+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing RO appeal - my children are not PR

Sep 30, 2019
Hi Everyone, please help with my case!
Here's a little background, I was immigrated to Canada and landed in 1994 when I was 10years old, my dad later diagnosed with cancer, so we return to Hong Kong together as he wished to receive the medical treatment in Hong Kong and finally he passed away in 1999. I did not fulfill RO at the duration in Canada, my last present in Canada was in 2004, then return to HK again as my mom could not support our living in Canada.
I've never applied a PR card (with only landing paper at that time), I would like to return to Canada for good now (I have two children at age of 3 and a 4 months old), I applied the PRTD based on H&C, and it's been rejected, and I'm now filing the appeal. I plan to establish links here in Canada during the time to wait for appeal, like finding job and rent a place to live, etc.

Questions as below
  1. Is the chance getting the 1yr PR card for me to attend the appeal high in my case?
  2. my children are not PR, they are very young, in case I could return to Canada, they will accompany me as Visitor, the problem is can I extend their visitor visa to 2 years? (in case waiting for appeal takes up to 1-2 years) This is the biggest concern to me.
  3. do you think I have a big chance to win the appeal if I establish as much link here in Canada as possible during the time to wait for the appeal?
Thanks in advance everyone!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but given your age and limited time spent in Canada I would think your chances of a successful appeal are zero.

If you are not already in a Canada then without a PRTD not sure how other than via US border you could travel to Canada.

When you left in 2004 then you were 20 and considered an adult or at least past age majority so whether your mother could support or not does not seem relevant given you could have stayed on.

Generally H&C cases reported here have only had any success when the applicant has been in the under 22 range and not in 30s. What reasons were given for the PRTD rejection ?

good luck with your appeal anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: jddd

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's a little background, I was immigrated to Canada and landed in 1994 when I was 10years old, my dad later diagnosed with cancer, so we return to Hong Kong together as he wished to receive the medical treatment in Hong Kong and finally he passed away in 1999. I did not fulfill RO at the duration in Canada, my last present in Canada was in 2004, then return to HK again as my mom could not support our living in Canada.
I've never applied a PR card (with only landing paper at that time), I would like to return to Canada for good now (I have two children at age of 3 and a 4 months old), I applied the PRTD based on H&C, and it's been rejected, and I'm now filing the appeal. I plan to establish links here in Canada during the time to wait for appeal, like finding job and rent a place to live, etc.

Questions as below
  1. Is the chance getting the 1yr PR card for me to attend the appeal high in my case?
  2. my children are not PR, they are very young, in case I could return to Canada, they will accompany me as Visitor, the problem is can I extend their visitor visa to 2 years? (in case waiting for appeal takes up to 1-2 years) This is the biggest concern to me.
  3. do you think I have a big chance to win the appeal if I establish as much link here in Canada as possible during the time to wait for the appeal?
I don't think your appeal has any chances of succeeding. No - you should not expect that it will be possible to get a 1 year PR card since it has been so long since you have been in Canada.

You should assume the appeal will fail. If you wish to relocate to Canada, you should start looking into what it takes to apply for PR through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And realistically sounds like you did everything in Hong Kong , that Canada expected you to do here . Land, get settled , job, marriage, have children, pay into the income tax base , only thing missing in the puzzle is the most important piece , Canada . The IRCC obviously felt Canada was a after thought . Not surprising it was rejected

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Questions as below
1) One year PR cards are only issued to appellants that were physically in Canada at some point in the last 365 days. This is not the case for you. Appeal will be conducted by phone, letter or email instead.

As 2) and 3) are dependent on 1), they are not applicable.

Sep 30, 2019
Yes...I know my chance is really low, and the H&C is based on what is happening now in Hong Kong, don’t know if you guys are aware with the condition now in HK, the horrible police brutality is harming not only protestors but citizens that walk by the scene that were not blocked, I was trying my luck to see if I could go back to Canada for good.

