+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

finally!! as Refugee in a Canadian Permanent resident

Albertooo

May 17, 2018
okay guys i’m going to share my experience doing my application for Permanent Residence.

first I want to say that I’m so happy to be a Canadian Permanent Resident since Yesterday!! proud to be here!! thanks to this forum that I found a lot of help since the first moment that I applied as refugees!!

in March 30th 2017 I was accepted as refugee protect person . I received ny letter from the judge at the end of April . I summit my Permanent Residence application on May 5th 2017.

I linked the number of application to my profile on GCkey .

I know it that would take at least 2 years .

so on June 4th 2018 I received an update on my application and received the order to make the Medical Examinations, criminal record report .

all that have to be done within 30 days . so I had to Run and book a doctors appointment so I pick up a Doctors from the list in the website of inmigration.

in total de criminal record and background check it was less than 200$Cad. but be aware in the place that I took my fingers prints that took at least 4 weeks for RCMP to send me that Report , I was so nervous because my time t9 send all my documents it’s was limited to 30 days. son I send a letter explanation to Inmigration saying that I was waiting for my fingers printed.

finally my fingers prints was ready to pick up after July 5th so I send it something like July 10th 2018.

the medical examination , X ray and urinal test . it costs me almost 650$Cad . so I asked if I can used my Ontario Health Card and they say that the OHC doesn’t cover application for inmigration. plus the Gas going to Ottawa almost 100$cad

in October 10th 2018 I received an “Approval letter” and said something like Inmigration it will contact me to book an appointment to finished my application. I was so happy feeling closer!!

November 2th I received my email with the appointment to go to ottawa. so the appointment it was for November 10th 10:30am .

I was so happy the day before, I couldn’t sleep... just thinking what’s going on the following day!

so I arrived to the inmigration office at 10:10am and that office it was full of people! and I said “OMG” I’ll spend all day in here .

one of the guy ask at the reception for his appointment, If they forgot about them , because his appointment supposed to be a 8:30am ....

and I said to myself ok i’ll take easy!

I sat down and at 11:10am the officer called me ... so he asked something like 20 questions for security.

so he printed my confirmation as resident! so he give it to me to be signed, so I cry , I told him, you don’t know how long I’ve dreamed with this moment!

so he asked me for all my Canadian Documents government.

so I give it my work permit, my refuge claim , so he cut one side and he told me is not valid anymore because you’re a resident! ( it feel so good hearing that)

so I asked

“I was expecting fo you to give me back my documents that was seized at the border when I asked for refugee”

so he told me

“if you want your passport you’ll have to call inmigration and they’ll give you back”

I asked

“may I used my old passport to travel?”

he told me yes , but not to go to your own country.

he give me an explanation and he repeated like 20 times “you cannot go to your own country”

So I asked again

“ so is not any risk for my permanent residence if I used my passport instead of my Refugee travel document?

he told me not , you can use as long you don’t travel to your own country.

because my passport expired in 2020.

so Now I have doubts if should I asked to get my passport back , because so many countries I don’t need visa for expensive all europe, south america....

with my RTD I need visa even to fly to Vancouver ( joke ) .

finally I asked when I going to receive my PR card , he told me probably 3 months.

so maybe January I’ll get it by mail!

so guys congratulations to everyone who received their permanent residence and for the people who is in the process PATIENCE!!

this forum help l us a lot!

have good day!

Al.

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I asked
“may I used my old passport to travel?” he told me yes , but not to go to your own country.
he give me an explanation and he repeated like 20 times “you cannot go to your own country”
So I asked again
“ so is not any risk for my permanent residence if I used my passport instead of my Refugee travel document? he told me not , you can use as long you don’t travel to your own country.
Al.
@canuck78 @lknd3 @zardoz @Buletruck
What did I say? ;)

Reactions: Albertooo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sad to see that someone working in immigration doesn't know the actual laws. You can't use your home country passport. That is why the RTD exists. If you don't want to listen to us it's fine. We are warning people that they would be a risk of losing their protected person or PR status if they return to their home country or use their home country passport. Whether you choose to follow the information is completely up to you.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
You do know that CBSA and IRCC are two completely different organizations right? They may work in the same field but they are not the same. CBSA handles everything that deals with protecting our border from foreign dangers to determining whether an applicant is allowed to enter Canada based on a serious of face to face questions.

IRCC handles more of a legal side of immigration. They deal with processing large amount of data and does research and security checks on individuals applying for PR, Citizenship and Temporary Permits.

If I were you, I would consult IRCC first. See link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=610&top=11

I am a refugee and I need to travel outside Canada. What documents do I need to travel?
You need to get a Refugee Travel Document from Passport Canada. It is recognized in all countries as a valid travel document. However, you cannot use it to travel to the country that you are a citizen of or the country of claimed persecution.

If you are a:

you will need a Refugee Travel Document.

