+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Financial Support to Sponsor for buying property in Canada

Jul 8, 2021
Hello all, I’m the principal applicant for Spouse PR (outland), being sponsored by my husband who is already a Canadian PR.
My husband recently bought a property in Canada and I sent him money for the down payment of the same since we plan to live there together once I’m approved. I’m confused if I should declare the same or would it raise a red flag as the property doesn’t have my name on it (we were advised against putting my name on the property as I’m not working in Canada and the mortgage approval could’ve become complicated).
The insurance has my name on it though which we plan on submitting.
We have written in our application that my husband owns a property (also given transfer certificate as proof) and we plan to live there (future plans). What should I do? Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
A purchase of a property and your application for PR have no connection.

It will help if you can tell what are you trying to accomplish by showing that property to IRCC.

Jul 8, 2021

It will help if you can tell what are you trying to accomplish by showing that property to IRCC.
Thanks for your reply. We read in a few blogs that it’s nice to show where would you live in Canada once you’re there, outline future plans etc (in the letter from sponsor) and try and show financial stability. Thus we thought we could show that we would be living at this place owned by my husband.

Jul 8, 2021

Also, the insurance of this condo has my name as additional insured and we’re giving the same as a proof of us being recognised as spouses on important documents.

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Thanks for your reply. We read in a few blogs that it’s nice to show where would you live in Canada once you’re there, outline future plans etc (in the letter from sponsor) and try and show financial stability. Thus we thought we could show that we would be living at this place owned by my husband.
Also, the insurance of this condo has my name as additional insured and we’re giving the same as a proof of us being recognised as spouses on important documents.
Sure. You can show the insurance with you name on it.

It's easy to explain why your name doesn't appear on the title - you have no status in Canada to be able to apply for mortgage together with your husband. Therefore, he is the only one buying the house.

Usually, when gifted funds are being used for down payment, lenders would require a gift deed to make sure that the funds are indeed received as a gift and not borrowed. You can show that document and the transfer of the money from his account to the lawyer's or notary's trust account.

Reactions: Sanika_Purohit
Jul 8, 2021
Sure. You can show the insurance with you name on it.

It's easy to explain why your name doesn't appear on the title - you have no status in Canada to be able to apply for mortgage together with your husband. Therefore, he is the only one buying the house.

Usually, when gifted funds are being used for down payment, lenders would require a gift deed to make sure that the funds are indeed received as a gift and not borrowed. You can show that document and the transfer of the money from his account to the lawyer's or notary's trust account.
Agreed. However my concern here is, would it by any chance look like I’ve paid my husband to sponsor my Canadian PR. Like an immigration fraud. Things like that do happen in India, where I am from and that’s what’s making me nervous. And even though our case is genuine, I am skeptical it might raise suspicion as to why I sent such a big amount to him as my name is not on the title. So I was thinking not to mention the transaction at all. I only fear that in case we’re ever asked for bank statements, these transactions would show and could be flagged! We haven’t declared these transactions in proof of shared expenses. I’ve signed a gift letter for the mortgage agency already and an NOC for the lawyer stating that I am aware of the purchase. Maybe I’m thinking too much but this has been driving me nuts!