Just wondering, if they really will issue 1yr PR card to me, does it mean I have better chance to win the appeal?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes...I know my chance is really low, and the H&C is based on what is happening now in Hong Kong, don’t know if you guys are aware with the condition now in HK, the horrible police brutality is harming not only protestors but citizens that walk by the scene that were not blocked, I was trying my luck to see if I could go back to Canada for good.

Just wondering, if they really will issue 1yr PR card to me, does it mean I have better chance to win the appeal?
You will not be issued the 1 year PR card since you don't meet the requirements. No - having the 1 year PR card will not give you a better chance of winning the appeal.

Yes - we are all very aware of what his happening in HK. Unfortunately this is not in any way relevant to your H&C case. The H&C case decision will be purely based on the residency requirement and your reasons for having failed to meet it.

IMO the appeal is a waste of time and you should instead focus on qualifying and applying to immigrate through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Reactions: jddd and zardoz

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

This indicates that you are not committed to Canada but you are trying to use it as an "escape hatch".
Using this argument will not assist your appeal in the slightest. It may actually harm it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Just to really make sure it's clear, your H&C argument cannot be based on what is happening in HK now. This doesn't matter for the H&C argument. It has to be based on the reasons that made you leave Canada and prevented you from returning earlier.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Agree with what everyone above said.

1. You have no chance at all to get a 1 year PRTD. None at all.

2. Do your children already have visitor visas? If not, the difficulty will actually be getting them one. As they are not PRs, Canada is under no obligation to let them enter the country either.

3. You have no chance at an appeal.

You should let your PR be revoked and apply from scratch.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . I was immigrated to Canada and landed in 1994 when I was 10 years old, my dad later diagnosed with cancer, so we return to Hong Kong . . . I did not fulfill RO at the duration in Canada, my last present in Canada was in 2004, then return to HK . . . I applied the PRTD based on H&C, and it's been rejected, and I'm now filing the appeal. I plan to establish links here in Canada during the time to wait for appeal, like finding job and rent a place to live, etc.

Questions as below

As others have observed, with some emphasis, it appears your chances of keeping Canadian PR status range from very poor to virtually NO chance. Indeed, the formal decision terminating your PR status has already been made, in that your PR TD application was denied.

You have a right of appeal, of course, and it appears you intend to pursue an appeal. To keep your PR status you will need to win the appeal, thus in effect persuading the IAD to overrule or set aside the decision terminating your PR status. Since that decision was clearly valid in law (you failed to meet the RO), your only chance to win depends on making a strong H&C case (to be addressed more in a separate post).

While an appeal is still pending you continue to have PR status. You continue to be a Canadian. That means you have most (not all) the rights and privileges any and every other PR has. Including the right to enter Canada, and stay and work in Canada.

Thus, if you are able to travel to Canada so as to arrive at a PoE into Canada, you should be and most likely will be allowed to enter Canada, and then you can stay and work . . . BUT ONLY UNTIL THE APPEAL IS DECIDED, and after that ONLY IF YOU WIN the APPEAL.

Note: while PR TD appeals may take one to two years, there is no guarantee it will take that long. Some only take six to ten months. There is a significant probability you will not have much of an opportunity, time wise, to actually establish a life in Canada before the appeal is heard and decided.

AND AGAIN, as others observe, ODDS of WINNING the APPEAL ARE LOW, VERY LOW, and probably so low as to virtually be NO chance at all. And they will still be low, very low, even if you are able to come and stay in Canada pending the IAD hearing.

Leading to your particular questions:

Q 1. Is the chance getting the 1yr PR card for me to attend the appeal high in my case?

My sense is you are asking the wrong question. You do not need a PR card to attend the appeal or to otherwise come and stay in Canada pending the appeal. Moreover, to qualify for a PR card the application for any PR card must be made IN Canada. So to obtain a one year PR card you will need to first come to Canada.

What I apprehend your question is really about is whether your can obtain the special PR Travel Document which allows a PR to return to Canada pending the appeal. PRs who can show they have been physically IN Canada within the previous year will usually be issued the special PR TD (upon application). PRs who have NOT been IN Canada for more than a year will ordinarily NOT be issued such a PR TD (though some might) and my sense is you have very little chance of being issued such a PR TD.

