Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Question regarding passport application.
I am starting to fill out my application, and I have a few questions.
My oath is on Jan-06-2016 and I am preparing my papers to apply ASAP on Jan 08 2016.
I'm going to apply as Urgent pay the fee and get my passport same day.
Here are my questions:

1 My Guarantor and my 2 reference bodies are away for vocation in the first 2 weeks of January 2016. So is this a problem ? Should I look for a Guarantor and references that are in town ? ( hard to find, they all travel for Xmas)

2. In the check list they say a passport picture "certified " by the Guarantor, what dose it mean ? Should he sign on the back of the picture?

banrad

Star Member
May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. They don't need to be in town, but must be accessible via phone, in case the Passport Program staff would try to contact them.
2. Yes, the guarantor needs to write down that he/she certifies the picture to be your true likeness and sign it. He/She also needs to fill out the guarantor's section on page 1 by hand and sign!

Please read ALL the instructions on pp. 4-7 of the passport application form carefully, especially the sections on Guarantor, References, and Photo Instructions. The answers to the questions you asked are provided there.

oren

May 8, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh man we need picture again. Btw is the after 48hrs you can apply or 2 business days? Also I thought there's no same day pick-up but next business day?

ari5323 said:
My oath is on Jan-06-2016 and I am preparing my papers to apply ASAP on Jan 08 2016.
Here are my questions:

1 My Guarantor and my 2 reference bodies are away for vocation in the first 2 weeks of January 2016. So is this a problem ? Should I look for a Guarantor and references that are in town ? ( hard to find, they all travel for Xmas)

2. In the check list they say a passport picture "certified " by the Guarantor, what dose it mean ? Should he sign on the back of the picture?

banrad

Star Member
May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no 48-hour or 2-business-day rule carved in stone. The CIC officer will tell you that you shouldn't apply earlier than 2 days after your ceremony, which gives them sufficient time to update their systems.
For instance, my ceremony was on Monday and we were instructed not to apply before Wednesday.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/notice-new-cit.asp

Of course, if you apply via mail instead of in person, as I did, you can submit your application on the very day of your ceremony as it will usually take at least 2 days for registered mail to be delivered ;)

And you are right, there's no same-day pick-up. Passport Program guarantees the end of the next business day pick-up at "urgent" processing surcharge. Nobody says it can't happen the same day, but they commit to "next business day".

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
Here are my questions:

HI ari5323,

You need them to be available for contact. passport Canada will contact guarantor if not your passport gets delayed. I suggest you get a guarantor who will pick up their call, In my case I went around 7 AM to stand in queue (Scarborough) and get a token at 8. I had prepared for 1 guarantor and 2 references. at the counter the officer asked for 2 more additional references. After I left the counter I called all my references and guarantor to be ready. At 8.30 my guarantor and 2 references called back and said they asked for my features (height, weight, color) how they know me etc.,
They did not call the other two references. At 1 PM I called them to see if it was ready and they asked me to come and collect it.
Guarantor has to sign the pic and the application.

If you can convince the cic clerk after ceremony you can apply the same day. passport Canada needs your citizenship certificate to be on their system to confirm if you are a citizen. Passport Canada can even call the cic clerk to get this confirmed. So technically you can get a passport the same day as your Oath is at 8.30 AM. but do not ask the clerk before your ceremony he/she will ask you to postpone your trip or postpone your Oath. Try and convince him/her after the ceremony. (S)he may also say that there are 3 more ceremonies after which only (s)he can enter your certificate number. Be convincing and get a good reason / proof etc., for your trip. all it takes is a click of a button from him/her and the time between ceremonies is long enough for that. Do not let him/her escape after the ceremony. You can take pics with the judge later. the crowd will be there for at least 1 hr after the ceremony. So go after the clerk as soon as the ceremony ends (after anthem)

All the best. Also there will be always two or three people in each ceremony who needs this urgent passport by now the clerks are callous by whatever reason you have so be prepared. If not got to passport office and give it a try on Jan 6th, 7th as well. On 8th morning you don't have to try for sure you will be in the system.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Thank you Chickloo my friend.
You have me a lot of great info.

