+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time apply Canada Passport

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hi guys how ever had experience, i just got my citizenship , i have plan to apply for Canadian passport , i know i need tow references and one guarantor , but my question is do my guarantor has to be or not?
practicing a profession such as:
  • judge
  • dentist
  • pharmacist
  • veterinarian
  • police officer
  • notary public
  • lawyer/notary
  • medical doctor
  • dean/head of university or college
  • signing officer

before i applied Canadian travel document and my medical doctor became my guarantor, but this time i dont have any profession guarantors but i have a lot Canadian friends,

thank you for answers

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

You are quoting from the list of possible professions for a guarantor when you apply from outside of Canada. In Canada the requirements are easier to meet.

Your guarantor must:
  • have known you for at least two years
    • if the guarantor is for your child’s passport, they must have known you for at least two years and must know of your child
  • be available if we need to contact them
  • be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older
  • provide the information needed that’s in their passport
  • have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

You are quoting from the list of possible professions for a guarantor when you apply from outside of Canada. In Canada the requirements are easier to meet.

Your guarantor must:
    • if the guarantor is for your child’s passport, they must have known you for at least two years and must know of your child
  • have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport
thank you

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi guys do i have to send my citizenship certificate with my passport application while im applying canadian passport or not

From How to apply for a new passport (emphasis mine):

Include the following documents with your application form:
If you apply at a passport office you will need to take all the necessary documents, but they will not need to keep your certificate.

theone

Star Member
Nov 1, 2006
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus/Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july2006
Doc's Request.
october 2010
File Transfer...
may2010
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
waiting
A follow up question:

Can the guarantor be a member of the family, like sister,brother,uncle or aunt??

Please advise?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
A follow up question:

Can the guarantor be a member of the family, like sister,brother,uncle or aunt??

Please advise?
Yes, as long as they meet the criteria.

Your guarantor must:

• hold a five-year or 10-year Canadian passport that, on the day you submit your application, is:
    • expired for no more than one year or
    • valid, meaning it isn’t:
      • expired
      • damaged
      • inaccessible
      • suspended or revoked
      • reported lost or stolen
      • found and returned
      • been destroyed by us
      • requested to be returned
If you’re the parent or legal guardian and you’re applying on behalf of your child, you cannot sign as guarantor on your child’s application. However, the other parent (not submitting the application) can sign as long as they meet the requirements.