+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File for divorce/separation for sponsored spouse overseas (PR application not started yet)

sharma2020

May 15, 2020
Hello, I have a question. I applied for my wife's sponsorship to come to Canada from India where she currently resides. Due to some unwanted circumstances we are looking at separation/divorce, I am in Canada a Canadian born citizen and she is currently in India. Can you please tell me the procedure and also I believe her application hasn't even started to process yet, can she actually claim any money like matrimonial house (my house where I'm living in Toronto) or any other money from me? I mean technically she is not here yet in Canada, nor has she been given a permanent residence.

Thanks in advance

nikolain

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Send a Webform to IRCC to withdraw the application, as for what she can claim from you is a thing to be discussed with your lawyer and the courts

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I have a question. I applied for my wife's sponsorship to come to Canada from India where she currently resides. Due to some unwanted circumstances we are looking at separation/divorce, I am in Canada a Canadian born citizen and she is currently in India. Can you please tell me the procedure and also I believe her application hasn't even started to process yet, can she actually claim any money like matrimonial house (my house where I'm living in Toronto) or any other money from me? I mean technically she is not here yet in Canada, nor has she been given a permanent residence.

Thanks in advance
When you actually separate / divorce, you must withdraw your application. Particularly important if you think there is a chance you would wish to sponsor in future. As well as remaining financially responsible for any social assistance she might receive from government in Canada.

As for the rest of your questions: you really should see a lawyer.

sharma2020

May 15, 2020
Thanks for the replies, yes I also found out that I can revoke the PR application. I am just a little more worried and curious in general would a sponsored person be able to claim any money in this type of situation where they have not even been granted PR or have yet lived in the matrimonial house of the person sponsoring nor entered the country in which they are living. I will ask a lawyer but wanted to know if anyone had any experience/knowledge on this matter.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies, yes I also found out that I can revoke the PR application. I am just a little more worried and curious in general would a sponsored person be able to claim any money in this type of situation where they have not even been granted PR or have yet lived in the matrimonial house of the person sponsoring nor entered the country in which they are living. I will ask a lawyer but wanted to know if anyone had any experience/knowledge on this matter.
If her PR application hasn't been completed, she is not a PR yet. Send webform to withdraw the application (you do not have to wait till the divorce. It can be done any time before the application has been approved.)

For the rest of the questions, it's family law and it also depends on where you got married. There is no immigration implication to that. Consult your lawyer.