+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finally....its over!!!

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Finally end of the tunnel. I got my citizenship on May 24th, passport on June 5th. But for Indians, the process does not end here. We have to again go through a grueling and expensive process (around CAD 2000 for a family of 3) of surrendering Indian citizenship and obtaining Indian OCI, and Indian consulate is not as efficient as IRCC, typical Indian bureaucracy. But finally I got the OCI today, and I can breathe a sigh of relief now.

One full year of stress and anxiety. First, waiting for C6 and when C6 happend, I had already completed 4 years. Everyday, it had become a routine to check ECAS and look at the sheet tracker and anxiety grew more when you see on the tracker that someone who had applied much later than you has finished the process much earlier, thinking there might be something wrong with my file. More anxiety and frustration when my PR card was expiring soon and I was expecting a family emergency/tragedy.

But did anything change in my life after getting Canadian citizenship/passport. Nothing changed, life is same as before, except I am poorer by $4000, I have developed chronic depression and anxiety syndrome, I have become negative thinker and I am mentally drained and exhausted. But I know I will try and overcome that.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

I wish you all the best!!!

Last edited:

KavAgAv

Star Member
Nov 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
AOR Received.
16-07-2014
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
14-07-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2015
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
Finally end of the tunnel. I got my citizenship on May 24th, passport on June 5th. But for Indians, the process does not end here. We have to again go through a grueling and expensive process (around CAD 2000 for a family of 3) of surrendering Indian citizenship and obtaining Indian OCI, and Indian consulate is not as efficient as IRCC, typical Indian bureaucracy. But finally I got the OCI today, and I can breathe a sigh of relief now.

One full year of stress and anxiety. First, waiting for C6 and when C6 happend, I had already completed 4 years. Everyday, it had become a routine to check ECAS and look at the sheet tracker and anxiety grew more when you see on the tracker that someone who had applied much later than you has finished the process much earlier, thinking there might be something wrong with my file. More anxiety and frustration when my PR card was expiring soon and I was expecting a family emergency/tragedy.

But did anything change in my life after getting Canadian citizenship/passport. Nothing changed, life is same as before, except I am poorer by $4000, I have developed chronic depression and anxiety syndrome, I have become negative thinker and I am mentally drained and exhausted. But I know I will try and overcome that.

I hear you. I will be going through that process for the next 12 months.

But I will admit - I am getting emotional and a little teary eyed at the thought of giving up my Indian citizenship!

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Maybe you put too much importance on citizenship. $4000 may seem huge, but is a small amount in the grand scheme of things (you moved your life to another country). All other things are temporary. In a few years, all this will be history. Think about what it means for your family and future generations. As they say, all's well that ends well. Best wishes !

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........

You will be fine. We all experience high and kows itll make sense later. As you have surrendered a lot. Canada will be a source of Joy to you and your family. Ijn

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015

First of all, congratulations on finishing this part of your journey!

About anxiety and depression: I went through a pretty rough little bit at the end of last year (I'm still recovering, had 5 panic atracks in 1 month), and Stoic philosophy really helped me get over that, and is helping me in staying mentally healthy through my waiting for citizenship application to go through.
If you're interested, the book "how to be a Stoic" by Massimo Pigliucci is really good. As well, "the subtle art of not giving a fuck" by Mark Manson is very helpful (not specifically about Stoic philosophy, but shares a lot of common ground with Stoic philosophy and Secular Buddhist philosophy as well).

Try and enjoy this victory and remember to expect nothing and accept everything :)

Cheers,

Reactions: ronmcguire3425

Ottawan

Nov 11, 2011

Congratulations. What’s was your timeline and which office?

Been in IP for 250 days without test invite. Went through a similar anxiety phase for few weeks and now I’ve gotten to a point of not giving a squat about it. Check my mail and ECAS once a week. Enjoying summer with my 3 little daughters. Living life as normal.
I come to this forum once a day to actually be happy for others who are progressing then be worried about my own case. Little of ranting here and there does help though. ;)

Change in perspective and living with it as it comes is sweeter.

Why do you need OCI? Just a visa free travel? I’ve been here for 19 years which is more than half of my life. I don’t know any other home but Canada and I visit every 5-7 years to see some distant relatives. I guess getting visa every now and then willl be just fine?

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
First of all, congratulations on finishing this part of your journey!

