+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First-time passport questions

cywhite

Jul 24, 2019
Recently got my Certificate of Citizenship, and I want to apply for the passport next. A few things I'm not sure about:
  1. One of the main requirements is "any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name." I don't know what this means, and the only Canadian-issued travel document I had was the PR card which I had to cut up during the Oath ceremony. I also have a foreign-issued travel document specifically reserved for refugees (which I've used to apply to immigration in the first place many years ago), but I'm guessing that doesn't apply.

2. Can I use the Ontario Health Insurance card as an ID (the other being the Ontario Photo Card)? It is technically a provincially-issued ID.

3. What other questions can guarantors and references expect to be asked (besides how long they've known the applicant for, what their occupation is, and what their physical description is)?

4. How long does it typically take for first-time passports to be issued?

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Recently got my Certificate of Citizenship, and I want to apply for the passport next. A few things I'm not sure about:
  1. One of the main requirements is "any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name." I don't know what this means, and the only Canadian-issued travel document I had was the PR card which I had to cut up during the Oath ceremony. I also have a foreign-issued travel document specifically reserved for refugees (which I've used to apply to immigration in the first place many years ago), but I'm guessing that doesn't apply.

2. Can I use the Ontario Health Insurance card as an ID (the other being the Ontario Photo Card)? It is technically a provincially-issued ID.

3. What other questions can guarantors and references expect to be asked (besides how long they've known the applicant for, what their occupation is, and what their physical description is)?

4. How long does it typically take for first-time passports to be issued?
1. This will be your Canadian citizenship certificate
2. Yes. Health Card (OHIP) is a valid ID.
3. Refer to the thread for other's experience and comments on questions to guarantors and references
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canadian-passport-question.193983/
4. In normal days the website states 20 business days by mail, but in the current pandemic, the applications submitted through the mail-in service can take more than 30 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html

cywhite

Jul 24, 2019
Thank you for your reply. According to this, the Canadian Citizenship Certificate is not a travel document.

Should I just answer "no" to this question:

Has a Canadian travel document (passport, certificate of identity or refugee travel document) been issued to you in your current name or any other name?

cursor18

May 31, 2015
Thank you for your reply. According to this, the Canadian Citizenship Certificate is not a travel document.

Should I just answer "no" to this question:

Has a Canadian travel document (passport, certificate of identity or refugee travel document) been issued to you in your current name or any other name?
That question is usually if you have ever been issued with an older Canadian passport or travel doc (in cases of renewal). Citizenship Cert is not a travel doc.
If this is your first fresh passport application, then answer as No or N/A

Reactions: cywhite

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Has anyone used notary oublic as gurantor? Is that ok to use? Will that hamper passport application
I have not applied using a notary public. But here is what I have learnt from the canada.ca website regarding the guarantor requirement.

The guarantor does not need to be your family member assuming you are applying for the regular (blue) passport. Please see the below link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#in-canada

You can use a notary public if you don't have a guarantor. But you will have to submit the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor (PPTC 132) and you will require additional references to be listed in this form that are not listed as reference in your passport application form. Also, it will cost you some additional fees for the notary service.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/adult-application.html#declaration

Another thing to note is that the PPTC 132 form is not available online. So you will have to check with the call center as the passport offices are not open yet for general public without an appointment.

The passport application form (PPTC 153) states this may delay the processing time of the passport in page 6 of 7. Other than this, I feel it is a very safe bet as everything is transparent and legally done and you can be rest assured about getting your passport.

Reactions: lulykibuly

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
Student Visa in 2011 for Postgraduate at Niagara Ontario
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017
I used my family friend( Husband and wife both Canadian) as a guarantor & reference also used another family friend as second reference(Canadian). BUT you can use canadian as your guarantor and permanent residency as references.

I submitted the following documents
- PPTC 153(06-2019) 7of 7 (for requirement checklist - applying for the first time so checked box 1,2,3,4 and 6 only and leave the one with Any valid Canadian travel document blank.
- Driver licence both front and back in one page and guarantor must signed by each side with date( two signatures with date)
- 2 Passport photos taken within last 6months and one certified by guarantor with date
- Original Canadian Citizenship Certificate
- Credit Card information
- I double check before sending by Canada post (Xpressport)

I became Canadian citizen in March 2020 but due corona virus all the Service Canada in Calgary was closed down( in person services). I read the news recently that Service Canada begins the gradual opening then I decided to send my Canadian passport application by mail (non urgent) with Canada post (Xpresspost) on August 9,2020 to passport program (Gatineau QC K1A0G3) and it was received on August 11 at 9:18am.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I contacted them on 21st Aug using the link :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/contact-passport-program.html

Got the following response on 24th of August 2020.
"Although we could have received your application, it has not been examined yet nor has a file been created in your name. Passport service have been suspended due to the COVID-19 situation. The processing of application will resume once the situation has been resolved
If you sent your passport application via courier or registered mail, we recommend that you communicate with the courier service provider in order to confirm that your passport application was delivered at the Passport Program.
For information concerning your passport application, please call 1-800-567-6868. Please do not reply to this email. We trust this information is of assistance to you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good news

I received a Xpressport envelope from passport office in Brampton containing returned Canadian citizenship Certificate , Passport Canada official receipt with my name on it and Mail-out date when I will receive my passport and also a small paper saying in reference to your passport application , you will find enclosed the following documents then list of checked boxes but they only checked Credit card receipt and Certificate of Canadian citizenship.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I contacted them again through the link on August 31, 2020 then received email on 2nd of September 2020

Your passport was sent to you by Xpresspost on August 28, 2020. The Canada Post item number is xxxxxxxxxxx You can track the delivery of your passport at www.canadapost.ca.