Which means you cannot board a flight to Canada.

Thus, the problem most PRs abroad have in your situation is HOW TO ACTUALLY GET TO CANADA. But if you can travel to Canada otherwise, such as by traveling via the U.S., and you have an appeal pending, as a Canadian PR you are entitled to almost all the privileges any PR has, including in particular the privilege of entering Canada and staying and working in Canada UNTIL the appeal is concluded.

Once in Canada you could apply for and be issued a one-year PR card. Maybe. But that has relatively little significance. You can stay, with or without a one-year PR card, and if you are able to come and stay that will SLIGHTLY improve your chances of winning the appeal; the only advantage a one-year card will give you is that having the card would allow you to travel abroad and back to Canada.

Q 2. my children are not PR, they are very young, in case I could return to Canada, they will accompany me as Visitor, the problem is can I extend their visitor visa to 2 years? (in case waiting for appeal takes up to 1-2 years) This is the biggest concern to me.

If this is your biggest concern, this reinforces the prudence of what others suggest, which is to start over and apply anew. Of course this option is viable only if you are eligible for PR and thus may be a rather limited option.

The problem is NOT merely being able to extend their visitor status, but getting visitor visas at all.

This is particularly problematic since, as you apprehend, whatever slim (very slim) chance you have to win the appeal, that small chance probably depends some on you being able to come to Canada, and then staying in Canada pending the appeal, including settling in Canada pending the appeal. If doing that without your family is NOT an option, the odds are that this alone could stymie your efforts to pursue the appeal from within Canada.

That said, if your family members are given visitor status and then they are with you IN Canada, my sense is that they would be allowed to extend their status as long as your appeal is still pending.

Q 3. do you think I have a big chance to win the appeal if I establish as much link here in Canada as possible during the time to wait for the appeal?

This one is easy to answer: NO.

And to the extent others here have expressed a similar view, I concur.

If you are able to come to Canada, and settle and stay pending the appeal, that will be a positive H&C factor BUT given the extent of your absence from Canada, NO, this is not likely to carry much weight and almost certainly will NOT convert a very poor chance into even a moderately good chance let alone a "big chance."

In other words, to actually come to Canada (such as via the U.S.) will be a big gamble with low odds of success.

THE H&C CASE ITSELF:

Based on what you report here, it demands emphasizing you do NOT have much chance to win an appeal based on H&C factors. Coming to Canada and staying IN Canada pending the appeal is NOT likely to help much. Some, yes. But it is NOT likely this will come anywhere near close to changing the outcome.

In this regard it is worth noting that most of the circumstances you describe, including in effect being removed as a minor, and the respective reasons why your parents and you remained abroad, are similarly factors which might carry some positive weight BUT THAT IS LIKELY OUTWEIGHED, BY A LOT, GIVEN THE OVERALL LENGTH OF THE ABSENCE and, IN PARTICULAR, HOW LONG IT HAS BEEN SINCE YOU WERE LAST IN CANADA.

I do NOT know how much weight might be given claims of hardship or danger, based on current conditions in HK, but I suspect these will NOT be given anywhere near enough weight to tip the scales toward allowing relief . . . albeit this could change depending on what happens in HK between now and when the IAD hearing takes place. (Note: I strongly disagree with the view that such a factor is not relevant; on the contrary, potential hardship and especially danger in the PR's home country is explicitly an important H&C factor. This will be the subject of a separate post.)

I especially concur in the response by @Bs65 . . . that response appears to more or less fully cover your situation . . .
. . . even if I am hesitant to judge that any H&C based appeal has a zero chance, some cases, including yours, appear to have such poor odds I understand why many will say there is (at least practically) a zero chance.

BUT there have been some other comments above which are erroneous or at least call for some clarification. Especially for any other PRs reading this topic for information potentially relevant to their situations.

So I will follow this post with another addressing those . . . the important thing to recognize and remember is that even though I disagree with some of the particular observations made about H&C cases, I agree with the overall consensus here, that YOUR chances of keeping PR status are remote at best.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Before addressing H&C factors more extensively . . .

