Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I am moving permanently to Canada from India by end of this month. I will really appreciate if I can get some inputs/help on below points:

1. I read somewhere that if I have more than 7 years of experience of driving a Car in India, I can get exemption for few steps in the process to acquire Driver's License in Canada. Has anyone availed this exemption? What documents will be required to get the exemption?

2. Before leaving, I am planning to open NRO and NRE account in India. Any suggestions on which bank in India gives best services for NRO/NRE accounts?

3. I have an employment offer and as part of the offer, I am provided medical and dental insurance cover. So, will I still be required to get a Health Insurance from India for the time while my Health Card is still under processing?

4. Are there any important documents related to Tax/Finance or any other area which I should collect and carry with me for future use in Canada?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Hi

1. I read somewhere that if I have more than 7 years of experience of driving a Car in India, I can get exemption for few steps in the process to acquire Driver's License in Canada. Has anyone availed this exemption? What documents will be required to get the exemption?

Rules differ between provinces. Best for you to contact the provincial licensing authority in the province you are planning to reside and ask them. This will ensure you have the best and most current information.

2. Before leaving, I am planning to open NRO and NRE account in India. Any suggestions on which bank in India gives best services for NRO/NRE accounts?

Can't help with this one

3. I have an employment offer and as part of the offer, I am provided medical and dental insurance cover. So, will I still be required to get a Health Insurance from India for the time while my Health Card is still under processing?

Depending on which province you settle in, there may be a waiting period for you to get on government healthcare. Most provinces 3 months. Health care you will get with your employment generally does not include things covered under government plans. Probably a good idea to get cover that will bridge the coverage gap and time.

4. Are there any important documents related to Tax/Finance or any other area which I should collect and carry with me for future use in Canada?

All the documents you used to deal with your taxes, where you are from, should prove more than adequate. Unlikely that Canada revenue will care too much though unless there is crossover, with foreign income needing to be taxed in Canada. Probably a good idea to spend an hour or two with an accountant to make sure you have no issues.

Good luck

CanadaItIs

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks!!

NetMecca said:
Hi

Rules differ between provinces. Best for you to contact the provincial licensing authority in the province you are planning to reside and ask them. This will ensure you have the best and most current information.

Can't help with this one

Depending on which province you settle in, there may be a waiting period for you to get on government healthcare. Most provinces 3 months. Health care you will get with your employment generally does not include things covered under government plans. Probably a good idea to get cover that will bridge the coverage gap and time.

All the documents you used to deal with your taxes, where you are from, should prove more than adequate. Unlikely that Canada revenue will care too much though unless there is crossover, with foreign income needing to be taxed in Canada. Probably a good idea to spend an hour or two with an accountant to make sure you have no issues.

Good luck

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
I would recommend opening NRE instead of NRO. NRE is exempt from tax, inward and outward remittances are easier and you get interest on NRE deposits.

CanadaItIs

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xpressentry said:
I would recommend opening NRE instead of NRO. NRE is exempt from tax, inward and outward remittances are easier and you get interest on NRE deposits.
Thanks for these insights!!

CanadaItIs

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a follow-up question on the Driver Licence application. I went through the information provided on DriveTest Ontario website (https://www.drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html). It mentions following requirements for acquiring credit for foreign experience to get wait time waived off.

- Declare 2 years of driving experience or longer on your application form
- Provide an original, valid driver's licence and other pieces of acceptable ID
- Provide a letter of authentication in English/French date within last 6 months
- Successfully complete the vision and written knowledge tests at the DriveTest Centre
- Successfully complete the Class G road test to earn your full G licence
- Pay all applicable fees -- around CAD 200

Nowhere it mentions requirement for International Driver Licence (IDL). So, can someone please help in understanding why do I need to get IDL from India?

Thanks in advance!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaItIs said:
Nowhere it mentions requirement for International Driver Licence (IDL). So, can someone please help in understanding why do I need to get IDL from India?

Thanks in advance!!
If you were to be pulled over by the police, there might be an issue if you don't have IDL.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
When I arrived in Canada I used the International driving license to prove that I was in fact licensed, and my license from my home country to prove how long I had been driving. Did the trick for having no restrictions on my new canadian license. Could not convert (had to redo) but got it without restrictions.

Plus cannot drive in Canada at all unless you have a Canadian or international drivers license. Also keep in mind that even with IDL the provinces require that you get a Canadian license within a certain time from settling (getting a legal address in the province). From my understanding 3 months, though check with local licensing authority.

Good luck

CanadaItIs

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you friends sharing these. Seems like its definitely a good idea to acquire IDL irrespective of Experience Certificate for wait period exemption.

Inlandspouse

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
CanadaItIs said:
I have a follow-up question on the Driver Licence application. I went through the information provided on DriveTest Ontario website (change.html). It mentions following requirements for acquiring credit for foreign experience to get wait time waived off.

- Declare 2 years of driving experience or longer on your application form
- Provide an original, valid driver's licence and other pieces of acceptable ID
- Provide a letter of authentication in English/French date within last 6 months
- Successfully complete the vision and written knowledge tests at the DriveTest Centre
- Successfully complete the Class G road test to earn your full G licence
- Pay all applicable fees -- around CAD 200
It seems like you are coming to Ontario and most probably Toronto.

I had the same thing with my driver's license. I went to Indian consulate in Toronto at Bloor Street. You have to provide a copy of your driver's license, application form, Demand Draft of 18$ and they will issue you an affidavit declaring your driving experience. This affidavit you have to show to drivetest place where you go to get your license.

As you have license of more than 2 years, you don't need to go through the complete graduated licensing system they have in Ontario. You have to write the G1 (written test) and then you can directly book for G Road test (the final complete license). You can skip the G2 and don't have to wait for recommended time in different stages of licensing.

Important thing which I realised after I came here. I got the license but when you go to insurance companies, they want your driver's record and letter from your auto insurance company saying that you were insured with them and have not had any accident. This will reduce the premium of your insurance bigtime.

Hope I was able to help.

Good luck bro and welcome to Canada.

CanadaItIs

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with Insurance Letter. Much appreciated!!

Inlandspouse said:

I had the same thing with my driver's license. I went to Indian consulate in Toronto at Bloor Street. You have to provide a copy of your driver's license, application form, Demand Draft of 18$ and they will issue you an affidavit declaring your driving experience. This affidavit you have to show to drivetest place where you go to get your license.

As you have license of more than 2 years, you don't need to go through the complete graduated licensing system they have in Ontario. You have to write the G1 (written test) and then you can directly book for G Road test (the final complete license). You can skip the G2 and don't have to wait for recommended time in different stages of licensing.

Important thing which I realised after I came here. I got the license but when you go to insurance companies, they want your driver's record and letter from your auto insurance company saying that you were insured with them and have not had any accident. This will reduce the premium of your insurance bigtime.

Hope I was able to help.

etcoflife

Jan 12, 2017

Hope I was able to help.

What if I fail the G driving test? Please help.