+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Final stage before processing which office to submit

LSC

Dec 3, 2017
I received the final stage email and i am now in Ottawa since almost a month with a tourist visa
i have one question:

can i submit to the office in ottawa ? i am not an official resident in Ottawa now but i am her with a tourist visa does that still means i can send my passport to the ottawa office ?

here is part of the email i got
------------------------------

Your application for permanent residence in Canada has reached the final stage of processing. Before it can be finalized, you must follow the instructions below within 30 days of the date of this letter.

Please include a copy of the first page of this letter with your submission.

3. Final Steps Before Printing your Immigration Document

If you are a citizen of a country whose citizens normally require a visa counterfoil to travel to Canada temporarily, you will also require an immigrant visa to immigrate to Canada. If you are a citizen of a country listed under schedule 1.1 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations or if you are a person travelling with a travel document described in paragraph 190(2)(c) to (f) of the Regulations, you can travel to Canada temporarily with an electronic Travel Authorization only, you will not receive an immigrant visa. You will only receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence form (IMM-5688) although you will be require to immigrate with the same passport or travel document mentioned on your IMM-5688. You are not required to apply for an eTA. Your IMM-5688 will be linked in our online systems with an eFoil which is the equivalent of the eTA and will allow you to travel to Canada by plane.

For example, please see the chart below:

Foreign nationals who can immigrate to Canada without an immigrant counterfoil:

Citizens of Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Netherlands, Slovakia, Slovenia

Foreign nationals required to receive an immigrant counterfoil in order to immigrate to Canada:

Citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia,

All passports used to immigrate to Canada should be valid for a minimum of six months. Please note that Diplomatic, Official or Military passports cannot be used to immigrate to Canada.

If you or any of your accompanying family members require an immigrant visa to be inserted in your passport in order to immigrate to Canada, you must send it to us.

A. Submit your original passport and the original passport of all accompanying family members (if required for us to issue you an immigrant visa counterfoil) or a photocopy of your passport (if you do not require an immigrant visa counterfoil)

a) All passports or photocopies should be submitted at the same time.

b) They should ideally be valid for a minimum of six months and have at least two blank pages.

B. Pay your Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF), if applicable

Before a Confirmation of Permanent Residence can be printed, principal applicants (with some exceptions) and their spouse or common-law partner accompanying them to Canada must pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF). Non-accompanying spouses or common-law partners, accompanying or non-accompanying dependent children and refugees are not required to pay this fee.

C. Two Passport-sized photographs as per Canadian norms

These photos will be used for your IMM-5688 form and for your Permanent Resident Card after your arrival in Canada. Please ensure that your photographs meet the specific requirements of the Government of Canada. You can find them online at:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445eb-e.pdf

If your photos are not in this format, you will have to resend new photos.

a) You have to submit photos if:

o You submitted your application online (such as under Express Entry)

o You submitted a physical paper application to one of the Case Processing Centres in Canada (in Sydney, Nova Scotia, in Ottawa or Mississauga, Ontario) and your file was primarily processed there or it was transferred for processing at any other IRCC offices worldwide other than the Embassy of Canada in Vienna.

o You submitted a physical paper file application which was transferred and processed primarily at the Embassy of Canada in Vienna, without photosor with photos of incorrect specifications or with photos older than six months.

b) You may not need to submit photos if you submitted a physical paper application less than six months ago with passport-sized photographs matching the requirements above to one of the Case Processing Centres (CPC) in Canada (Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia, CPC-Ottawa, CPC-Mississauga) and you were informed that your file had been transferred for processing to the Embassy of Canada in Vienna.

C. Confirm your mailing address

This step is particularly important if you have moved since you submitted your application or if you have a representative who has been receiving all of your correspondence, but now wish to have your immigration document sent directly to you.

4. Send the necessary documents

A. Gather all the necessary documents as applicable (passport-sized photographs, passport or copy of passport, copy of receipt for RPRF payment, printout of the first page only of this letter) and write a covering letter (confirming your mailing address).

B. If you need to send us your passport (because you need to receive an immigrant visa as explained under #3 above), you must use one of the Visa Application Centres (VAC) located within our territory.

