+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding A Job After PR?

casiopiabiswas

Nov 13, 2017
Dear All,

I would really appreciate some responses/ suggestions on this.
I am a PMP & ITIL certified person with 6 years of experience in IT and 6 months in the telecom domain. I would like to apply for jobs after I receive my COPR. Is it possible to get a job basis COPR? I am currently residing in the US and would shift base to Canada once I get a job.

Also, what are the scopes and chances available if I have to start as a project lead or assistant project manager in IT or any other domain?

Thanks much!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
There are many many posts here that if you read them you will see even with a COPR in hand it is still almost impossible to get any employer to be interested in anyone until they have actually landed as a PR in Canada.

You need to complete a landing as a PR even if just a short landing given then as a landed PR you become more attractive to potential employers. Prior to that employers only have your word that you will take up your PR status and whilst still true an individual might still not take up residence at least having landed shows positive intent. Anything else and employers are loathe to potentially waste time when local candidates are available and ready to join.

Cannot speak to job availability but unless really lucky should expect it to be a hard slog to secure a job, same for all new immigrants. Also many new immigrants come up against the need for Canadian experience, although maybe coming from the US might work in your favour compared to others,but many new PRs find themselves starting in a lower position initially.

casiopiabiswas

Nov 13, 2017
There are many many posts here that if you read them you will see even with a COPR in hand it is still almost impossible to get any employer to be interested in anyone until they have actually landed as a PR in Canada.

You need to complete a landing as a PR even if just a short landing given then as a landed PR you become more attractive to potential employers. Prior to that employers only have your word that you will take up your PR status and whilst still true an individual might still not take up residence at least having landed shows positive intent. Anything else and employers are loathe to potentially waste time when local candidates are available and ready to join.

Cannot speak to job availability but unless really lucky should expect it to be a hard slog to secure a job, same for all new immigrants. Also many new immigrants come up against the need for Canadian experience, although maybe coming from the US might work in your favour compared to others,but many new PRs find themselves starting in a lower position initially.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I am little anxious now but a reality check is always appreciated.

sk1356

Mar 8, 2015
Dear All,

I would really appreciate some responses/ suggestions on this.
I am a PMP & ITIL certified person with 6 years of experience in IT and 6 months in the telecom domain. I would like to apply for jobs after I receive my COPR. Is it possible to get a job basis COPR? I am currently residing in the US and would shift base to Canada once I get a job.

Also, what are the scopes and chances available if I have to start as a project lead or assistant project manager in IT or any other domain?

Thanks much!
Here is another perspective on your query. Usually companies are looking for candidates who can join within 2-4 weeks once selected. If you receive a job offer after COPR, can you join within 2-4 weeks? If yes, then it's worth making that effort. If you can't, then it's better to use the time between COPR and landing for building network and contacts in Canada to get a head-start in the race when you land here.