+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fingerprinting request - a thing of joy or worry?

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hi All,

After I have passed medicals, CIC just sent me a letter requesting that my fingerprints be collected. I understand this is a new request from immigrants. Wondering if this brings me closer to my PR card - or it is just the start of the background check. Will this mean past employers have been contacted, just to determine my admissibility in Canada?

arsmith1992

May 12, 2018
Hello.
I had a similar situation. I submitted my PR application on June 4. I received a letter requesting fingerprints through the RCMP on June 19. I submitted them within a week and then did not hear any updates until my PR was approved, which was in October. Hope that helps to give you a timeframe.
I do not believe they contact previous employers.
Best of luck.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
After I have passed medicals, CIC just sent me a letter requesting that my fingerprints be collected. I understand this is a new request from immigrants. Wondering if this brings me closer to my PR card - or it is just the start of the background check. Will this mean past employers have been contacted, just to determine my admissibility in Canada?
The only thing it means is that the name-based check (that IRCC conducts for ALL applicants) did not come back as clear. So there is a criminal record for someone with your name (exact or similar). The only way to determine whether that was you (or hopefully, not), is to do a fingerprint-based search.

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks guys! Surprised to hear yours was through RCMP. But, @jes_OM, in my case, they have asked me to go outside Canada if already in Canada (which is the case). I wonder why, since the purpose is just for fingerprints which could be done at a POE or inside Canada . Could that be because I submitted my PR application while in the US (doing an internship) - despite that my mailing address is Canada PLUS my spouse, the main applicant, who hasn't been asked for a biometrics, is currently working in Canada. Or do you think that I need to let CIC know I'm no longer in the US - for future cases, as it's unlikely that I can do this in Canada as they have specifically said I have to go outside Canada, if already inside.