+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Few questions regarding Spousal Sponsorship

needhelp6622

Sep 4, 2020
1. imm0008depenu - this form, (Me and spouse dont have dependents), can we just not include this in the package or we have to submit this but write N/A in every field?
2. imm5476 - Me (sponsor), do I have to fill out the representative form to view the status of our application or just don't include this in the package?
3. I will be sponsoring my wife, does this automatically makes me a "representative"?
4. imm5406 - I am the sponsor, PR in Canada, do I have to fill this up too?
5. Can I provide latest CRA Notice of Assessment form (proof of support) + An explanation letter? Explanation letter because last year I was laid off due to covid, my income was less.
6. They said provide the latest CRA Notice of Assessment, is it okay if I provide from the 3 previous years (to make our case stronger)?
7. Application package asks for Police clearance from NBI (national bureau of investigation) only, but can we still provide additional Police clearance from a local police station?
8. For this statement below, can we provide Video Call screenshots instead of chat messages? If not, what can be another another "documented proof of contact". We were in long distance relationship before.

9. For the statement below, we are planning only to provide Join Bank Statement, will that be enough? Any other examples

10. For the statement below, Facebook posts with our extended family members, will that be enough? Or any other examples?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
1. imm0008depenu - this form, (Me and spouse dont have dependents), can we just not include this in the package or we have to submit this but write N/A in every field?
2. imm5476 - Me (sponsor), do I have to fill out the representative form to view the status of our application or just don't include this in the package?
3. I will be sponsoring my wife, does this automatically makes me a "representative"?
5. Can I provide latest CRA Notice of Assessment form (proof of support) + An explanation letter? Explanation letter because last year I was laid off due to covid, my income was less.
6. They said provide the latest CRA Notice of Assessment, is it okay if I provide from the 3 previous years (to make our case stronger)?
7. Application package asks for Police clearance from NBI (national bureau of investigation) only, but can we still provide additional Police clearance from a local police station?
8. For this statement below, can we provide Video Call screenshots instead of chat messages? If not, what can be another another "documented proof of contact". We were in long distance relationship before.

9. For the statement below, we are planning only to provide Join Bank Statement, will that be enough? Any other examples

10. For the statement below, Facebook posts with our extended family members, will that be enough? Or any other examples?
Did you read the guide in detail (assuming you are sponsoring outland since it's not very clear in your post)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Question 3. No you do not become your spouse's reprensentative. Many applicant fill this form to make their sponsors to be their reprensentative so sponsor can enquire on be-half of PA.

Question 4. This is in the guide about 5406. Since you are NOT the PA nor a dependent, you do not need to fill this form.
Who needs to fill out this form?
This form must be filled out and signed by:
  • The principal applicant,
  • All dependent children aged 18 or over (whether coming with you to Canada or not).
  • Note: if your dependent child is the principal applicant on a sponsorship application, you should complete this form on their behalf regardless of their age.
Question 5 and 6. Provide the most recent NOA that's require. You can provide additional NOAs (from previous years) and letter of explaination. Likely better if you include proof of savings to show you have enough to support both of you without as much income as you previously had.

Question 7. Provide what's being listed in document list. You can provide additional PC (if that's what you mean). If you are unable to provide the requested document, you may be able to include an explaination letter but it's up to IRCC to accept that or not.

Question 8. Screen shots are not very strong proof. I do not have other suggestion. Will let others comment.

Question 9. Only 1 joint bank statement is not enough. Did you put your spouse on your work benefit? Any life or health insurnace? File tax return and put your spouse as spouse in the form?

Question 10. Can you ask your family to write letters? Any photos that inclues both of you and your extended family? Did you explain how your relationship developed and who and how and when your spouse met with your extended family and friends?

Reactions: needhelp6622

needhelp6622

Sep 4, 2020
Did you read the guide in detail (assuming you are sponsoring outland since it's not very clear in your post)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Question 3. No you do not become your spouse's reprensentative. Many applicant fill this form to make their sponsors to be their reprensentative so sponsor can enquire on be-half of PA.

