+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time - Canada passport application form filling - after oath

VedhaVyas

May 9, 2018
Hi All,

I have one question please if someone can help

I completed my oath ceremony and waiting for the certificate of citizenship

In the mean time I went ahead and tried to fill the passport application form pptc153

In that In section 1 for personal information

I see "Surname(last name) requested to appear in the passport "

my question:

1. Does it mean i can request as in how my name should apper ?

2. In my DL, Indian Passport, PR I have name all in one line in Given name as below

"Akula charan Ram"

BUT here my actual FN is Ram, MN Charan LN is Akula

Since it's in one line as Akula Charan Ram

In canada I to fly or in my work place people conside my
first name as:Akula
Middle name: Charan
Last name: Ram (which is not correct but I had no chance expect to go by this)

3. Since now in the application form I see it as "Surname(last name) requested to appear in the passport"

Can I fill in the right order (can I rearrange as below)

Surname: Akula
Given names: Ram Charan

Thank you

• Wow
Reactions: ramsay1212

ramsay1212

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Hi All,

I have one question please if someone can help

I completed my oath ceremony and waiting for the certificate of citizenship

In the mean time I went ahead and tried to fill the passport application form pptc153

In that In section 1 for personal information

I see "Surname(last name) requested to appear in the passport "

my question:

1. Does it mean i can request as in how my name should apper ?

2. In my DL, Indian Passport, PR I have name all in one line in Given name as below

"Akula charan Ram"

BUT here my actual FN is Ram, MN Charan LN is Akula

Since it's in one line as Akula Charan Ram

In canada I to fly or in my work place people conside my
first name as:Akula
Middle name: Charan
Last name: Ram (which is not correct but I had no chance expect to go by this)

3. Since now in the application form I see it as "Surname(last name) requested to appear in the passport"

Can I fill in the right order (can I rearrange as below)

Surname: Akula
Given names: Ram Charan

Thank you
Just state you surname in "Surname (last name)" field; your first name plus middle name in "Given names field".

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It won't be any issue right?
Since you've been using a different name variation, it may depend on what is on your PR card and other docs (driver's license, etc).

My experience - which I do not claim is perfect or all-encompassing - is that passport office wishes to see other documents (official) in the name variant you put in passport. First and easiest for them is the citizenship certificate (which will probably have what was on your PR card, assuming you didn't change it). But they will also use what is in driver's license (as a better example) for 'official' daily use. And they do and can, of course, ask for multiple docs. (Again in my experience passport office less picky about obvious derivations / short forms - eg Thomas to Tom - but yours is not that case.

Right now if you do not have other docs reflecting name as you would like it - my honest suggestion would be to go and do legal change of name in your province. When you have that change of name certificate - I think takes 30-90 days in most provinces - you can take that and citizenship certificate to apply for new passport, driver's license, etc., and sort it all out once and for all.

You don't really ever need to change your citizenship certificate, but if you want to, do it only AFTER getting your passport with name as you'd like it.