02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
Hi,

I've been a PR since March 2011, I was not living in Canada nor did I have anything to do with Canada before becoming a PR. I filed my first tax declaration this year for the year of 2010 and claimed the solidarity tax credit (WITB according to CRA website) which as you know it's paid in a monthly statement from July 2011-June 2012. I filed both to CRA and Revenue Quebec since I live in Montreal. My earnings during 2010 (after becoming PR, not married, no children) were around $8500. So anyway, today I got a letter from CRA asking me to submit proof of earnings for 2010 before arriving to Canada so they can process my credit. Up to this day, I have not received the refund for the QC portion of my taxes either and I have called several times and the last time (last Thursday) I was told to wait for my account to update to see the refund. Now being monday, I still see no refund from Revenu QC and seeing this letter begs the following questions:

1. I have no way to demonstrate my income before arriving to this country. Where I come from, we don't file a tax declaration at all though I do have a few old receipts from my last job in my previous country and I can calculate my earnings for the months of January and February for 2010 + the payment for quitting. Would a cover letter explaining the situation and giving the calculations of said earnings using the exchange rate (and printing a copy of said exchange rate) from Bank of Canada be sufficient to CRA? Will these earnings, mild as they be, affect my benefits even if they're not related to Canada at all since I wasn't a PR then?

2. Did this affect the refund from Revenu QC I've been waiting for 3 months? CRA refunded me their portion in less than a month so what happened? As I mentioned, it's Monday and I have not seen any refund from Revenu QC in my bank account so how long before it shows up reflected? I'm using direct deposit for both CRA and Revenu QC.

Jonboy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
White Rock, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-07-1999
You became tax-resident in Canada in March 2010? If so, you are not entitled to federal WITB because one of the qualifications is that you are tax-resident in Canada for the whole of 2010. Quebec will no doubt have different rules.