AN OBSERVATION DISTINGUISHING SPECIAL PR TD VERSUS ONE-YEAR PR CARDS:

1) One year PR cards are only issued to appellants that were physically in Canada at some point in the last 365 days. This is not the case for you. Appeal will be conducted by phone, letter or email instead.
My impression is this confuses the issuance of one-year PR cards for PRs IN Canada who have a RO related appeal pending, versus the application for a special PR Travel Document which may be issued to a PR abroad whose PR TD application has been denied, thus facilitating a return to Canada pending an appeal.

Which it appears the OP is also confused about. As I addressed in my previous post.

For clarification:

PRs abroad who are denied a PR TD may appeal AND if they have been IN Canada within the previous year (within 365 days preceding their application for the denied PR TD) they will ordinarily be granted a special PR TD for the purpose of traveling to Canada pending the appeal. Even if the PR has not been in Canada within the previous year, the PR can make this application and sometimes, but NOT usually, be issued a special PR TD. Usually, as in nearly always, a PR who has not been in Canada for years will not be issued a special PR TD, and unless they can and actually do travel to Canada without a PR TD (which would be via the U.S.), then as you say the appeal may be conducted by phone or in the absence of the PR.

The one-year PR card is ONLY available to a PR who is IN Canada and has an RO related appeal pending. As I recall, granting the one-year card is discretionary but, as best I can discern, usually granted . . . so long as the PR is perceived to be and actually is RESIDING in Canada.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
THE H&C CASE ITSELF:

At the risk of inordinate redundancy, again the OP's particular case appears to have little chance of success. See previous post for more detail.

There have been some comments posted here, however, which are erroneous or at least call for some clarification. Especially for any other PRs reading this topic for information potentially relevant to their situations and presenting H&C reasons.

NONETHELESS, to be clear, I agree with the general, overall assessments offered above . . . but there are some particular statements that are simply incorrect or misleading.

Yes - we are all very aware of what his happening in HK. Unfortunately this is not in any way relevant to your H&C case. The H&C case decision will be purely based on the residency requirement and your reasons for having failed to meet it.
This indicates that you are not committed to Canada but you are trying to use it as an "escape hatch".
Using this argument will not assist your appeal in the slightest. It may actually harm it.
Just to really make sure it's clear, your H&C argument cannot be based on what is happening in HK now. This doesn't matter for the H&C argument. It has to be based on the reasons that made you leave Canada and prevented you from returning earlier.
It is especially NOT true that the "H&C case decision will be purely based on the residency requirement and [the PR's] reasons for having failed to meet it."

In contrast, while the outcome of the decision went against the PR, Federal Court Justice Gascon somewhat recently emphasized the role of resulting hardship, stating that H&C relief . . .
". . . acts as a sort of safety valve available for exceptional cases. A common theme animating the H&C considerations in the IRPA is the need to link the H&C relief to some form of serious hardship to be corrected, to some misfortunes that amount to more than the normal and expected consequences of removal from Canada and that need to be relieved."​

This statement, in Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Tefera, 2017 FC 204 http://canlii.ca/t/h067p , is cited by the IAD as affirming the "standard of hardship," such as in the IAD decision Ibrahim v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2018 CanLII 60499 http://canlii.ca/t/hst3d (both these cases went against the respective PRs, the degree of hardship being found to NOT be sufficient to justify relief).

NOTE: The difficulty of meeting this or that standard DOES NOT MEAN that issue is not considered. It is WRONG to say that security concerns in the OP's home country will NOT be considered. They MUST be considered if the PR presents evidence on the issue. The problem for the OP is that it will likely be very difficult to sufficiently show that the extent to which conditions in the HK will constitute a hardship are such as to justify relief for the OP's failure to so extensively fail to comply with the RO.

