+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fingerprints for Police Certificate from Mexico

gmantecon

Jan 27, 2021
Hello everyone,
I'm from Mexico and I've been living in Canada for the last 4 years (study permit then pgwp). Last December I applied to permanent residency(after ITA) and after one month I got an email form the IRCC asking me to provide a Police Certificate.
After reading the information provided here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/mexico.html

It seems that my situation falls under the “If you live outside of Mexico…” section which says that I have to send some documents to the Embassy of Canada in Mexico so they can request the police certificate on may behalf.

Among those documents I’m required to provide two sets of original fingerprints. These have to be rolled and flat impressions of all 10 fingers taken with black ink.
Due to covid-19, accredited fingerprint agencies in Ottawa(Ontario) are not taking INK fingerprints. They do offer services such as taking them digital and printing them into the requested form.

My question would be: Has anyone applied for the police certificate through the Canadian Embassy using printed digital fingerprints lately?
I don't know what to d. I've tried calling the Canadian embassy in Mexico, emailed them and even messaged them on social media.
If anyone knows anything about this particular issue during covid times please let me know, it'd be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

belcat

Apr 17, 2020
Did you get a reply yet? We submitted digital ones and have yet to hear anything back from that police certificate request...

TheMollusk

Jul 2, 2021
Did you get a reply yet? We submitted digital ones and have yet to hear anything back from that police certificate request...
Has either of you heard anything back? I'm in the exact same boat. Just got my digital fingerprints taken.

gmantecon

Jan 27, 2021
Has either of you heard anything back? I'm in the exact same boat. Just got my digital fingerprints taken.
Hey,
I haven't heard anything from IRCC. I did nonetheless get a reply from the Canadian Embassy in Mexico city acknowledging that the received my documents and that they forwarded them to the Mexican authorities. They said that due to the covid-19 restrictions it would take between 60 and 75 business days for the Mexican Police to send the results back to the IRCC...

Its been around 55 days and I haven't gotten any update on my profile :(, I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes.

TheMollusk

Jul 2, 2021
Hey,
I haven't heard anything from IRCC. I did nonetheless get a reply from the Canadian Embassy in Mexico city acknowledging that the received my documents and that they forwarded them to the Mexican authorities. They said that due to the covid-19 restrictions it would take between 60 and 75 business days for the Mexican Police to send the results back to the IRCC...

Its been around 55 days and I haven't gotten any update on my profile :(, I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes.
Oh heck...well thanks for letting me know. Wonder if I can send the documents to my mom back in Mexico and see if she can apply for me. I saw another thread saying that it was quicker that way tho I'm not sure how to do it, or if it's even possible with covid lol. Best of luck!!

belcat

Apr 17, 2020
We sent a web form and they replied that "they had all the documents that they needed" . Not sure if I trust that reply, but that would mean they got the police report. The request was delivered by mail to the embassy February. So, it would be about 4 months.

gmantecon

Jan 27, 2021
We sent a web form and they replied that "they had all the documents that they needed" . Not sure if I trust that reply, but that would mean they got the police report. The request was delivered by mail to the embassy February. So, it would be about 4 months.
Lets hope that's what they meant by that...BTW When did you get the confirmation from the Canadian Embassy that they sent your documents to the police? Mine were sent to the police on March 16. I tried calling IRCC but I can't reach an officer :/

belcat

Apr 17, 2020
Lets hope that's what they meant by that...BTW When did you get the confirmation from the Canadian Embassy that they sent your documents to the police? Mine were sent to the police on March 16. I tried calling IRCC but I can't reach an officer :/
I never got anything from the embassy. The only thing we ever got was the postman's confirmation the mail was delivered. You won't get an officer, just an agent, and it's probably not going to be any different than the web form (just quicker - if you get through - they say to call early when the lines open).
Though, IMHO, if you got a reply from the embassy, you're good and just need to wait.

Last edited:

mapple007

Oct 2, 2020
Hi guys, did your application go OK with the digital fingerprints?

Also, the RCMP did not give us the signature of the officer on the fingerprints form, only the officer's name is provided. Was this similar to yours?

Thank you,