+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finances - Tourist Visa?

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hi,

I am applying for my mother's TRV.
How much fund is sufficient to show for a tourist visa? And is it alright to show FD (fixed deposit) as proof of funds?

My mother had 10k CAD in Savings and around 15k CAD in Fixed Deposits.

Let me know

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi,

I am applying for my mother's TRV.
How much fund is sufficient to show for a tourist visa? And is it alright to show FD (fixed deposit) as proof of funds?

My mother had 10k CAD in Savings and around 15k CAD in Fixed Deposits.

Let me know
I'll provide what little advice I can, since you have received no reply to date.

The obvious answer is that there is no particular amount that is "sufficient", since it depends in large measure on how long your mother says she plans to visit. She'll need to show more funds for a 6-week visit than for a 2-week visit.

Also, the word on this forum appears to be that the IRCC is not thrilled to see FD money, it being perceived as somewhat illiquid, I suppose. If I recall correctly, that learned member @Naturgrl spoke to that same issue very recently in response to another poster's TRV query.

As just a guess, I would think that an applicant can be a bit light on liquid funds if the application is otherwise gleaming...eg., shows strong times to home, has solid travel history to other countries such as U.S., U.K., Australia, etc.