+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fingerprints, medicals, clearance certificates, and job before aip - In Canada

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
I just want to get clarification about the fingerprinting process and how is taking 12-16 weeks from the FBI.

I gather I am suppose to go to the LOCAL PD in the US and give them the immigration Appendix a & b.

They are suppose to run my local history to clear me and GIVE me a original letter. Then finger print me with the finger print cards and give them to me. After that, i just put that along with the rest of the application. With regards to the 12-16 weeks, do i understand that the CIC will send my fingerprints to the FBI for checking and its taking THEM (CIC) 12-16 weeks? Because if I am suppose to be sending it to the FBI, then I am really confuse. can some please clear that up for me?

Now, if I am doing INSIDE-CANADA sponsorship, is it better to mail to the local pd in the us where i live and have them send it to me? or is it ok to do it prior to coming to Canada?

Just to burn the question once again. When I am waiting for AIP, I can look for a job. If i happen to find an employer to hire me and apply for me a working permit, then I can end up working before I receive AIP and OWP? (so long as the employer meets the criteria of special skills that they can't find adn they have advertised for x amount of time etc)

If I am going to do IN-CANADA sponsorship, is better that I do the medical IN CANADA? but i can get the finger printing and background clearances from where I am in the us?

thanks.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
no they wont do it for you, you have to mail away for fbi urself,So your first step is to get the ink fingerprints done at an authorized agency. Then you will mail the prints, a money order for $18USD, the FBI cover letter , and the CIC clearance request letter ,to the FBI address in West Virginia - provided on their website. ABSOLUTELY indicate that you want expedited service - space for this information is provided on the FBI cover letter. Give them about 6 weeks for a timeline and indicate that the reason is "Canadian Immigration". Write this same information on the OUTSIDE of your mailing envelope. If you don't do this you'll wait 4-6 months to receive your clearance - but I did this and received all three clearances I had to order within 3 weeks! The FBI will return your ink fingerprint card, with an official stamp on the back, as your clearance. This needs to be submitted to CIC within three months of receipt.

as far as state police clearance
Here's a link to a list of all the State agencies - I don't know how old this is, so you might want to call the ones that are applicable to you and ask what they require now. http://www.geocities.com/canadian_immigration_club/state.html

not sure about what u need to do for inside canada application, i think its all different than outside.

im doing outside but i have heard you should send ur application for OWP along with the fees at same time you send your app for PR and request they hold it until AIP.

Hope this little bit helps you

Just curious why are you doing inland app? outland is so much faster. are you living in canada?or US?

medicals are way cheaper if done in canada and you can get them done in canada even if you live outside of canada and doing an outside app. Just FYI

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
Thanks for the reply:

So, the first thing to do is get a set of fingerprints from the LOCAL PD where i am in the US and tell them is for immigration purposes and give them "APPENDIX B -FINGERPRINTS REQUEST LETTER".................?

UPON RECEIVING MY FINGER PRINTS, I will send in my fingerprints to the fbi place. (IS THE FBI COVER LETTER APPENDIX B)? IF SO, WHERE does it mention that I can ask them to expedite it? I am really dearly confused. who do I give Appendix B to. is there a way the status on the request cAn be checked? I do not need the STATE clearance letter to be submitted with the Fingerprints rgiht? Tha is two seperate things right?

Now is that different than 'Request for police certificates" Appendix A? Appendix A is to be sent with a complete set of Fingerprints to the STATE that you live in? If thats the case, I'd need two sets? I am really confused. becasue the state I live in, asks for the reason for the request which i can just submit appendix a to and it asks for fingerprints. So thats why i don't quite understand this.

Can anyone please give me a little bit more steer of a direction on this. This is for in-canada application because I do not want to be seperated from my spouse after marriage. Though i know is a longer process. I plan to get the fbi clearances and the state police clearances in the US and then doing the medicals in the Canada.

Thank you. osrry for the 1000 questions on the same issue.

Best Regards

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
Hi........... Anymore help i can get? This main question is the process i need and what i need for in-canada sponsorship interms of fingerprints and state clearnace certificates.

Thanks............ AKA insomniac

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
HOPe I get a little bit more confirmation about this subject again. Sorry to not understand. Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
No matter where you're living, the process for getting an FBI background check is the same.

1) You get your fingerprints taken. You can do this at some police stations, or you can go to a private company to get it done. It has to be on a standard fingerprint card, but a private company will have them. You'll likely be charged a fee to have your prints taken.

2) Fill out the information on the fingerprint card and mail it to the FBI along with a completed cover letter (use the one from the FBI website) and a money order for $18. Alternatively, you can download the credit card billing form from the FBI website and include it; they'll charge your credit card $18.

3) There is no way to pay for expediting your FBI background check. However, if you write in big letters on the outside of the envelope that you would like them to PLEASE EXPEDITE your background check, they will give it priority attention. You should also write PLEASE EXPEDITE on the cover letter.

4) As an additional option, you can expedite the mail by sending it to the FBI via courier (FedEx, Express Mail, etc.). Note, however, that the FBI will not charge your credit card for sending your background check back to you. Therefore, if you want them to send it back via courier, you have to do one of the following:

a. Send them a pre-paid, pre-adressed USPS Express Mail envelope.
b. Send them a pre-addressed FedEx air waybill with a valid FedEx account number to charge (you can call FedEx to get your own number).

Note that the FBI doesn't need anything special from your visa application in order to process your background check. They just need you to fill out the cover letter completely, and for you to have enclosed the fingerprint card and money order/credit card payment.

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
Oh, there is a cover letter from the fbi website...... ok............................

how what about state clerance certificates.......... the fbi does not need that right? and the in-land application requires that right/ (the police certificate form the local plac eyou use to live) and is that still necessary for the application itself........

ok, now that that one is out of the way........ THANK YOU SO MUCH

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
The FBI doesn't need a state certificate from you. CIC will request it if they need it. They don't always request them, and since state certificates don't take long to acquire, I wouldn't bother until/unless you're asked.

AJE

Mar 16, 2008
hi ive just read all the questions you have been asking about the background clearance. I'm starting the same process too. I just wanted to know one thing. You dont need to get a seperate sheet form the state and one from the fbi..you just need one from the fbi correct?

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
Hi AJE - you may have to have a different cover letter for state clearence. I had my clearence done for Illinois, South Carolina and Michigan - and they are all different. Contact your state police for details.

AJE

Mar 16, 2008
hey gk thanks for your advice.. im a little confused as to what the differnce between a state clearance and an fbi clearance is. I figured the fbi would overshadow the state beings they would have all your information anyways...

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
That's what I thought too. However, I don't think all states report everything to the FBI? I really don't know, but I was adviced to get the records from States Police up front rather than having CIC ask me for it delaying the process. The fee for State Records is between $15-30 depending on state.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
Just google your state police and you'll find directions on-line, or call them and they will give you instructions. In my case, Illinois State requires you to order a form with a unique serial number and the enitre process took 4-5 weeks. South Carolina was really fast less than 2 weeks and only required a cover letter with your personal info