+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

first apply for spousal TRV and then outland PR?

sjcdn01

Sep 16, 2019
this is my second posting on this forum, as the first was a query posted in someone else (similar) thread, and for which i had not recieved any comments/reponse/whatever. So, please bear with me if i am double posting.

I am a canadian who has been non-resident for the past 10+ years in Netherlands. I have dual Dutch and Canadian citizenship/passport. My spouse for 8 years now is a China national with EU resident and work permit.

Our plan is:
1. firstly for my spouse to apply for a TRV, with me as the sponsor. The main purpose is to allow my spouse to make a first visit to Canada, and for us to check out the apartment rentals and other living conditions,
2. After 2 to 3 months on a TRV, we will return to Netherlnds, and be in a better position to make up our minds whether we want to apply for a Canadian PR (outland)
3. according to the CICC website an application for a TRV will take 8 weeks, compared to applying for a PR which can easily take up to a year. So, with the plan above, we should be able to make up our minds on whether to move to Canada within 4 months instead of being in a 'limbo' for the 12 months it takes a PR to be approved.

i woud greatly appreciate any responses, criticisms, suggestions, recommendations, etc, especially:
a) how does the above plan compares with applying for an outland PR first and then (when sponsor approval is obtained?) to apply for a 'scouting' TRV?

b). any recommendations to convince CICC that whiile we do have "dual intent' (ie to move to and live in Canada), we will abide by the law and definitely return to Netherlands after the TRV

thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your wife may struggle to get a TRV. You can't invite her to Canada if you don't live in Canada. She can apply for a TRV on her own without an invitation.