+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File returned as incomplete

Sarani

Mar 15, 2018
My file returned with the following message: "you have not submitted two identification documents". Although I have submitted my: 1. passports and 2. PR card. What else is needed now?

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
My file returned with the following message: "you have not submitted two identification documents". Although I have submitted my: 1. passports and 2. PR card. What else is needed now?
Health card, drivers licence, copr alone with passport and pr card. That’s what I included.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
A driving licence or the non-driver provincial ID card is a good bet. There have been questions in the past whether a PR card is considered government issued ID or not. I guess that the answer was not...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Uranus

Star Member
Aug 28, 2015
my PR card has my photo on the card. do not why it could not be counted as identification card. or your PR card is an old one?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
A PR card is considered a status document rather than an identity document. It seems to occasionally be accepted as proof of identity (not surprising, considering it has photo and signature on it), but that is not its purpose.

(As people mentioned health cards: Ontario has restrictions on the use of their health card as a proof of identity. It's unclear if that applies for a citizenship application, but it seems prudent to use a driver's licence or photo card instead.)

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
COPR is not considered an identity document. It has no photograph.
Only one of the ids need to have a photo. As I mentioned, those are all the documents I submitted.

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only one of the ids need to have a photo. As I mentioned, those are all the documents I submitted.
You should have submitted one more ID apart from the ones you have submitted. This can be a drivers licence or a health card. I submitted a copy of my passport, PR card and my Alberta Health card.

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
You should have submitted one more ID apart from the ones you have submitted. This can be a drivers licence or a health card. I submitted a copy of my passport, PR card and my Alberta Health card.
I submitted all those and my file is almost complete (DM). It’s the OP whose file was returned.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Where exactly do you find that information?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

Step 3 – Gather your documents
Submit the following documents with your application:

• original printout of your Online Physical Presence Calculation or form CIT 0407 (PDF, 1.98MB)
  • photocopies of all valid and expired passports or travel documents you had in the past 5 years. If you don’t have these documents or there are gaps in time between travel documents, we will ask for an explanation.
  • if you didn’t have a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 2 pieces of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • if you had a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 1 piece of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • If you are 18 to 54 years old:
    • Photocopies of your proof of English or French language ability if you are 18-54 years of age. Examples of what you can provide include the following:
      • results of a third-party language test;
      • diploma, certificate or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program in Canada or abroad, where the language of study was English or French
      • proof that you have reached the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 or higher through a government-funded language training programs.
        OR
    • If you are 18-54 years of age and unable to demonstrate that you have the necessary English or French language ability due to a medical condition, you must submit a supporting evidence with your application. Please provide photocopies of one of the following:
      • An audiogram and an attestation issued by a Canadian audiologist if you are hearing impaired; or
      • Evidence from a medical practitioner in Canada if you have a disorder, disability or condition that is cognitive, psychiatric or physiological in nature.
  • Photocopy of personal identification
  • two (2) identical citizenship photos
  • The application fee of $630.00 per adult paid online. Use the Document Checklist (CIT 0007) (PDF, 1.83MB) to make sure your application package is complete. Submit the completed checklist with your application.

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

• original printout of your Online Physical Presence Calculation or form CIT 0407 (PDF, 1.98MB)
  • photocopies of all valid and expired passports or travel documents you had in the past 5 years. If you don’t have these documents or there are gaps in time between travel documents, we will ask for an explanation.
    • photocopies of 2 pieces of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
    • photocopies of 1 piece of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
  • If you are 18 to 54 years old:
    • Photocopies of your proof of English or French language ability if you are 18-54 years of age. Examples of what you can provide include the following:
      • results of a third-party language test;
      • diploma, certificate or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program in Canada or abroad, where the language of study was English or French
      • proof that you have reached the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 or higher through a government-funded language training programs.
        OR
    • If you are 18-54 years of age and unable to demonstrate that you have the necessary English or French language ability due to a medical condition, you must submit a supporting evidence with your application. Please provide photocopies of one of the following:
      • An audiogram and an attestation issued by a Canadian audiologist if you are hearing impaired; or
      • Evidence from a medical practitioner in Canada if you have a disorder, disability or condition that is cognitive, psychiatric or physiological in nature.
  • two (2) identical citizenship photos
  • The application fee of $630.00 per adult paid online. Use the Document Checklist (CIT 0007) (PDF, 1.83MB) to make sure your application package is complete. Submit the completed checklist with your application.
Apologies then. Since I sent everything I have as identification, I didnt have any problem. But quick research told me that you only need 2 piece of id both with photograph IF you don’t have a passport. If you have passport copy submitted then you need 2 ids and one of them should have a photograph.

However this is what I found on Canada.ca website and I followed it without any issue.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html

Acceptable documents to show identity for citizenship applications
Applicants must be able to prove that they are who they say they are.

Among the documents required for an application, they must provide at least two documents to establish their identity. Both pieces of identification must show the applicant’s name and date of birth, and at least one document must have a photograph of the applicant.

Last edited:

btbt

Feb 26, 2018

• (...)
I went looking for this, because I also remembered seeing the requirement being two pieces of ID, one of which must have a photograph.

The guide you quote (the one for adult applications) doesn't have that wording, yet both guides for applications for minors have that wording, as does the one for adult applicants who have served with the Canadian Forces. From the latter: "Both pieces of identification should show your name and date of birth, one of which must have your photo on it"

It's odd that this (or a more stringent requirement, if that's what they want) is not in the guidelines for adult applicants. There's just the very vague "Photocopy of personal identification" and no details of what that entails.

(And looks like @sylviabenita was better at finding the relevant bit of information :) - thanks!)

Reactions: sylviabenita

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Generally, if there is a conflict between the "Guide" for an application, and other information on the IRCC web site, the "Guide" must be considered the authority. I seem to remember seeing this explicitly stated somewhere.

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
The guide as well says 2 ids with photograph IF you don’t have a passport in the last 5 years. If you had passport in the last 5 years then you need 2 ids and one of them should have photograph. I have copied and pasted this below from your post.
Generally, if there is a conflict between the "Guide" for an application, and other information on the IRCC web site, the "Guide" must be considered the authority. I seem to remember seeing this explicitly stated somewhere.

Last edited: