+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FINGERPRINTS REQUEST, CIC's new delaying tactic?

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
It seems there's lately a dramatic increase in fingerprints requests. Is this CIC's new delaying tactic? Once you get hit with this, your app automatically becomes a non-routine app (35 mo). If you received the fingerprints request but successfully got your citizenship later, please report your timeline. That is, how long it took before you got invited to the test? I'm excluding RQ cases here.

Reactions: mickey_mouse

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
EasyRider said:
I haven't noticed. Where's your info from, is it increased reporting of forums?
I heard it from the people at one of the digital fingerprinting services, and also there seems to be more people getting fingerprints requests here--there were a few threads on this topic. I doubt there will be any official report on this, considering CIC's past history of hiding its delaying tactics from the public.

Sep 24, 2013
I think if you change your way of looking at things then you will find completely different reason. Fingerprints are more accurate in determining someone's involvement with law specially related with crime. Citizenship is a big issue and personally I would prefer them to ask for everyone's fingerprint during the process of application. I had to do my finger prints and I think it was reasonable time even after doing the finger prints. I had applied for citizenship in Nov 11, they started processing my application in September 12. Got fingerprint request in Oct 12. First invite to appear for test in March 13. Had changed location so got second invite in Sept 13 and I took oath in Sept 13.

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
I did fingerprints in July and called in August to know that all is okay, however my file has been transferred from local office in Kitchener to St. Claire!! Any similar cases?!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
CanadianSummer said:
Fingerprints are more accurate in determining someone's involvement with law specially related with crime. Citizenship is a big issue and personally I would prefer them to ask for everyone's fingerprint during the process of application.
I fully agree... I can't believe they weren't doing this sooner

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
CanadianSummer said:
I think if you change your way of looking at things then you will find completely different reason. Fingerprints are more accurate in determining someone's involvement with law specially related with crime. Citizenship is a big issue and personally I would prefer them to ask for everyone's fingerprint during the process of application. I had to do my finger prints and I think it was reasonable time even after doing the finger prints. I had applied for citizenship in Nov 11, they started processing my application in September 12. Got fingerprint request in Oct 12. First invite to appear for test in March 13. Had changed location so got second invite in Sept 13 and I took oath in Sept 13.
It worked out for you although it took about five months after the fingerprints request. And you should feel lucky you didn't get RQ.

Sep 24, 2013
corazon3 said:
It worked out for you although it took about five months after the fingerprints request. And you should feel lucky you didn't get RQ.
Waiting for Citizenship for me was less anxious than PR. There is not much we loose by delay in Citizenship except right to vote, no more residency requirements and some federal jobs. Personally I would prefer CIC to ask for everyone's finger print before giving citizenship so we can make sure than we are having law abiding people becoming Canadians. Some may disagree with my view but it is my own personal view. I was not worried about RQ because I did not travel outside Canada since I got my PR in 2009 and had filed my Income tax every year. Overall I don't mind extra 5 months wait time due to security clearance as compared to writing the test and then waiting 6 months for oath. I do consider myself lucky to not have a long wait between writing the test and doing oath though.

Anyway, getting a Canadian citizenship is privilege and not a right. I don't think CIC need to give excuse by asking for finger prints to justify the processing time. If they need to delay things deliberately then there are so many documents which they can ask from applicants which will stretch the time from the applicant side to gather those documents.

Reactions: Peace65

quinnman

Star Member
May 14, 2013
The lady taking my fingerprints commented that it was incredibly strange that there was a large increase in numbers. She said the numbers had increased dramatically the last year (Winnipeg)

garrylangroya

Jun 16, 2014
quinnman said:
The lady taking my fingerprints commented that it was incredibly strange that there was a large increase in numbers. She said the numbers had increased dramatically the last year (Winnipeg)
I applied for citizenship on Nov 2013 and got a letter for fingerprints in may 2014. I hope my application has not gone for non-routine application. anyone recently had similar to this?

believe13

Star Member
Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
garrylangroya said:
I applied for citizenship on Nov 2013 and got a letter for fingerprints in may 2014. I hope my application has not gone for non-routine application. anyone recently had similar to this?
Hi

I applied sept 13 for FP rqst March 14, thought might be a long 36mnth non-routine delay but got called for test few weeks ago did test & passed last week so FP doesnt necessarily mean a long wait once you have no criminal background/charges you should be fine.

Every case is different though. Good luck!

Paukman

Jan 13, 2009
garrylangroya said:
My case is similar.
Application received in October 25th 2013
Process started January 22nd 2014
Fingerprints requested April 2nd 2014.

I called them to check weather they have received it, and yes they have.
No change when I check status online, still "in process".
My colleague from work had similar story, and she got her test date aprox. 6 months after fingerprints request (last year)
All this is in Calgary.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
corazon3 said:
It seems there's lately a dramatic increase in fingerprints requests. Is this CIC's new delaying tactic? Once you get hit with this, your app automatically becomes a non-routine app (35 mo). If you received the fingerprints request but successfully got your citizenship later, please report your timeline. That is, how long it took before you got invited to the test? I'm excluding RQ cases here.
my wife got fingerprint request, 3 months later she got test letter. no rq

colocho13

Star Member
Jan 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
16-09-2015
Med's Done....
22-05-2015
has anyone received fingerprints request this year ? and particularly after the citizenship test/interview?

I had my test and interview a month ago and it went all fine but received fingerprints request this week

Sanny27

Jul 1, 2015
They request mine fingerprint just before the test on 13th may. i called CIC after 10 days to make sure they got FP from RCMP , the agent told me that they received it and are processing my application. 2 months passed, no any update and my ECAS shows application still in process.