+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filling out the TFW application + some tricky situation

Vectroid

Jul 2, 2010
Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding filling out the Application to Change/ Extend Stay in Canada as a Worker.

A bit of background:
- Currently on PGWP ending end of May.
- LMO sent in and being processed for a new work permit.
- Applied for Self Employed Permanent Residence in 2012, only got AOR so far.

Due to the nature of my work (design contracts), my employer can only write me up new contracts every 6 months. I've been working with them for 3 years on my open PGWP but now that it's expiring and PR still being processed, I have to apply for a new work permit to keep working there. They have already sent in an LMO application and I'm waiting on a confirmation code of some sort(?) so I decided to start filling out my application:

-In the box where it requires you to fill in the document number for my current work permit (PGWP), I noticed the input is locked to 9 characters while the full document number is 10 characters long (Filing it electronically so acrobat reader won't allow me to put more than 9 characters) In this case, is it better if I send in the docs physically?

-Details of Intended Work in Canada > What type of work permit are you applying for: There are only the following entries:
Open work permit
Seasonal Agricultural Work Program
Live-in Caregiver Program
Off-Campus Work Permit
Post Graduation Work Permit
Co-op Work Permit
Other

Wouldn't mine be a Closed Work Permit? Should I fill it in as Other>Closed Work Permit? I would have thought it would be a main entry?

-Are there any other solutions I am currently not aware of that would save me from having to have my employer apply for an LMO every 6 months and me for having to pay $150 for work permit renewal as well at the same time?

Thank you for your help people.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Did you look into the "bridging open work permit"? Not sure whether applying under "self-employed" category qualifies but you can check with the CIC call centre.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2012-12-17.asp

Vectroid

Jul 2, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion SenoritaBella, I believe I read somewhere on this forum the Entrepreneur and Self Employed class were somehow excluded from this program but I will give them a call on Monday to confirm. If it turns out I cannot apply for the bridging open permit, do you think I should still select Other > Closed Work Permit?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
"other" would be appropriate. Do you have to specify? If not, leave it blank and the officer should know it is one tied to your employer(based on LMO). But if you need to specify, then "closed work permit" would do.