BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
Hey all!

Recently just landed here in Canada. (Nov. 24. 2017) but have been living in Canada since Dec.11.2015.
All of last year we didn't go back to the states at all. wanted to play it safe while the PR application was in. So Canada was for sure my tax home.
Now I'm currently in a Common-law relationship recognized by British Columbia and Canada. student, who was working, and did pay my Canadian taxes.. but am still a US citizen and made Zero dollars in the US.

So my questions are..
1.- how do I file taxes? any suggestions? I usually use turbo tax.
2. - Do I need to claim my common law spouse and his income? I know that since we have a shared income, I have to claim what I have access to through the FBARs. (reporting to the IRS that my bank account had over 10K USD at one point).
3. Any other tips? last year I filed by myself and just claimed all my foreign income, but this year since I'm now in the common-law marriage. I don't know what to do.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Depending on your income level, you can use any of the free file services. If your income is not complicated and sourced primarily from employment, then most softwares can do this. If you have self employment income, own property, own foreign stocks/mutual funds, or have a TFSA then you will likely need professional advice and help.

2) It’s up to you whether you want to file a joint return or not. There can be some advantages, depending on your situation, but it sounds like you have an uncomplicated tax situation.

3) I would file separately like you did in the previous year. Common law marriage doesn’t make it any more complicated.