+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Time Entry into Canada as PR

IMG2CANADA

Sep 27, 2017
Hi Guys,

I received my PPR and sent my passports to High Commission Canada. I am really excited about moving to Canada. This forum has been my silent partner throughout my application process and would like to thank each and every person who has raised and replied queries. I have a couple of more queries.

1. I understand I have to apply for Provincial Medical insurance after entering Canada. Do I have to get a short-term Medical Insurance before reaching Canada? Will it be asked by Immigration officer at Port of Entry?
2. I am planning to carry few thousand CAD, transfer few thousand CAD to Scotia bank account and keep rest of my cash in my Savings Bank account from India. So is that good enough to show as POF in POE?
3. From above POF, do I have to declare all three in customs or only cash in hand?
4. I know I have to declare everything I have in Hand and Check-in Luggage? But should I declare my used clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc? Or declare only new stuff like new thermal wears, new shoes, etc with tags?
5. Can I carry my two used mobile phones, External Hard disk, DSLR Camera? I have been using them for more than 2 years.
6. Is it mandatory, that the things I carry cannot have value over CAD 800? Because just by declaring above electronics declaration value is nearly CAD 1500.

Please let me know. Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
1. No. border officers do not ask for that.
Speaking of health insurance, Depending on your destination, there could be a waiting period before provincial insurance kicks in so for your own interest, you may want to consider purchasing commercial insurance plan to cover that period. For instance, in Ontario you need to wait for 3 months before OHIP becomes effective.
2. Should be good if you have bank statements with you.
3. You only have to declare cash or monetary instrument, e.g. travelers cheque, if you have over $10K on your person.

Not sure about declaring items in your luggage (I'm inland). Two phones and DSLR should be ok.
You can prepare a list of goods you intend to bring into the country and give it to the border officers. Don't think it will cause you any trouble as you are a new immigrant.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html

Last edited:

kaegon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2017
lets say on average 15-20days for those who are awaiting the return of their passport. Mind you, you should wait patiently like me
Approved status means that your passport has been stamped. Your chosen courier should be able to give you an estimate of the number of working days it should take.

@ContactFront @chikoo1985 Thanks for sharing this info. I got my APPROVED Status in the cic account today. Do you have any idea, how long will it take for me to get the passport back after this?