+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First landing to Canada - Duration to complete the immigration procedure as a first landing immigrant at Toronto airport.

GR123

Star Member
Apr 27, 2020
Poland
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Finally, I’ve received my COPR, so the next step is to travel to Canada.
I will be travelling to Moncton via Toronto.
Since its first time travel to Canada, I would like to get few clarity.
  1. Duration to complete the immigration procedure as a first landing immigrant. I guess, I will be completing the PR card formalities with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at Toronto airport.
  2. How much time to we need to catch the connecting flight?
Thanks,

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Finally, I’ve received my COPR, so the next step is to travel to Canada.
I will be travelling to Moncton via Toronto.
Since its first time travel to Canada, I would like to get few clarity.
  1. Duration to complete the immigration procedure as a first landing immigrant. I guess, I will be completing the PR card formalities with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at Toronto airport.
  2. How much time to we need to catch the connecting flight?
Thanks,
Congrats.

You haven't shown us your connecting flight details.

GTA is a massively busy airport and you can expect a lot of people will be waiting in customs to complete the landing process/issuance of work permits/other immigration matters. People wait hours to get permits or PR landing info activated.

Generally speaking though, if you're delayed due to immigration purposes, they should be able to rebook your connecting free of charge. But make sure you take responsibility in ensuring you leave a good amount of hours in between landing, immigration, connecting flight - and possible delays such as a nasty officer who wants to ask you lots of questions and make sure you're going to move to Moncton permanently - when booking your tickets.

And note they may even pull you aside for a random COVID test to add to your delays.

In essence, leave a very generous gap between your flights, but I wouldn't stay overnight given it sounds like you'll have many, many bags.

Welcome to Canada!

GR123

Star Member
Apr 27, 2020
Poland
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Congrats.

How would we know? You haven't shown us your connecting flight details.

GTA is a massively busy airport and you can expect a lot of people will be waiting in customs to complete the landing process/issuance of work permits.

Generally speaking though, if you're delayed due to immigration purposes, they should be able to rebook your connecting free of charge. But make sure you take responsibility in ensuring you leave a good amount of hours in between landing, immigration, connecting flight - and possible delays.
@moscatojuices , Thanks for your response, I yet to book flight. So thought of checking here before I reserve my ticket.

I have three options,
1) Connecting flight duration is 2:40 hrs (Toronto airport)
2) Connecting flight duration is 13 hrs (Toronto airport).
3) Connecting flight duration is 8 hrs (Montreal airport).

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
@moscatojuices , Thanks for your response, I yet to book flight. So thought of checking here before I reserve my ticket.

I have three options,
1) Connecting flight duration is 2:40 hrs (Toronto airport)
2) Connecting flight duration is 13 hrs (Toronto airport).
3) Connecting flight duration is 8 hrs (Montreal airport).
2:40 hrs seems a little tight. I'm on the IEC visa groups and most people entering through GTA, Vancouver or Montreal are saying they're typically waiting 2-3 hours just for a work permit.

Personally, I'd take option #2 or #3 and if I finish landing process early, I'd take the opportunity to explore downtown GTA or Montreal (good train systems) and celebrate my first day in Canada before heading to Moncton. You probably won't get to travel outside NB for a while.

Reactions: scylla

GR123

Star Member
Apr 27, 2020
Poland
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
2:40 hrs seems a little tight. I'm on the IEC visa groups and most people entering through GTA, Vancouver or Montreal are saying they're typically waiting 2-3 hours just for a work permit.

Personally, I'd take option #2 or #3 and if I finish landing process early, I'd take the opportunity to explore downtown GTA or Montreal (good train systems) and celebrate my first day in Canada before heading to Moncton. You probably won't get to travel outside NB for a while.
@moscatojuices , Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I will try with option 2/3.