About anxiety and depression: I went through a pretty rough little bit at the end of last year (I'm still recovering, had 5 panic atracks in 1 month), and Stoic philosophy really helped me get over that, and is helping me in staying mentally healthy through my waiting for citizenship application to go through.
If you're interested, the book "how to be a Stoic" by Massimo Pigliucci is really good. As well, "the subtle art of not giving a fuck" by Mark Manson is very helpful (not specifically about Stoic philosophy, but shares a lot of common ground with Stoic philosophy and Secular Buddhist philosophy as well).

Try and enjoy this victory and remember to expect nothing and accept everything :)

Cheers,
Hello EstherBarros,

Thank you so much for introducing me to this amazing philosophy of Stoicism. Ever since reading your post last night I have been watching many videos and read many articles on Internet about Stoicism. Its simply amazing. This is exactly what I have needed. Even by watching Youtube videos and reading on the Internet I am feeling change in myself. I am also going to order the book by Massimo Pigliucci soon. I wish I had known about this earlier.

Thank you so much

I wish you all the best for everything you do in life.

God Bless you !!!

Reactions: EstherBarros

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Congratulations. What’s was your timeline and which office?

Been in IP for 250 days without test invite. Went through a similar anxiety phase for few weeks and now I’ve gotten to a point of not giving a squat about it. Check my mail and ECAS once a week. Enjoying summer with my 3 little daughters. Living life as normal.
I come to this forum once a day to actually be happy for others who are progressing then be worried about my own case. Little of ranting here and there does help though. ;)

Change in perspective and living with it as it comes is sweeter.

Why do you need OCI? Just a visa free travel? I’ve been here for 19 years which is more than half of my life. I don’t know any other home but Canada and I visit every 5-7 years to see some distant relatives. I guess getting visa every now and then willl be just fine?
Thanks

My timeline is as below
Office: Mississauga
App Recd: Sept 8, 2017
AOR: Oct 10, 2017
IP: Nov 6, 2017
Test Invite: Feb 21, 2018
Test Date: March 7, 2018
Decision Made: March 8, 2018
Oath Letter: April 25, 2018
Oath Ceremony: May 24, 2018

I need OCI because I have significant ties to India in terms of family, properties, business etc., and it will always be this way. Even cost wise, visa is an expensive option now. Multiple entry visa costs $317 while OCI cost $282 and it is a lifelong, you just have to renew it once after 50 years of age at the renewal of passport with a cost of just $37, while visa renewal will cost $317 again, plus you are at par with NRI, you get all the benefits of a citizen except for voting rights.

Reactions: becca545

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
I am so glad you found it helpful!
The dichotomy of control changed my life, truly. Realizing I only have control over which thoughts and actions I give assent to and nothing else was very freeing! Much easier to accept whatever happens and lower anxiety :)

Cheers!

Hello EstherBarros,

Thank you so much for introducing me to this amazing philosophy of Stoicism. Ever since reading your post last night I have been watching many videos and read many articles on Internet about Stoicism. Its simply amazing. This is exactly what I have needed. Even by watching Youtube videos and reading on the Internet I am feeling change in myself. I am also going to order the book by Massimo Pigliucci soon. I wish I had known about this earlier.

Thank you so much

I wish you all the best for everything you do in life.

God Bless you !!!

KavAgAv

Star Member
Nov 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
AOR Received.
16-07-2014
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
14-07-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2015
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
Hi Guys,

I am traveling to the US in December on a Canadian Passport.

Provided that the Surrender timelines for Indian passport are 8-10 weeks at the minimum for the Indian Consulate, and that they keep your Canadian passport as well - I think it is best if I surrender my Indian PP after coming back from the trip.

I acquired Canadian citizenship this month. Will a fine be levied or is it fine that I surrender after 3 months?

TIA

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
I acquired Canadian citizenship this month. Will a fine be levied or is it fine that I surrender after 3 months?

TIA
You can surrender after 3 months without a fine as long as you do not use the passport. Keep it locked until the day you surrender. I think the deadline to surrender (without use) is 3 years, I am not exactly sure. But its definitely much more than 3 months.

3 months is the grace period you can use the Indian passport. But in your case since you dont need to, best keep it locked.

Reactions: qorax and KavAgAv

KavAgAv

Star Member
Nov 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
AOR Received.
16-07-2014
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
14-07-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2015
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
You can surrender after 3 months without a fine as long as you do not use the passport. Keep it locked until the day you surrender. I think the deadline to surrender (without use) is 3 years, I am not exactly sure. But its definitely much more than 3 months.

3 months is the grace period you can use the Indian passport. But in your case since you dont need to, best keep it locked.

Thank you Sir.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
@amitdi is correct.

1. The Mission/Consulate would levy penalty if the Indian passport has not been cancelled for more than 3 years
2. There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality for using Indian passport for travel