+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Financially Responsible

kbailey_25

Aug 17, 2020
I'm sponsoring my husband who became a permanent resident in February of 2019. I'm still financially responsible for another 1.5 years but we're separating.
Just wondering how much responsibility falls on me? Is it just for government assistance? Or am I also responsible for his vehicle loan and credit card debt?
Freaking out here... any help is much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sponsoring my husband who became a permanent resident in February of 2019. I'm still financially responsible for another 1.5 years but we're separating.
Just wondering how much responsibility falls on me? Is it just for government assistance? Or am I also responsible for his vehicle loan and credit card debt?
Freaking out here... any help is much appreciated.
If he goes on social assistance / welfare within the next 1.5 years, you will be responsible for paying this money back to the Canadian government. That's it from an immigration perspective.

In terms of his credit card debt and car loans, whether you are responsible in any way will depend on whether you co-signed anything, etc. You may want to speak with your bank about this.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Thanks for the reply!
We have no joint loans or credit cards. My name isn't on any of his debt.
It is not that simple. If any debts you borrowed during the marriage, it can be seen as joint debts between couple, just as the same as the assets you got during the marriage are joint assets. And unless, you and your husband had already have an agreement or court order on how to split the assets and debt, the debt collector will find a way to collect the debts from you, if your ex. husband doesn't want to or cannot pay off the debts.

Reactions: scylla