Question 4. This is in the guide about 5406. Since you are NOT the PA nor a dependent, you do not need to fill this form.
Who needs to fill out this form?
This form must be filled out and signed by:
  • The principal applicant,
  • All dependent children aged 18 or over (whether coming with you to Canada or not).
  • Note: if your dependent child is the principal applicant on a sponsorship application, you should complete this form on their behalf regardless of their age.
Question 5 and 6. Provide the most recent NOA that's require. You can provide additional NOAs (from previous years) and letter of explaination. Likely better if you include proof of savings to show you have enough to support both of you without as much income as you previously had.

Question 7. Provide what's being listed in document list. You can provide additional PC (if that's what you mean). If you are unable to provide the requested document, you may be able to include an explaination letter but it's up to IRCC to accept that or not.

Question 8. Screen shots are not very strong proof. I do not have other suggestion. Will let others comment.

Question 9. Only 1 joint bank statement is not enough. Did you put your spouse on your work benefit? Any life or health insurnace? File tax return and put your spouse as spouse in the form?

Question 10. Can you ask your family to write letters? Any photos that inclues both of you and your extended family? Did you explain how your relationship developed and who and how and when your spouse met with your extended family and friends?
question 9. since we were only together for 2 months after marriage, then i came back to canada, it is only the joint bank account we have.
- i already filed tax return, didnt wrote spouse name in it.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
question 9. since we were only together for 2 months after marriage, then i came back to canada, it is only the joint bank account we have.
- i already filed tax return, didnt wrote spouse name in it.
I don't know. You need to contact CRA to update your status. You are supposed to do that after your change of status. (regardless of immigration)

needhelp6622

Sep 4, 2020
I don't know. You need to contact CRA to update your status. You are supposed to do that after your change of status. (regardless of immigration)
I just updated it online in CRA website (spouse details), but the yearly tax assessments dont have spouse name written on it.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I just updated it online in CRA website (spouse details), but the yearly tax assessments dont have spouse name written on it.
They won't, because each person is supposed to file taxes (if they have income in Canada). Your tax filing should have (must have, by law) declared you were married. Your notice of assessment will not have your spouse's name on it.

needhelp6622

Sep 4, 2020
They won't, because each person is supposed to file taxes (if they have income in Canada). Your tax filing should have (must have, by law) declared you were married. Your notice of assessment will not have your spouse's name on it.
so what does this mean, am i in trouble now or im safe?

needhelp6622

Sep 4, 2020
Did you file taxes as married or as single? You've updated CRA now, which is good, but you may wish to re-file your taxes if you filed as single.
i filed tax online on turbotax few months ago, i remembered when i clicked on "married", they were asking for "spouse" income details, which i didnt have/know, and she was also not in canada, so i pressed Single at that time.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
i filed tax online on turbotax few months ago, i remembered when i clicked on "married", they were asking for "spouse" income details, which i didnt have/know, and she was also not in canada, so i pressed Single at that time.
You can use 000 000 000 for SIN number and put in her approimate income (or if you know her exact income outside, put it there. )

I actually found this (first item in google search). Look at the reply from the moderator.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/after-you-file/discussion/my-wife-is-not-living-in-canada-and-dose-not-have-sin/00/891164

Reactions: needhelp6622

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Then you really ought to contact CRA as you lied on your tax returns. Good job.

Sndpkr

Apr 6, 2021
I applied inland spousal sponsorship for ny husband in April, 2021..My question is can he travel to India for few weeks during application procedure. He has work permit status..please advise..Thank you.

MushroomBB

Jun 9, 2021

For Question 8-10, I will recommend you should provide as much as you can, it's not just choosing one of them, you must use"evidence" to show your relationship is real.

Question 8:
1. Conversation (e.g. text, social media, email),
2. If you sent a gift to your wife before, you will have the certificate of posting/tracking document
3. Air ticket if you visit her / she visit you before

Question 9:
1. Employment Insurance
2. Car Insurance
3. Mutual Bank Acct / Credit Card
4. I submitted Costco Card as well (Costco has spouse card)

Question 10.
1. If you are married, did you receive some blessing card from you friends and family?
* Better to ask your friend or family to write a letter