+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Passport Application

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi, I got recently my citizenship certificate in Canada, I don´t expect to travel abroad in the next 3 months, but in 6 months. I read that we should wait to renew our passports unless it is for urgent travel. Does this also apply for new passports? what I need to apply for a new passport? I didn´t find the info.
Thanks for your comments!

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Hi, I got recently my citizenship certificate in Canada, I don´t expect to travel abroad in the next 3 months, but in 6 months. I read that we should wait to renew our passports unless it is for urgent travel. Does this also apply for new passports? what I need to apply for a new passport? I didn´t find the info.
Thanks for your comments!
Nope, it doesn't. You can apply. Look here for a respective thread (should be on the first page) where people apply and get their passports generally within a month. I wouldn't wait as the moment they go back to normal (although normalcy these days seems to have lost its sense) there will be an influx inevitably. I'd just apply.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Now is the time to get your passport, they are getting processed very quickly. I got mine in 11 business days.

Go to the CIC website and you can download the application and instructions. Basically, you’ll need to send them your citizenship certificate, copies of a picture ID that has a signature on it like a driver’s license that your guarantor has signed stating it’s your ID, 2 photos one with the photoplace’s stamp in the back and guarantor’s signature, a Canadian citizen that has known you for more than 2 years as a guarantor, and 2 people who have known you for at least 2 years as your references.

It sounds like a lot, but it’s not. It’ll probably only take you an hour to fill out the application. Just read the instructions and you’ll be fine. They are pretty clear.

FC15

Oct 4, 2019
Now is the time to get your passport, they are getting processed very quickly. I got mine in 11 business days.

Go to the CIC website and you can download the application and instructions. Basically, you’ll need to send them your citizenship certificate, copies of a picture ID that has a signature on it like a driver’s license that your guarantor has signed stating it’s your ID, 2 photos one with the photoplace’s stamp in the back and guarantor’s signature, a Canadian citizen that has known you for more than 2 years as a guarantor, and 2 people who have known you for at least 2 years as your references.

It sounds like a lot, but it’s not. It’ll probably only take you an hour to fill out the application. Just read the instructions and you’ll be fine. They are pretty clear.
Hi, What is the process time for Passport by mail ?

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Hi, What is the process time for Passport by mail ?
As mentioned in my post, it was 11 business days for me. Currently, any non-urgent application are only handled through mail in. At the time I applied, the website said it was 3-4 weeks, I got mine faster.

Reactions: itwillbegood

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
What is your timeline?
My final timeline:

Applied July 2019
In Progress Oct 30, 2019
Original Test: March 24, 2020
Online test invite: Dec 18,2020
Test taken: Dec 26,2020
Decision Made: Jan 7, 2021
Virtual Oath invite: Jan 22, 2021
Oath: Jan 29, 2021
Citizenship Certificate received: Feb 4, 2021
Passport Application delivered: Feb 10, 2021
Passport credit card charged: Feb 16, 2021
Email received about status request saying in process: Feb 23, 2021
Passport and Citizenship certificate received in mail: Feb 24, 2021

Reactions: Hapique

InGodITrust

Star Member
Apr 10, 2016

Hello, what about those who don't have a guarantor (I read family members aren't allowed)? Any workarounds?

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
My final timeline:

Applied July 2019
In Progress Oct 30, 2019
Original Test: March 24, 2020
Online test invite: Dec 18,2020
Test taken: Dec 26,2020
Decision Made: Jan 7, 2021
Virtual Oath invite: Jan 22, 2021
Oath: Jan 29, 2021
Citizenship Certificate received: Feb 4, 2021
Passport Application delivered: Feb 10, 2021
Passport credit card charged: Feb 16, 2021
Email received about status request saying in process: Feb 23, 2021
Passport and Citizenship certificate received in mail: Feb 24, 2021
Congrats.. can I ask you if you were a non-routine application or just regular? I guess Covid impacted your ability to get citizenship earlier hasn’t it?

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Congrats.. can I ask you if you were a non-routine application or just regular? I guess Covid impacted your ability to get citizenship earlier hasn’t it?
Just a regular. Yeah, covid delayed my citizenship. I was supposed to have my test on March 24, 2020, but it got canceled.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Reactions: InGodITrust

blingyrie

May 10, 2017
Hi, I’m filling out the forms for my family and noticed some have bar codes at the top while some doesn’t. Is the barcode mandatory for the apps? Tnx

minijoo

Star Member
Jan 7, 2021
Greater Vancouver Area
Hi, I’m filling out the forms for my family and noticed some have bar codes at the top while some doesn’t. Is the barcode mandatory for the apps? Tnx
If you mean the QR code at the top right corner of the application page 1, it generates as you fill out your application with all the necessary information.

Though, in my case, once I save the file when partially filled out and open it up again, the extended features like fillables weren't working not generating the QR code. I think I read somewhere that it's for office use that they can simply scan the QR code to fill out the paperwork on their end.

Reactions: blingyrie