+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding a job in Canada

banrad

Star Member
May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then start with researching geography.... Ottawa is a city in the province of Ontario. When you're in Ottawa, you're in Ontario. You can't be "studying in Ontario or Ottawa".

And now in earnest:
You should really do your research to learn more about what it takes to immigrate and find a job in Canada. If you say that you've been going through a tough time while job hunting in Finland, believe me, this might be a similar story here in Canada. If you find it difficult to find a job in a country where you went to schools and know the environment, you might wound up pretty disillusioned landing in Canada. Landing a job in your field here might require at least double the effort if not more.
Btw, Ottawa is a tough job market if you don't speak French and don't have experience working for Canadian governmental institutions. I lived there one year long before moving to Toronto. If I were you, I would avoid Ottawa in the first place. Your better shot would be the Greater Toronto Area (Toronto and the cities around).

I don't mean to scare you, but be realistic. And just because it isn't easy, it doesn't mean you can't make it. Many of us have done so. So head up and do your due diligence!
As for job listings, you might check out workopolis.com for a start, as scylla also suggested.

Fingers crossed for your quest! ;)

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
banrad said:
Then start with researching geography.... Ottawa is a city in the province of Ontario. When you're in Ottawa, you're in Ontario. You can't be "studying in Ontario or Ottawa".

And now in earnest:
You should really do your research to learn more about what it takes to immigrate and find a job in Canada. If you say that you've been going through a tough time while job hunting in Finland, believe me, this might be a similar story here in Canada. If you find it difficult to find a job in a country where you went to schools and know the environment, you might wound up pretty disillusioned landing in Canada. Landing a job in your field here might require at least double the effort if not more.
Btw, Ottawa is a tough job market if you don't speak French and don't have experience working for Canadian governmental institutions. I lived there one year long before moving to Toronto. If I were you, I would avoid Ottawa in the first place. Your better shot would be the Greater Toronto Area (Toronto and the cities around).

I don't mean to scare you, but be realistic. And just because it isn't easy, it doesn't mean you can't make it. Many of us have done so. So head up and do your due diligence!
As for job listings, you might check out workopolis.com for a start, as scylla also suggested.

Fingers crossed for your quest! ;)
What I actually meant is that to search job either in Ontario or Quebec, I thought Ottawa would be in Quebec. Now when I saw it's location in map it seems that's its in Ontario. Honest and realistic information is always better than "best look" or best side of the thing. I really appreciate that you brought that side of it. If it seems that it's that difficult or even more then what's the point of coming to Canada then? Because if I can't live there without a job then would I come and live in streets? :D Of course not.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Softdev00 said:
Thanks, I will definitely do some research, my wish would be studying in Ontario or Ottawa.
Do not count out the option of studying in other provinces where there may be less competition for entrance. The cost of living is also less in provinces other than BC, Ontario and Quebec.

I would also contact the association of your profession in your target province to get more accurate info on the job market.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
http://www.cips.ca/about

Contact these folks.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianJeepGuy said:
[link]

Contact these folks.
Thank you very much for help. I will take a look into. I think I might go with a way that I will search for a job here to get work experience at least 3-5 years then consider moving to Canada. I will do research about studies but I think maybe skilled worker is better option as long as I have experience in my field.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you post here some good websites to search jobs in Canada? I decided to start searching for a job from there and also I think I might travel to Canada for few weeks to check the situation. I'm not yet sure when exactly but if I get by any chance job offer from Canada I would be ready to travel there immediately.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Softdev00 said:
Can you post here some good websites to search jobs in Canada? I decided to start searching for a job from there and also I think I might travel to Canada for few weeks to check the situation. I'm not yet sure when exactly but if I get by any chance job offer from Canada I would be ready to travel there immediately.
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro-eng.aspx

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx

There are also provincial government job websites for what province you want to live in. Keep in mind that 90% of available professional jobs are not posted on job search engines. Those jobs are circulated through your professional association so the best thing to do is begin establishing a professional network in Canada. Join your professional association here and get on LinkdIn.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianJeepGuy said:
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro-eng.aspx

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx

There are also provincial government job websites for what province you want to live in. Keep in mind that 90% of available professional jobs are not posted on job search engines. Those jobs are circulated through your professional association so the best thing to do is begin establishing a professional network in Canada. Join your professional association here and get on LinkdIn.
Thanks mate, I will definitely look at them :)

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm just wondering how I can start to build my network when I don't know where to start or where is good place to start know people and so on.

RajeevPillai

Star Member
Jan 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2009
LANDED..........
15-04-2011
Lot of recruiters in North America are using Linkedin these days. Very effective way to narrow down your search for the right job and right candidate!!

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RajeevPillai said:
Lot of recruiters in North America are using Linkedin these days. Very effective way to narrow down your search for the right job and right candidate!!
That's true and if you want to contact the employer there you need to have paid membership. I think I might try find a job through Linkedin.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Softdev00 said:
That's true and if you want to contact the employer there you need to have paid membership. I think I might try find a job through Linkedin.
Good luck with that.

Your best bet is to join the association of your profession here in Canada. That's where I would start. That will put you in touch with others who have immigrated and found work in their field. Networking from the strength of being a member of your professional association means employers will take you seriously.