+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File returned as incomplete

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Generally, if there is a conflict between the "Guide" for an application, and other information on the IRCC web site, the "Guide" must be considered the authority. I seem to remember seeing this explicitly stated somewhere.
The guide itself explicitly states that none of its contents are paramount: "In case of a discrepancy between the language in this document and the relevant legislation or regulations, the legal text in the legislation and regulations prevails."

But here we have a conflict between the operational manual and the guide, so who knows what takes precedence. I guess going with the stricter requirement (passport + 1 other piece of photo ID + 1 other ID or no passport + 2 pieces of photo ID) is the wisest choice anyway.

Reactions: sylviabenita

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
My file returned with the following message: "you have not submitted two identification documents". Although I have submitted my: 1. passports and 2. PR card. What else is needed now?
Generally speaking, the PR card is not accepted as an identity document. It seems that some people get lucky and it goes through, but the PR card is not listed as the recommended options for the ID document.

The reason why the PR card is not accepted as ID (unless you get lucky) is that you are basically proving your identity to IRCC with a document that IRCC issued. That's circular. It's like a university asking you "we are not sure if the name we have in your student record is actually your real name, can you give us proof of your name?" and you show them your student ID as proof of your name, which was printed based on these very student records. It's kind of pointless.

Another way to detail this is:

Name that IRCC has on file for you --> Name that will be printed on your PR card --> You then show the PR card to IRCC to prove that the name they have on file is your true name.
I hope that clarifies why an IRCC issued document can't be used as proof of ID when dealing with IRCC.

(That doesn't change that some people get lucky)

Regarding actual options for the ID document, see the posts above.

Reactions: sylviabenita

Sarani

Mar 15, 2018
Generally speaking, the PR card is not accepted as an identity document. It seems that some people get lucky and it goes through, but the PR card is not listed as the recommended options for the ID document.

The reason why the PR card is not accepted as ID (unless you get lucky) is that you are basically proving your identity to IRCC with a document that IRCC issued. That's circular. It's like a university asking you "we are not sure if the name we have in your student record is actually your real name, can you give us proof of your name?" and you show them your student ID as proof of your name, which was printed based on these very student records. It's kind of pointless.

Another way to detail this is:

Name that IRCC has on file for you --> Name that will be printed on your PR card --> You then show the PR card to IRCC to prove that the name they have on file is your true name.
I hope that clarifies why an IRCC issued document can't be used as proof of ID when dealing with IRCC.

(That doesn't change that some people get lucky)

Regarding actual options for the ID document, see the posts above.

Sarani

Mar 15, 2018
Thanks all for you feedback. Seeing Spyfy response was a wish coming true. So, I will send copied of my Diving ID and Health Card along with my returned file. Thanks again. Greatly appreciate any other input too.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Hmm... Looks like I got lucky. I just submitted my passport and PR card as ID's. I got AoR and IP... I just remember their guidelines said any government issued photo ID with name and date of birth is OK. I thought the PR card satisfied all those conditions. I guess it's not considered ID in the first place, as it's a travel document? But, isn't the passport a travel doc as well? o_O

They should be more specific in their checklist/guidelines. If IRCC/CIC don't accept ID issued from themselves, just specify that. I also heard on this forum people used Ontario health card for minors as ID and got accepted - ON health card for minors don't have photo on it, so aren't they contradicting their own guidelines??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It's for this same reasoning that a COPR is not considered an identity document.
I submitted passport, PR card AND driving licence, to cover the bases.

toronto213

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hmm... Looks like I got lucky. I just submitted my passport and PR card as ID's. I got AoR and IP... I just remember their guidelines said any government issued photo ID with name and date of birth is OK. I thought the PR card satisfied all those conditions. I guess it's not considered ID in the first place, as it's a travel document? But, isn't the passport a travel doc as well? o_O

They should be more specific in their checklist/guidelines. If IRCC/CIC don't accept ID issued from themselves, just specify that. I also heard on this forum people used Ontario health card for minors as ID and got accepted - ON health card for minors don't have photo on it, so aren't they contradicting their own guidelines??
Same here

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

I totally agree, they are not very explicit regarding what documents are acceptable. It gets even less precise when it comes to minors. And yeah, many people make it through with the PR card, I think it really depends how much the case worker at the Sydney office cares.

Why the PR card is not accepted (or at least why I think it is not accepted) I explained in my post above.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
My file returned with the following message: "you have not submitted two identification documents". Although I have submitted my: 1. passports and 2. PR card. What else is needed now?
PR card is for the PR card requirement
Passport is for the passport requirement
For the ID requirement: photocopy your passport again and DL or health card

Sarani

Mar 15, 2018
I called the CIC and was informed by the agent that PR Card is not accepted as an identity. Period! So now I am planning to send copies of my driving license and health card. Thanks all.

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
I called the CIC and was informed by the agent that PR Card is not accepted as an identity. Period! So now I am planning to send copies of my driving license and health card. Thanks all.
Good idea.

jadeja

Oct 6, 2011
Acceptable documents to show identity for citizenship applications
Applicants must be able to prove that they are who they say they are.

Among the documents required for an application, they must provide at least two documents to establish their identity. Both pieces of identification must show the applicant’s name and date of birth, and at least one document must have a photograph of the applicant.

Applicants residing outside Canada may not be able to provide Canadian identity documents. Applicants can provide foreign identity documents that are equivalent to Canadian identity documents, such as a passport or government-issued identification documents.

Children of preschool age may not be able to provide two identity documents or an identity document that includes their photo. In such cases, an explanation letter must accompany their application. Officers may use discretion for preschool age children.

Officers must consider what documents are available in the foreign country and, where possible, seek appropriate confirmation of the authenticity of the identity documents through the Canadian consular mission that has the local expertise in the foreign country.

The following are some, but not all, of the documents that can be used to establish identity. This is not a complete list and it is not in order of priority:

• age of majority card;
  • Certificate of Indian Status card;
  • driver’s license;
  • passport;
  • health insurance identification card;
  • senior citizen’s card;
  • travel document.
Documents not accepted as a piece of identification:
  • Birth certificate: used to establish the person’s date and place of birth and can also be used to establish parentage between a child and their parent(s).
  • Document establishing Canadian citizenship status: citizenship or naturalization certificate, retention certificate and certificate of registration of birth abroad.
Documents issued by the registrar of civil Status in the Province of Quebec (Directeur de l’état civil)
Only documents issued by the Registrar of Civil Status after January 1, 1994, are acceptable to apply for a proof document, a replacement of a proof document or a grant of citizenship. Clients submitting documents issued before January 1, 1994, should be directed to contact the Quebec government.