Just curious why bring along the guarantor?

And one more question.
What it's not clear for me is the status of the References.
Do they have to have a Canadian passport or no ?
The guarantor, they ask his passport details !
Anybody that has the right answer please enlighten me.
Ari

manal2

Oct 24, 2012
Hi 4 days ago I received my passport and I have submitted my passport urgent next day after the oath Passport Office call guarantor and the 2 reference to ask some question about me and they asking the reason for urgent passport I show them the ticket because I am traveling for 2 weeks and they make a copy for my ticket but next day I received my passport
So don't worry but you should be ready for any question because this is their right to know every thing about any one befor they give the passport
To be honest the passport officer was very nice and kind

manal2

Oct 24, 2012
For guarantor should be citizen not less than 5years but for 2 reference doesn't matter if citizen or permanent residence i am sure because I filled my passport form and I received my passport next day and one of my reference was not citizen
Wish you and every body a good luck

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
Thank you Chickloo my friend.
You have me a lot of great info.

Just curious why bring along the guarantor?

And one more question.
What it's not clear for me is the status of the References.
Do they have to have a Canadian passport or no ?
The guarantor, they ask his passport details !
Anybody that has the right answer please enlighten me.
Ari
References need not be a citizen. If you have the guarantor with you nothing like it. My guarantor became a citizen in March and I became a citizen in may. So the only thing is they must be willing to sign and provide their passport details. If you can convince the guarantor to be with you nothing like it. Ask them to bring their passport when they accompany you.

Mehwish9

Star Member
Apr 2, 2009
One of the pic should be signed by the gaurantor, both references n gaurantor should be accessible by phone etc.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
chikloo said:
References need not be a citizen. If you have the guarantor with you nothing like it. My guarantor became a citizen in March and I became a citizen in may. So the only thing is they must be willing to sign and provide their passport details. If you can convince the guarantor to be with you nothing like it. Ask them to bring their passport when they accompany you.

Chicloo My dear friend.
as per your advice I arranged my passport application as follows.
1. a guarantor, that holds a Canadian passport, :p a blue blood born canadian ;)
2. a list of 12 jurors :p and 12 alternative ones, I printed out their names adresses and mobile numbers.
3. The guarantor will acompany me to the passport office.

Thank you so much for your clear advice.
Ari

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
Chicloo My dear friend.
as per your advice I arranged my passport application as follows.
1. a guarantor, that holds a Canadian passport, :p a blue blood born canadian ;)
2. a list of 12 jurors :p and 12 alternative ones, I printed out their names adresses and mobile numbers.
3. The guarantor will acompany me to the passport office.

Thank you so much for your clear advice.
Ari
Glad I could help ari. All the best for it to work as you planned and go on your merry trip as Canadian

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I became Canadian citizen yesterday (Yay :)). I would like to apply for urgent passport. I need passport to apply for visa for my home country as I need to visit family soon. Is this case fit for the needs of urgent passport application? Obviously, I don't have a booked ticket as I will book that after visa. Yes I am not traveling today or tomorrow but I need to travel at the earliest. Please suggest what to do in this case to expedite passport process.

Thanks,

davidken1

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
For guarantor should be citizen not less than 5years but for 2 reference doesn't matter if citizen or permanent residence i am sure because I filled my passport form and I received my passport next day and one of my reference was not citizen
Wish you and every body a good luck
Where does it says guarantor has to be minimum of 5 years Canadian citizen? Is this correct guys?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Where does it says guarantor has to be minimum of 5 years Canadian citizen? Is this correct guys?
That's a 2 years old message.
I don't know if it changed since then, but as of today, any 18+ years old canadian citizen with either a valid adult passport (5 or 10 years) or one which expired less than a year ago can be a guarantor.