+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File Taxes for Work Permit Holder with no salary?

casaout

Aug 19, 2017
hi

I will be working as a researcher at a university in Canada for 6.5 months. To that purpose, I was awarded with a work permit. However, I will continue to receive my salary from my home university (i.e. have no salary in Canada). Will I still have to file my taxes?

If I am not mistaken in the US, I'd have to file taxes when I stay in the USA for more than 180 days. Is there a similar law in Canada?

Thank you

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi

I will be working as a researcher at a university in Canada for 6.5 months. To that purpose, I was awarded with a work permit. However, I will continue to receive my salary from my home university (i.e. have no salary in Canada). Will I still have to file my taxes?

If I am not mistaken in the US, I'd have to file taxes when I stay in the USA for more than 180 days. Is there a similar law in Canada?

Thank you
As a tax resident of Canada, you are required to file taxes and report your worldwide income.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
hi

Thank you
Specific dates of this 6.5 months?

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reactions: casaout