taxes using a tax accountant for FY 2018. Per the accountant, the CRA will communicate via postal mail, but, I still haven't heard back. The accountant recommended that I call and check on the status with the CRA which I did. They said the filing is still being reviewed. As I await the assessment, I have a few questions:

(i) What is for processing time for tax filings (My taxes were e-filed)? Is it typical for first time tax filings to take longer to be processed?
(ii) Is there another way to track the status of the tax filing? (I can't seem to use the Telerefund line since they can't authenticate my information)
(iii) I can't set up the 'My Account' on the CRA's website, and, per the agent, I'll need the first filing's assessment completed before I can set one up. Is this accurate?
(iv) Considering that I moved to Canada as a settler in 2018 (been a PR since 2016, but, haven't lived in Canada at all minus a few days of visits), I didn't report income in the US (taxes were duly filed for all the years). Is it required to attach the US returns to your Canadian filing?

Many thanks!
NK
You did not tell when you filed the return. It takes time for my colleague who filed in March but i received the assessment in 3 weeks. I filed few weeks before him. Earlier years i received the assessments in 2-4 months.
First time filers need to wait for their first assessment complete before you can log into the website to check status.
If CRA wants to know the detail on foreign income then they will ask before completing assessment.

maverick_bigapple

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
You did not tell when you filed the return. It takes time for my colleague who filed in March but i received the assessment in 3 weeks. I filed few weeks before him. Earlier years i received the assessments in 2-4 months.
First time filers need to wait for their first assessment complete before you can log into the website to check status.
If CRA wants to know the detail on foreign income then they will ask before completing assessment.
Many thanks for the response, @harirajmohan. I filed my tax right before the deadline. Based on your response, it seems I may have to wait a while possibly.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016