+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding social worker to help with health issues in Montreal

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello
My son, who is 22, moved from Montreal to BC 8 months ago and didn’t have any government insurance in both provinces and cannot apply to RAMQ before July 10th due to RO issues.
he is bipolar and has been in a hospital in BC since a month. They will discharge him next week and because he needs to return to Montreal to join the family, in order to discharge him they want a mental health program/team they can get in touch with first in order to make sure he continues treatment.
I do not know where to start in Montreal since he doesn’t have medical Insurance there.

please advise, I am lost

many thanks
Hady

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello
My son, who is 22, moved from Montreal to BC 8 months ago and didn’t have any government insurance in both provinces and cannot apply to RAMQ before July 10th due to RO issues.
he is bipolar and has been in a hospital in BC since a month. They will discharge him next week and because he needs to return to Montreal to join the family, in order to discharge him they want a mental health program/team they can get in touch with first in order to make sure he continues treatment.
I do not know where to start in Montreal since he doesn’t have medical Insurance there.

please advise, I am lost

many thanks
Hady
Meeting the RO has nothing to do with qualifying for healthcare. They have entirely different requirements.

Start by just Googling mental health support in Quebec.

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Thank you Canuck.
Instead of waiting till July (until RO is met) to apply since it has nothing to do with it, do you recommend that we apply as soon as possible? Knowing that two of us who have not met the RO yet have no valid PR.
Among the required documents it needs a Certificat du Selection and a PR or valid governmental document that proves status; will the landing document be accepted instead of a PR?

thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Canuck.
Instead of waiting till July (until RO is met) to apply since it has nothing to do with it, do you recommend that we apply as soon as possible? Knowing that two of us who have not met the RO yet have no valid PR.
Among the required documents it needs a Certificat du Selection and a PR or valid governmental document that proves status; will the landing document be accepted instead of a PR?

thanks
Your best bet is to call a mental health hospital. Given mental health resources are extremely stretched, covid and the fact that you will have to pay privately it may be difficult to find a social worker. Although it may actually be easier if you pay privately. Many mental health services are not covered so you already pay cash or it gets covered oby extended health benefits so if you are paying your chances of finding someone may increase. Hopefully your private health insurance covered the initial hospitalization.

In terms of RAMQ your son still doesn’t have a valid PR card and had not met his RO which will likely still be an issue but you can certainly try.

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Thank you.
I will try first thing in the morning to call a mental health hospital in Montreal.

if we apply to RAMQ before July will this trigger any RO investigation?

one more thing. We came to Montreal on July 15th 2018. My son left to BC in Sept 1st 2019. If he comes back to Montreal by mid of April 2020 will he be eligible for RAMQ?

thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you.
I will try first thing in the morning to call a mental health hospital in Montreal.

one more thing. We came to Montreal on July 15th 2018. My son left to BC in Sept 1st 2019. If he comes back to Montreal by mid of April 2020 will he be eligible for RAMQ?

thanks
RAMQ and immigration are separate. Very unlikely to report your son. The issue is whether he actually qualifies for RAMQ. He certainly will have to wait for 3 months no matter what since he doesn’t meet the residency obligations to qualify for RAMQ since he has not been living in Quebec. Unfortunately I would be planning to pay for care for at least 3 months if not more and speak to your private insurance plan to see what they may cover. I would also be asking the BC hospital whether he will be discharged if you can’t organize this fast enough. The honest facts are that mental health beds are very scarce and so the bed is needed. Would suggest you book at flight to go pick him up as soon as possible. Unfortunately you will find out that mental health care often comes down to families.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you Canuck.

thanks
You may as well try.

Thank you.

thanks
No, applying for RAMQ will not trigger an investigation with IRCC.

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
My wife has lost all the appeals and we are now waiting for a departure order in order to apply for an ERAR. She’s been here now since November 2017. Can she apply for RAMQ using her landing document or she is not eligible because she lost her residency? Is it this way, or it is two different entities?

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife has lost all the appeals and we are now waiting for a departure order in order to apply for an ERAR. She’s been here now since November 2017. Can she apply for RAMQ using her landing document or she is not eligible because she lost her residency? Is it this way, or it is two different entities?

thanks
No, of course she can't apply. She doesn't have status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

thanks
I assume there is a high likelihood you may be from Israel which would not result in a positive ERAR.