+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Time Landing, Urgent advice needed.

C-Smix

Nov 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney-Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
26-11-2013
File Transfer...
11-12-2013
Med's Request
29-04-2014
Med's Done....
22-05-2014, ECAS,Med received 29-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-08-2014
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
Dear All,

Finally, it is the time to land in Toronto. I am not moving permanently this time and I just want to validate my PR visa and completes landing procedures (only for 1 week). However, I have couple of questions and I do really appreciate for your kind guidance:

1- For proof of fund, do I need to have the specified amount in cash? Is an Australian bank statement sufficient rather than taking cash? Or if I have to take cash with me, can I just take Australian cash to prevent loss of money in exchange?

2- In "Declaration card" which we need to fill it at the time of landing, I have the following questions:
2-1- What should I write as home address? The Australian one or the address that I want my PR card to be posted?
2-2- Purpose of trip? should I tick the "personal" one?
2-3- Since I am going just for 1 week, should I fill the "Visitors to Canada' or leave it blank?

3- I have heard that I need to fill some forms about the goods that I want to freight at a later time including gold and jewelry. What does it mean by jewelry? any type of them or they are looking for expensive ones?

4- Do I need to have NEW photos with me for the PR card application? If so, those photos that are attached to the COPR are acceptable because they are more than 6 months old? (I just want to make sure that I will not face any problem in regards to the photos which are already approved by them because I am planning to come back after a week).

5- I know that I should not show my intention about my short trip. What if they asked? can I just reply I came permanently? Will it be a problem not to say the right answer as I want the PR card application to be started?

Sorry for my long post.

Thanks.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
You will have to pretend at the airport that you're moving to Canada. I've heard of someone in this forum being cancelled their PR visa (I can't find you a link right now, but maybe you can have a look) when they told the officer they'd be returning to the country within the month.

- Proof of funds = people say you should bring in cash, but mine wasn't checked at all when I landed in Vancouver. Take your Australian bank statement, and if they are picky about it (unlikely) tell them that you'd rather transfer your australian funds electronically to Canada once you have an open Canadian bank account. Sight safety purposes. Make an excuse about how picky banks in Australia are for withdrawing large amounts of cash. The Canadian dollar is taking a big hit every single day (has been declining steadily since Jan 1, and dropping to lower levels every single day). So if I were you, I wouldn't risk the loss of money this way, all the more because the CAD$ is performing rather badly.

- PR cards aren't mailed out to addresses outside Canada. You need to put in a Canadian address. Put in the address of any friend or relative you have in Canada, they can then courier you over the PR card later. CIC will not mail out a PR card to Australia.

- Purpose of trip, you are an immigrant here, not a visitor (read my first point)

- I don't think you'd be providing any more photos, the one with the COPR are the ones CIC will automatically use for your PR card.

- I would suggest speaking what I call 'selective truth'. Airport officers in Canada aren't half as tough as their Australian counterparts. So when they ask the purpose of your trip, you will just reply that you are migrating / moving to Canada. Don't mention time periods.

C-Smix

Nov 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney-Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2013
AOR Received.
26-11-2013
File Transfer...
11-12-2013
Med's Request
29-04-2014
Med's Done....
22-05-2014, ECAS,Med received 29-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-08-2014
LANDED..........
04-02-2015
Thanks mate. Appreciate it.

waiwera

Star Member
Mar 6, 2014
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2014
Doc's Request.
06-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014
Med's Request
03-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015 Additional Med Done: 01-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Rejected ^_^
LANDED..........
Let's try again some other time
jazibkg said:
- PR cards aren't mailed out to addresses outside Canada. You need to put in a Canadian address. Put in the address of any friend or relative you have in Canada, they can then courier you over the PR card later. CIC will not mail out a PR card to Australia.
Hi, what if we do not have any friend or relative in Canada to receive the PR Card?
example, PR card of Nova Scotia will/should be sent to Nova Scotia address, correct?
Really appreciate your advise. Cheers

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
waiwera said:
Hi, what if we do not have any friend or relative in Canada to receive the PR Card?
example, PR card of Nova Scotia will/should be sent to Nova Scotia address, correct?
Really appreciate your advise. Cheers
Then either receive the card by yourself or arrange a PO box with UPS after your landing. The PO box doesn't have to be in Nova Scotia. It could be in Ontario, Manitoba, etc.

waiwera

Star Member
Mar 6, 2014
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2014
Doc's Request.
06-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014
Med's Request
03-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015 Additional Med Done: 01-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Rejected ^_^
LANDED..........
Let's try again some other time
steaky said:
Then either receive the card by yourself or arrange a PO box with UPS after your landing. The PO box doesn't have to be in Nova Scotia. It could be in Ontario, Manitoba, etc.
Got it! thanks :)

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
jazibkg said:
You will have to pretend at the airport that you're moving to Canada. I've heard of someone in this forum being cancelled their PR visa (I can't find you a link right now, but maybe you can have a look) when they told the officer they'd be returning to the country within the month.

- Proof of funds = people say you should bring in cash, but mine wasn't checked at all when I landed in Vancouver. Take your Australian bank statement, and if they are picky about it (unlikely) tell them that you'd rather transfer your australian funds electronically to Canada once you have an open Canadian bank account. Sight safety purposes. Make an excuse about how picky banks in Australia are for withdrawing large amounts of cash. The Canadian dollar is taking a big hit every single day (has been declining steadily since Jan 1, and dropping to lower levels every single day). So if I were you, I wouldn't risk the loss of money this way, all the more because the CAD$ is performing rather badly.

- Purpose of trip, you are an immigrant here, not a visitor (read my first point)

- I don't think you'd be providing any more photos, the one with the COPR are the ones CIC will automatically use for your PR card.

- I would suggest speaking what I call 'selective truth'. Airport officers in Canada aren't half as tough as their Australian counterparts. So when they ask the purpose of your trip, you will just reply that you are migrating / moving to Canada. Don't mention time periods.
Regarding proof of funds: I'm afraid these are required at the time of landing no matter what excuses you may present. It would your good luck if they don't ask about them. You can bring in a check or demand draft in your own name for the amount required instead of cash.