+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Final stage and non-Canadian/US address

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Hi all,

I've just received this email by CIC, pertaining the fact that I am not currently living in Canada.

"Good day Sir/Madam,

Your application for permanent residency is in the final stage, however our records indicate an address other than that of a Canadian or American address.
Please note that we cannot mail immigration documents outside of Canada or the United States of America.

In order for us to proceed with your application, please provide a Canadian or American address in your reply to this email.

If you are unable to provide us with a North American address, please inform our office so that we may send you instructions on how to have your application finalized at a visa office in your area."

I do not have a personal Canadian or American address (I have some friends there, though), and I intend to confirm that I am living in the UK. I am from a visa-exempt country.
What are the implication on the application? Will be transferred to London offices? I suppose that the it will also be delayed, right?
Also, there will be any issue at the time of landing when I will provide a Canadian address from a friend of mine?

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If you look at the generic application form, you are allowed to have a different mailing address from your residential address. So you can both confirm your residence in the UK and provide a mailing address in Canada/USA. Since you won't be required to send a passport, your friend can fedex the COPR to you.

When you land, you will be required to give a Canadian address at which you can receive your permanent resident card. It would not be unusual to stay with a friend until you find a place of your own. It would simplify things to provide a Canadian mailing address now, and confirm it when you land.

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Thanks for the reply jes_ON.

As I was writing in another post, I would be happy if I could delay as much as possible the landing phase. Do you think that if the application will be moved to London this will happen somehow?

Delay the landing will be worthy only if it could happen around may/june but this will imply landing after medicals expiration. I read that if the request for landing comes too close to the medicals expiration date, CIC allows for an extension of the validity of the medicals. Provided that the cause is not the applicant itself.

Do you think there would be any chance that if I ask to update the mailing address such situation will occur, with CIC having to transfer the application? Or the fact that I am the one that moved, the cause is me?

I am not sure if is worthy to take the risk. I wouldn't want to end-up redoing medicals (don't like x-rays too much...) or messing up the landing process.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cecapp14 said:
As I was writing in another post, I would be happy if I could delay as much as possible the landing phase. Do you think that if the application will be moved to London this will happen somehow?

No, it won't change the expiry date of your COPR, but if it delays the delivery of the COPR (unlikely), then you would have less time to complete the landing. You will have up to 1 year from the date of your medical to land (or until the date your passport expires, if that happens sooner). The only time they would let you extend the time until landing is if the COPR is issued close to the 1 year expiry of the medical. If you have at least 2 months, then you won't get an extension.