+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Landing..few important things to do!!

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
For all those who are planning their first landing soon, here are some very important things to be added in the to-do list:

- Submit your credentials for evaluation at Centre for Continuing Studies (Univ of Toronto). They will mail the evaluated documents back to any international destination after 2-3 months. This will save you a lot of time when you relocate later to Canada. But ensure you have the complete credentials with you. You have to submit only color photocopies and originals are required only for verification. Also, ensure to carry all the transcripts and certificates of both bachelors and masters along with you.
- Open a bank account. I would suggest RBC or Scotia. Both have a huge network across Canada
- Apply for your SIN. Keep a local address (relative preferred) ready for sending your PR Cards. This will be asked at the airport on arrival.
- If you plan to bring your cargo later, keep a printed list of items ready with you.
- Carry your funds in the form of a Canadian Dollar Draft
- Try to visit job consultants specific to your job profile.
- Also, try to visit settlement organizations like Acces Employment or COSTI to get an idea about job market
- Get a weekly TTC Metro pass and roam around Toronto Grin Get to know the city well:)

One week is more than enough to complete the above tasks.

kirangrewal

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for the useful information....But i have a question why we need to submit our documents to Toronto university....what is the use of that...?

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
kirangrewal said:
Thanks for the useful information....But i have a question why we need to submit our documents to Toronto university....what is the use of that...?
The Centre of Continuing Studies under UoT is one of the many organizations which assist in the credential evaluation process. I found their process to be very easy as compared to WES. Here is the link for more info:

http://learn.utoronto.ca/international-professionals/comparative-education-service-ces