Warning: The status of an application can only be provided to the applicant.

VC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Canadapost Xpressport tracking number given to me I was able to track it on Canadapost app on my phone
Item accepted Mississauga, ON Aug 28 at 1:11pm
Item processed Mississauga, ON Sept 01 at 7:55pm
Item arrived Calgary , AB Sept 3 at 1:39am
Item processed Calgary,AB at Sept 3 at 6:19am
Item out for delivery Calgary,AB Sept 3 at 7:46am
Delivered Calgary ,AB at 11:32 am

Canada post worker pressed my doorbell at 11:32am to delivery my Canadian passport.

Last edited:

lulykibuly

Star Member
Dec 28, 2016
I used my family friend( Husband and wife both Canadian) as a guarantor & reference also used another family friend as second reference(Canadian). BUT you can use canadian as your guarantor and permanent residency as references.

I submitted the following documents
- PPTC 153(06-2019) 7of 7 (for requirement checklist - applying for the first time so checked box 1,2,3,4 and 6 only and leave the one with Any valid Canadian travel document blank.
- Driver licence both front and back in one page and guarantor must signed by each side with date( two signatures with date)
- 2 Passport photos taken within last 6months and one certified by guarantor with date
- Original Canadian Citizenship Certificate
- Credit Card information
- I double check before sending by Canada post (Xpressport)

I became Canadian citizen in March 2020 but due corona virus all the Service Canada in Calgary was closed down( in person services). I read the news recently that Service Canada begins the gradual opening then I decided to send my Canadian passport application by mail (non urgent) with Canada post (Xpresspost) on August 9,2020 to passport program (Gatineau QC K1A0G3) and it was received on August 11 at 9:18am.

I contacted them on 21st Aug using the link :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/contact-passport-program.html

Got the following response on 24th of August 2020.
"Although we could have received your application, it has not been examined yet nor has a file been created in your name. Passport service have been suspended due to the COVID-19 situation. The processing of application will resume once the situation has been resolved
If you sent your passport application via courier or registered mail, we recommend that you communicate with the courier service provider in order to confirm that your passport application was delivered at the Passport Program.
For information concerning your passport application, please call 1-800-567-6868. Please do not reply to this email. We trust this information is of assistance to you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good news

I received a Xpressport envelope from passport office in Brampton containing returned Canadian citizenship Certificate , Passport Canada official receipt with my name on it and Mail-out date when I will receive my passport and also a small paper saying in reference to your passport application , you will find enclosed the following documents then list of checked boxes but they only checked Credit card receipt and Certificate of Canadian citizenship.

I contacted them again through the link on August 31, 2020 then received email on 2nd of September 2020

Your passport was sent to you by Xpresspost on August 28, 2020. The Canada Post item number is xxxxxxxxxxx You can track the delivery of your passport at www.canadapost.ca.

Warning: The status of an application can only be provided to the applicant.

VC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Canadapost Xpressport tracking number given to me I was able to track it on Canadapost app on my phone
Item accepted Mississauga, ON Aug 28 at 1:11pm
Item processed Mississauga, ON Sept 01 at 7:55pm
Item arrived Calgary , AB Sept 3 at 1:39am
Item processed Calgary,AB at Sept 3 at 6:19am
Item out for delivery Calgary,AB Sept 3 at 7:46am
Delivered Calgary ,AB at 11:32 am

Canada post worker pressed my doorbell at 11:32am to delivery my Canadian passport.
So it is ok to use PPTC153 FORM with notary public....it will not have any impact on passport application..right?

Reactions: Ajkenniek

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017
So it is ok to use PPTC153 FORM with notary public....it will not have any impact on passport application..right?
When applying for a Canadian Passport, an applicant must have their application, passport photo, and, if applicable, copies of documents confirming their identity signed by an eligible Guarantor. A notary public may commission a Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor only when you do not have a qualified guarantor.

lulykibuly

Star Member
Dec 28, 2016
hey guys so for the documents to support identity in passport application, is driving licence enough? it says atleast 1 is required.....so I believe 1 is enough...please guide

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
hey guys so for the documents to support identity in passport application, is driving licence enough? it says atleast 1 is required.....so I believe 1 is enough...please guide
Driver's license is enough as the supporting document for your identity.

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017
yes