+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing Taxes as an Independent Contractor

SteveShum

Sep 22, 2014
Hi All,

I became a Canadian permanent resident rencetly. However, I have also recently started working for a US company from Canada as an Independent contractor remotely. So the US company is paying me USD, without deducting any sort of taxes, and tranferring the money to my account in Canada. I was just a bit confused and needed some guidance on how I would file my Canadian taxes? Is there anything special I need to setup? Any sort of guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

db9

Sep 30, 2021
Hi All,

I became a Canadian permanent resident rencetly. However, I have also recently started working for a US company from Canada as an Independent contractor remotely. So the US company is paying me USD, without deducting any sort of taxes, and tranferring the money to my account in Canada. I was just a bit confused and needed some guidance on how I would file my Canadian taxes? Is there anything special I need to setup? Any sort of guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Hi Steve,

I know this is an old thread, were you able to figure out how to do this? I am in the same boat now. My US based company wants me to be an Independent Contractor and they have no Canadian presence. They will be paying me in USD and not withhold any taxes. Did you have to incorporate as a company? How did you manage your taxes?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Steve,

I know this is an old thread, were you able to figure out how to do this? I am in the same boat now. My US based company wants me to be an Independent Contractor and they have no Canadian presence. They will be paying me in USD and not withhold any taxes. Did you have to incorporate as a company? How did you manage your taxes?
Would suggest meeting with an accountant. What is best for your situation may not be the best for others.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi Steve,

You file your income using simpletax like normal and then it tells you how much tax to pay. Doesn't matter where the company is

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
This has been discussed several times if you dig deeper into this forum. As Canuck78 stated, you'll be best served if you speak with an accountant, especially one with cross-border experience. In short, you should probably be making quarterly payments to Revenue Canada. Your U.S. company may be at some risk, as they may not realize that they need to adhere to various Canadian labor laws (and possibly tax laws as well). You need professional advice.