+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing Tax for the first time

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
I moved to Canada permanently since August of 2009 from US.
How do I file tax in Canada for 2009? do I need to file tax in Canada for income earned before August 2009?
I believe I also have to file taxes in US, because I was working there for most of 2009.
Please advise.

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

When did you become a PR of Canada? If you became a PR of Canada and then continued to work in the US and if you had significant residential ties in Canada, you may need to declare your US income. The good news is that because the US and Canada have a tax treaty, you will not be double taxed for the same income in both countries, but you will still need to declare your income. I first filed taxes in Canada last year and I did them myself using software that I bought at Walmart. I filed my US taxes first so I knew how much I had to declare on my Canadian return. Your Canadian employer is required to send you your T4s no later than February 28.

The Revenue Canada website has answers to almost any tax question you can imagine. It was a great resource when I was preparing my return.http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nwcmr-eng.html.

P.d.R.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Since this is your first year filing in Canada, and you were a partial year resident in both countries, you will have to complete partial year returns for both countries (as well as the US state you were residing in). You'll also have to submit a copy of your US return to CRA. (I did this last year).

The "standard" version of UFile can handle this situation easily ($20 at Future Shop). It will do the provincial return automatically. Of course that is only the Canadian return, and you'll have to do your US return before you can finish your Canadian return. I assume you've filed in the US before, but if not let me know.

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
jes_ON said:
Since this is your first year filing in Canada, and you were a partial year resident in both countries, you will have to complete partial year returns for both countries (as well as the US state you were residing in). You'll also have to submit a copy of your US return to CRA. (I did this last year).

The "standard" version of UFile can handle this situation easily ($20 at Future Shop). It will do the provincial return automatically. Of course that is only the Canadian return, and you'll have to do your US return before you can finish your Canadian return. I assume you've filed in the US before, but if not let me know.
Jes_ON and everyone,
please advise on following:

I finished filing taxes on the US side. Now I am in the process of filing tax on the Canadian side.

I am using quicktax.ca. I declared my worldwide income since I moved to Canada which includes some foreign income and interest income from US. I entered foreign tax paid (US state + US Federal) on those income. Now it calculates $8 refund on the Canadian side. I have never filed taxes in Canada before. Is it logical to get refund in such situation?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
haven't used quicktax so I don't know the quirks of the software. It does sound strange, but it would depend on so many things (income, dependents, deductions) that it's not impossible. If your Ontario return was done (you're in ON right?) your premium for OHIP would be part of tax liability, so I suggest getting help.

Look for an immigrant settlement organization in your community - they usually offer free tax clinics, you can have some one look it over...