To apply, you will need to give Passport Canada proof of your status in Canada. You will need either:

If you are a Convention refugee, you should have a letter from the IRB. If you need to replace a lost letter, please contact the IRB.

If you are a protected person who was selected overseas and resettled as a refugee in Canada, you should have either a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document, or a Permanent Resident Card. If you need to replace an expired, lost or stolen Permanent Resident Card, you can apply for a new one.

If you are a protected person with a positive Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) decision, you should have a VOS. If your PRRA result was before December 17, 2012, and you did not get a VOS, or if you lost it, you can apply for a new one.

Reactions: Albertooo and jddd

Curiousmind04

Oct 17, 2017
Sad to see that someone working in immigration doesn't know the actual laws. You can't use your home country passport. That is why the RTD exists. If you don't want to listen to us it's fine. We are warning people that they would be a risk of losing their protected person or PR status if they return to their home country or use their home country passport. Whether you choose to follow the information is completely up to you.
I agree

When I received Permanent residency in March 2018 I was told I should not TRAVEL TO MY HOME COUNTRY NOR RENEW NOR TRAVEL ON MY COUNTRYS PASSPORT. Same for many OTHER FAMILY MEMBER. The Refugee Travel Document is what we use and it works perfectly fine. I don’t understand many people claim refugee and are successful but then as soon as they get PR they are ready to renew and use the passport from a country which they supposedly “fled” from. The passport belongs to the Government from the country where “you would have lost your life” why would one want to automatically REAVAIL THEMSELVES to that said country.

In conclusion I think if you are genuinely a REFUGEE you won’t take the chance, one mans luck is another’s bad luck, FOLLOW CIC INFORMATION and not only that of the immigration officer because many are uninformed/misinformed. The consequences will be yours not theirs

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
@joksuela

Give it a rest! Personally, despite your beliefs and a misguided/misinformed IRCC officers quote, I tend to follow the lead of the courts, but you are more than welcome to do as you please...that risk is all yours. Personally, if I were a refugee, or gained my PR as a refugee, I wouldn’t risk anything that would jeapordize my status.....but hey, go crazy if you feel it’s worth it.

Claimants may exhibit an apparent absence of subjective fear not only in physically returning to their home country, but also in actions such as obtaining or renewing a passport or travel documentNote 123, and leaving or emigrating through lawful channels.Note 124 The evidence is all assessed in the same way: the surrounding circumstances and the credibility of the claimant’s explanations determine whether it can reasonably be concluded that they indicate the absence of the subjective component of a well-founded fear of persecution.
https://irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef05.aspx#n55

Based on the presented information, it is advisable to NOT go back to your country of origin if you have obtained the protection of the government of Canada and later having obtained the permanent residency. It is also advised that you obtain a Travel Document instead of your passport.
https://www.mariacampos.ca/en/2017/01/loss-of-permanent-residency-for-refugees-myth-or-fact/

Last edited:

lknd3

Jan 11, 2018
Already answered, any competent immigration lawyer would tell you the same thing: NEVER use or renew your home country passport.

-It is not worth risking your PR.
-Most people who get protected status are usually from disturbed/unsafe countries so I don't believe that their home country passport would give them any more travel freedom than a RTD anyway so I don't understand why.
-Genuine refugees should not use it even if it was allowed as travelling under your home country passport means that you CAN be deported back to that same country during your travel.

diiamond

Nov 16, 2018
hey, congratulation

just have a quick question? is it possible to travel with your RTD while waiting in your PR to come in the mail? Im worried cuz my appointment is in 2 weeks and I will be traveling the following week , it will going to New york ????

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hey, congratulation

just have a quick question? is it possible to travel with your RTD while waiting in your PR to come in the mail? Im worried cuz my appointment is in 2 weeks and I will be traveling the following week , it will going to New york ????
Yes but many countries require a visa.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be aware what passport is. Unlike national ID, passport is not just an official document confirming who you are.
It is an official protection document.
Meaning that it is an official proof that you are under protection from the country that have issued this passport.

That is why:
1. Asking for such document to be issued
2. Using such document (regardless where you travel)
Can be seen as reavailement. Just open your passport and check what is written there. In most of them there is a simple clause stating that "this person is under protection of country XYZ"

Imagine a following situation:
You would board a plane using your passport. That plane would crash. So what would happen after that? They would check list of passengers and contact embassies / countries from which those citizens were. If some people were still alive then those embassies could help them (for example to contact their families at home or arrange their return to their home country).
Now imagine that you were political refugee and your own country would have a warrant issued on you. So it would not be very difficult to find you injured in 3rd country and then transport you to embassy and deal with you.
Of course in such scenario nobody would contact Canada, because you had never identified with Canada in a first place.

I am not sure if you have heard about the case in Turkey (SA Embassy). Where somebody was killed once he entered his own embassy. That is a good example just how long it takes for you to get back in danger (a short visit of your own embassy to renew your passport can be fatal).