You can send your passport by mail to the VAC or go there in person. With your passport(s) and any other applicable documents, make sure that you include:

· the passport request letter you received from IRCC;

· the visa application centre (VAC) fees (VACs charge service fees to send your passport to the visa office);

· your contact information, including your email, phone number and return address; and

· the VAC consent forms (available on their Web site).

a) Private Courier

If you choose this option, we recommend that you supply a pre-paid commercial courier coupon for us to return your documents. Ensure that all the required information is completed on the pre-paid commercial courier coupon to allow us to return your document to you:

Ø Include your full mailing address in the "Deliver To" field

Ø Place the address of the Canadian Embassy in Vienna in the “Return Address” field:
Migration Section
Embassy of Canada
Laurenzerberg 2/III
1010 Vienna

Ø Your account details with the private courier company

Ø Once you have arranged the pre-paid pick-up with the commercial courier service, the commercial courier company must contact our section by e-mail (viennimmigration@international.gc.ca) in order to organize the pick-up of your envelope.

Ø If you do not provide a pre-paid return envelope, our office will return your documents by regular mail. Please note that the Embassy of Canada is not responsible for any items lost in the mail.

b) Registered mail directly to our office

Migration Section
Embassy of Canada in Austria
Laurenzerberg 2/III
1010 Vienna, Austria

If you do not provide a pre-paid return envelope from a private courier company, our office will return your documents by regular mail. Please note that the Embassy of Canada is not responsible for any items lost in the mail.

E. If you are currently residing in Canada and you need to send your passport to receive an immigrant counterfoil, you can send it to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa

You will need access to a Canadian residential address for at least three months and if at least one of you requires an immigrant visa, you have the option of submitting your passport to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPC-O). Please follow these specific procedures:

a) First, you need to inform our office in Vienna that you intend to submit your passport to the CPC-O. If you are required to pay the RPRF and haven’t done so already, you must provide our office a copy of your receipt before sending your passport to the CPC-O.

b) Add two passport-sized photos of yourself and any accompanying family member as per instructions at point “C” above.

Reactions: jun_veloso

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Yes, you can submit to Ottawa, but note the timeline they mention, you have to have access to that address for 3 months (and you may be without your passport for this length of time). Otherwise just follow the same instructions regarding what to submit, but submit it to Ottawa instead of Vienna. And don't forget to inform Vienna that you are going to send it to Ottawa.

Congratulations.

LSC

Dec 3, 2017
Yes, you can submit to Ottawa, but note the timeline they mention, you have to have access to that address for 3 months (and you may be without your passport for this length of time). Otherwise just follow the same instructions regarding what to submit, but submit it to Ottawa instead of Vienna. And don't forget to inform Vienna that you are going to send it to Ottawa.

Congratulations.
Thnx a lot ! :) so the 7 days period that vienna office will send me the passport back do not apply on the ottawa office ? and during that waiting time (3 months) am i considered a PR holder or not ?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Thnx a lot ! :) so the 7 days period that vienna office will send me the passport back do not apply on the ottawa office ? and during that waiting time (3 months) am i considered a PR holder or not ?
No, you are not yet a PR.

When you receive your passport back with the visa, it will come together with a letter. This letter is your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) letter. You will then have to do one of two things to become a PR:
1. You would schedule an appointment at a CIC office in Canada to do your landing interview*, or,
2. You will present the letter to a border guard when you enter Canada.

You have to complete one of these things by the date stated on the CoPR. It cannot be extended. Once you have done that, then you are a permanent resident.

I know the letter says three months, but I don't know how long it actually takes. I think it's much less than that, but I do not know with any certainty.

* the landing interview is nothing more than a few questions about whether your situation has changed (births/deaths/marriage/divorce) or whether you have committed any crimes recently.

LSC

Dec 3, 2017
No, you are not yet a PR.

When you receive your passport back with the visa, it will come together with a letter. This letter is your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) letter. You will then have to do one of two things to become a PR:
1. You would schedule an appointment at a CIC office in Canada to do your landing interview*, or,
2. You will present the letter to a border guard when you enter Canada.

You have to complete one of these things by the date stated on the CoPR. It cannot be extended. Once you have done that, then you are a permanent resident.

I know the letter says three months, but I don't know how long it actually takes. I think it's much less than that, but I do not know with any certainty.

* the landing interview is nothing more than a few questions about whether your situation has changed (births/deaths/marriage/divorce) or whether you have committed any crimes recently.
thnx a lot really you have been really helpfull :) best of luck for you too

Reactions: jun_veloso and evdm

jun_veloso

Sep 13, 2018
Hello LSC,
Greetings of peace.

I'm on the same plight as you as of the moment. If you wouldn't mind, could you share what you did and the timeline. From submitting your passport to CPC OTTAWA to getting your COPR to PR CARD. thanks .