+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time applying for PR status.

KLM2308

Feb 19, 2016
Hi

I'm applying for the first time to get a permanent residence status in Canada and get a PR card (below is info regarding my current status):
- I'm currently located in Beijing. I myself am a Chinese citizen, my husband is a Canadian citizen.
- We've been together since 2011, married since 2014.
- I do not currently live in Canada and never have; however, I've been reading that I can gain PR status because I've been spending time outside Canada with a Canadian citizen. (as stated in the "Appendix A - Residency Obligation" guide on the CIC site.)
- I'm trying to fill in the required paperwork needed to get my PR card (forms IMM5444E, IMM5455B) ; however there's a section which asks me when I was granted PR status.
- Specifically on form IMM5444E under heading #16, it asks me for the place where I became a permanent resident.
- Again on form IMM5455B in the middle of the page, it asks me for the "date of permanent residence".
- I haven't been granted PR status. I'm applying for the first time. How do I fill this in? Am I even filling in the right form? Why ask me this question if I'm applying for the first time?

Any help of any kind would be immensely appreciated... thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are definitely filling out the wrong form. The form you mention is for people who are already PR and who need to renew their PR card. The info on sponsorship is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

KLM2308

Feb 19, 2016
thanks so much for the info!

but now there's a new problem i'm encountering....

I'm trying to download all the forms needed for Application for Sponsor for Family Class....
HOWEVER...

I can't download the following forms:
Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 539.27 KB)
Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 496.57 KB)
Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP] (PDF, 424.19 KB)

I'm getting the error message "To view the full contents of this document, please update to the latest version of Adobe Reader"....
I've already updated my browser and Adobe Reader and re-tried downloading these forms on 4 different computers all with updated browsers (Chrome and Safari) and I get the same message everytime....

What's going on?
Is there a different link to these forms somewhere else? because I've tried googling them and can't find them....
Can some tech ppl at CIC please fix this?