+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FINALIZATION! And a few questions about our application.

kazandbergen

May 7, 2013
Today, I am sending my part of my application back up to Canada with my sponsor and I just have a few questions to calm my fears. I feel as if it's not complete enough even though I've spent since June working on it... I'm quite possibly overthinking it.

1. I am American, Hubby is Canadian. We first met online in 2006, met in person in 2008, and started dating in 2009 when I stayed up there for a few months with him on a visitor's pass. Being as young and naive as we were, there aren't as much documentation from that period that I am satisfied with. I am considering adding a letter to the questionnaire part that reads:

When W and I first started talking and dating, we didn’t know how the process of immigrating to Canada worked. Knowing what we know now, we would have taken the time to document everything and save our proofs of communication to aide our application.

We would be willing and honored to be considered for an interview if needed.

Bad idea? Good idea? I'm just really kicking myself because there is so much I could have done back then and saved such as our conversations and such.

2. First time I came up to visit and stayed from June-August in 2009, I was refused for entry to Canada because I had too much personal belongings and not enough proof I would return to the states. It was a horrible experience. But a day later, they let me in with a Visitor's pass when I provided a school schedule to the University I was attending in the Fall. Now it has been hit or miss at the border as too how much grief I get. Sometimes they wave me through, other times they stop and question me. Husband on the other hand has had very little trouble.

I've been told this may help our application. Thoughts? Experiences?

3. I've seen where some people have moved up across the border when their sponsor is approved. I want to do that as well, but with the difficulty at the border I've had in the past, I'm scared to. It seems too good to be true. Should I wait until I receive my PR or can it be done? I just want to be with my husband ASAP and it's killing me.

Note: I don't have much personal belongings, but will be bringing our two German Shepherds, cat, and bearded dragon with me. I work for a Veterinarian, so I plan on having full travel papers/vaccines on all three of the furkids. The bearded dragon, I can't find any additional information on what I need for her. I don't want to travel 900 miles to the border only to be rejected... Especially since one of our Shepherds is elderly.

4. When does the $475 applicant fee need to be paid?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have more questions as my brain overworks. ???

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
kazandbergen said:
1. I am American, Hubby is Canadian. We first met online in 2006, met in person in 2008, and started dating in 2009 when I stayed up there for a few months with him on a visitor's pass. Being as young and naive as we were, there aren't as much documentation from that period that I am satisfied with. I am considering adding a letter to the questionnaire part that reads:

When W and I first started talking and dating, we didn't know how the process of immigrating to Canada worked. Knowing what we know now, we would have taken the time to document everything and save our proofs of communication to aide our application.

We would be willing and honored to be considered for an interview if needed.

Bad idea? Good idea? I'm just really kicking myself because there is so much I could have done back then and saved such as our conversations and such.
I really don't think the last part is a good idea. As for the first part, it's mixed. On the one hand, it draws attention to the fact that you don't have documentation. On the other, it provides a plausible explanation for why you don't. On balance, I'd probably save the explanation for in case you're asked for more documents later.

kazandbergen said:
2. First time I came up to visit and stayed from June-August in 2009, I was refused for entry to Canada because I had too much personal belongings and not enough proof I would return to the states. It was a horrible experience. But a day later, they let me in with a Visitor's pass when I provided a school schedule to the University I was attending in the Fall. Now it has been hit or miss at the border as too how much grief I get. Sometimes they wave me through, other times they stop and question me. Husband on the other hand has had very little trouble.

I've been told this may help our application. Thoughts? Experiences?
That's really unfortunate. It certainly isn't going to hurt your application if the reasons for your visits were properly documented by the border officers.

I think that in the part of the form where they ask about visits, you should definitely mention that there were also unsuccessful attempts to visit him - they may know about them anyway.

kazandbergen said:
3. I've seen where some people have moved up across the border when their sponsor is approved. I want to do that as well, but with the difficulty at the border I've had in the past, I'm scared to. It seems too good to be true. Should I wait until I receive my PR or can it be done? I just want to be with my husband ASAP and it's killing me.

Note: I don't have much personal belongings, but will be bringing our two German Shepherds, cat, and bearded dragon with me. I work for a Veterinarian, so I plan on having full travel papers/vaccines on all three of the furkids. The bearded dragon, I can't find any additional information on what I need for her. I don't want to travel 900 miles to the border only to be rejected... Especially since one of our Shepherds is elderly.
I think it's going to be hit-and-miss, since you've obviously already been flagged, as you say. Some people here have said that having proof you've got a sponsorship application under way is helpful. The main thing, in my opinion, is to have proof of you and your husband's income and (liquid) assets

About the pets, could you let your husband go back and bring them across once you're safely in the country? It's just a matter of finding out what the procedures are to import them, although honestly I don't know anything about bearded dragons.

kazandbergen said:
4. When does the $475 applicant fee need to be paid?
It's best to pay the RPRF fee when you first apply. Otherwise, it's possible to pay it at any point in the process once you have a file number. It may delay your application by a couple of weeks in that case.