Additional Factors Considered:

In particular, in addition to what are generally referred to as, and in ENF 23 listed under the label "extent of non-compliance" factors (that is, factors related to the residency requirement itself, including length of absence as well as the number of days short of compliance, and reasons for being or remaining abroad), the relevant H&C factors specifically include (but, importantly, are NOT limited to):

-- best interests of minor children MUST be considered (note, for the OP here this is not likely to be a positive factor since the children are not Canadians, have no ties to a life in Canada, and indeed have been living outside Canada their entire lives)

-- any factor related to ties in Canada MUST be considered (note, for the OP here this is NOT a positive factor and, indeed, will be a negative factor given virtually no ties); this is labeled "Establishment in and outside Canada" in ENF 23

-- the hardship that will result if the PR loses PR status MUST be considered (note, for the OP here, generalized difficult security conditions in the HK are probably NOT sufficient to tip the scales much); to be clear, if a PR faces hardship due to dangerous conditions in the country where the PR will be compelled to live if PR status is lost, that MUST be considered and depending on the conditions in that country, this can be a HUGE positive factor
-- -- this includes potential hardship to the PR's family (albeit this is primarily about hardship resulting to family IN Canada)​

For further clarity it warrants emphasizing that at every stage of the process, from the decision-making in the visa office to the IAD panel's decision-making in an appeal, a broad range of H&C factors MUST be considered before making a determination that terminates PR status. There is NO exclusive list of what constitutes H&C factors to be considered. Any factor which can have any bearing on whether there are humanitarian and compassionate factors MUST be considered if raised by the PR.

In particular, for example, difficult living or security conditions in the country where the PR will be compelled to live, if PR status is lost, MUST BE CONSIDERED.

As with most H&C cases, however, the devil-is-in-the-details and for the PR who has been living abroad just that fact, illustrating the PR can live abroad, tends to weaken a case built on the claim that living abroad would be an undue hardship.

To be clear, it is the statutory act, IRPA itself, that mandates the consideration of humanitarian and compassionate factors before making a determination that may lead to a loss of permanent resident status. This is explicitly stated in numerous IAD and Federal Court decisions, and in the operational manual ENF 23 "Loss of permanent resident status" (at section 7.7 beginning on page 26), and is specifically based on Section 28.(2)(c) IRPA https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-7.html#h-274598

As it is stated in ENF 23, and not only restated but oft times amplified in IAD decisions, "The range of factors to be considered can not be restricted by [the] guidelines. Officers are obliged to consider all the information presented by a permanent resident." Moreover, "Permanent residents are free to make submissions on any aspect of their personal circumstances that they feel would warrant retention of their permanent resident status."

While ENF 23 does not offer much detail, it nonetheless affirms that the "presence and degree of consequential hardship," resulting from a loss of PR status, is among the factors that MUST be considered. And numerous IAD decisions illuminate and amplify the importance of considering the consequences losing PR status will have on the PR, including "difficult security conditions" in the country where the PR must live if not in Canada.

This does not mean a PR in the OP's situation can easily establish sufficient H&C reasons, as @zardoz labels it, for PR status to effectively be an "escape hatch." On the contrary, part of the difficulty in relying on this factor to be given much weight is that even rather difficult but generalized conditions in the country typically do not constitute enough hardship to overcome such an extended breach of the RO, ESPECIALLY if the PR has been living in that country.

But, for example, IF the OP here can travel to Canada and stay pending the appeal, AND IF conditions in HK deteriorate considerably in the meantime, that could dramatically affect the calculation of prospective hardship that would result from the loss of status.

As reiterated by a Federal Court, agreeing with the IAD panel in that case, it is recognized that any loss of status causes hardship . . . but the inquiry is "whether the hardship and dislocation caused by the loss [justifies] the granting of special relief." See Sanchez Zapata v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2018 FC 1250 http://canlii.ca/t/j01mj

There are scores of IAD decisions which address consideration of the consequential hardship factor, but of course in the majority of these cases (by a rather substantial margin), the PRs fail to show sufficient hardship to justify relief from their failure to comply with the RO. In particular, there are DOZENS of IAD decisions specifically stating that the "hardship or dislocation that would be caused" the PR is a factor to be considered.

The analysis in one recent IAD decision, X (Re), 2018 CanLII 14511 http://canlii.ca/t/hr4f6 specifically illustrates that hardship in the home country is a positive factor to be considered (in this case, worsening conditions for gay men constituted the hardship to be considered).