+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Financial Support for Student Visa

ZainebBel

Jul 17, 2019
Hello, I have a question and I hope someone could help me. I am currently in Canada under a post graduate work permit that expires this week and I applied for Express Entry but my score was not high enough to be invited. anyways that is not my issue, I decided to apply for a student visa and study in Quebec I already got the CAQ and I applied for Study permit. My problem now is that I confirmed that I have 21.000$ in my bank account and that is all the money I have since I have been working since 2016. I provided all details and a letter from the employer that they have the intention to hire me in a part time job while I am studying. Do you think they will reject my application because of the financial support even though they know I am currently in Canada ?

Thank you

Reactions: Anas Zafar

postdoc_fellow1008

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hello, I have a question and I hope someone could help me. I am currently in Canada under a post graduate work permit that expires this week and I applied for Express Entry but my score was not high enough to be invited. anyways that is not my issue, I decided to apply for a student visa and study in Quebec I already got the CAQ and I applied for Study permit. My problem now is that I confirmed that I have 21.000$ in my bank account and that is all the money I have since I have been working since 2016. I provided all details and a letter from the employer that they have the intention to hire me in a part time job while I am studying. Do you think they will reject my application because of the financial support even though they know I am currently in Canada ?

Thank you
Do you have any scholarships for your studies? Will your part time job be enough to fund your studies and living expenses? It might be tough if you don't have enough money for both.
But then again... you've lived in Canada for a while now, so they might be more lenient.

ZainebBel

Jul 17, 2019
why are you studying again at the end of your pgwp

whats the cost of your programme in total? since you know you can only work part time as well i dont see how much extra money you could possibly make
I am applying to study again because I couldn't have an invitation for PR my express entry score is not high enough so that was my only choice.
the cost of the program in total is 18000$

ZainebBel

Jul 17, 2019
Do you have any scholarships for your studies? Will your part time job be enough to fund your studies and living expenses? It might be tough if you don't have enough money for both.
But then again... you've lived in Canada for a while now, so they might be more lenient.
I don't have a scholarship I am paying for myself.
I hope they will be more lenient

postdoc_fellow1008

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
I don't have a scholarship I am paying for myself.
I hope they will be more lenient
If you have $21k, and your studies will cost $18k and you also have income from part-time work which hopefully should be enough for day-to-day expenses, then it shouldn't be a problem as long as you can show proof about work (which you said you have).

Also, going back to school won't really give you higher points (you already have a degree from a Canadian institution, I assume, that's why you have a PGWP). You also have enough Canadian work experience since you've been working since 2016. You should look into other options for getting more points (more work experience, higher IELTS score, etc.)

What was your CRS score?

ZainebBel

Jul 17, 2019
If you have $21k, and your studies will cost $18k and you also have income from part-time work which hopefully should be enough for day-to-day expenses, then it shouldn't be a problem as long as you can show proof about work (which you said you have).

Also, going back to school won't really give you higher points (you already have a degree from a Canadian institution, I assume, that's why you have a PGWP). You also have enough Canadian work experience since you've been working since 2016. You should look into other options for getting more points (more work experience, higher IELTS score, etc.)

What was your CRS score?
I do have a canadian dergree from a college, it was a 2 year program, also I worked about 3 years but the problem was with the NOC of the job.
My first Job was in retail (for 3 months) so NOC = C
My second Job was Travel consultant (for 9 months) NOC = C
and my current Job is administrative assistant for 22 Months (the ask for 24 months completed) NOC = B
I will be able to complete 2 years in my current job on September 2019 but unfortunately my visa expires on July 19 which is 2 months prior.
I had a consultation with 3 different immigration lawyers and they all did not find a way for me. I took the english test 3 times and I also have french test and improved the score but still not enough. my Express Entry score is 351 :(

postdoc_fellow1008

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
I do have a canadian dergree from a college, it was a 2 year program, also I worked about 3 years but the problem was with the NOC of the job.
My first Job was in retail (for 3 months) so NOC = C
My second Job was Travel consultant (for 9 months) NOC = C
and my current Job is administrative assistant for 22 Months (the ask for 24 months completed) NOC = B
I will be able to complete 2 years in my current job on September 2019 but unfortunately my visa expires on July 19 which is 2 months prior.
I had a consultation with 3 different immigration lawyers and they all did not find a way for me. I took the english test 3 times and I also have french test and improved the score but still not enough. my Express Entry score is 351 :(
Ah yes... that is indeed low, unfortunately.

Have you looked at the CRS scoring system in detail? Section C (skill transferability factor) is the tricky part which involves a combination of foreign work experience, canadian work experience, degrees, and IELTS score. You need to figure out where you can get tghe maximum number of points based on your experience/degree/IELTS. You might have to take IELTS again to improve your score (I took it twice because I didn't score high enough the first time).

Can you not get a PGWP extension in the meantime? Or re-apply for a regular work permit?

ZainebBel

Jul 17, 2019
Ah yes... that is indeed low, unfortunately.

Have you looked at the CRS scoring system in detail? Section C (skill transferability factor) is the tricky part which involves a combination of foreign work experience, canadian work experience, degrees, and IELTS score. You need to figure out where you can get tghe maximum number of points based on your experience/degree/IELTS. You might have to take IELTS again to improve your score (I took it twice because I didn't score high enough the first time).

Can you not get a PGWP extension in the meantime? Or re-apply for a regular work permit?
The problem is that time is so tight for me to take the IELTS again, also the PGWP cannot be extended because it is a once in a life time opportunity same thing can't have a regular work visa after a PGWP. I tried all ways but time was not enough for me. The only way as the lawyers told me is to apply for school in Quebec and do it allover again from Quebec because it is much easier from there. So I'm trying my chance this way. at that time I will have more time to take the language test and try to improve it.

postdoc_fellow1008

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
The problem is that time is so tight for me to take the IELTS again, also the PGWP cannot be extended because it is a once in a life time opportunity same thing can't have a regular work visa after a PGWP. I tried all ways but time was not enough for me. The only way as the lawyers told me is to apply for school in Quebec and do it allover again from Quebec because it is much easier from there. So I'm trying my chance this way. at that time I will have more time to take the language test and try to improve it.
Makes sense.
I find it does take time to gather enough points. I moved here in 2012 for my PhD, first applied in 2014 (while I was still a student) and didn't get enough points (like 440 or less). So I decided to wait a few more years to re-apply until I was sure I had enough points since it is expensive to constantly re-apply (IELTS is expensive and expires pretty quickly). I waited until I finished my PhD and until I've had one year of work experience. This bumped up my score to 544.

So you'll get there. Apply when you think the time is right. Good luck on your student visa application and your studies.

ZainebBel

Jul 17, 2019
Makes sense.
I find it does take time to gather enough points. I moved here in 2012 for my PhD, first applied in 2014 (while I was still a student) and didn't get enough points (like 440 or less). So I decided to wait a few more years to re-apply until I was sure I had enough points since it is expensive to constantly re-apply (IELTS is expensive and expires pretty quickly). I waited until I finished my PhD and until I've had one year of work experience. This bumped up my score to 544.

So you'll get there. Apply when you think the time is right. Good luck on your student visa application and your studies.
I am a fighter I will not give up. Thank you for the support