+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Feeling stranded..

HappyMel

Feb 9, 2009
I originally came over to Canada to see my boyfriend. I had a visitors visa for 6 months, staying with him and his family during this time. My visa expires December 24th. I sent off my extension for 6 more months and it was refused. During this time of all of this, my mother had fallen ill back in London where I live to the point where she cannot work.
Back to the visa issue...
When I got my refusal letter, I was still a valid visitor and so I sent off another extension. I'm still waiting for this response, But I'm pretty sure it's going to be refused as well. My mother does not have the money to send me home and I do not have any other relatives to depend on right now. I am staying with my boyfriend's family who is taking care of me. I know I should have left when my first refusal got here...But there's not much I can do now. I'm feeling stuck and no one can help me at all.
I was considering going across the Canadian border and back again..but I'm not to sure how that outcome would be. My passport is about to expire in May as well. I have no idea what to do.

Is there anything I can do to get out of such a pickle?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Actually I was refering to jobs as Babysitting,House sitting,Gardening,Where people can payi n cash,But PMM also has a good point there,

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
You are a dual citizen, maybe if you go to the USA or UK embassy in Canada, they might be able to help you too, you don't need to overstay and get caught, because they may help you pay the ticket yes (I don't think they'd fly you to your hometown, they may put you somewhere back in your country or across the border, at least thats what they do to ppl in the USA, I'd hope canadians would be more humanitarian), but that could affect your record for future entrances in Canada, and thats obviously something you want to do.
You could arrange moving to the USA temporarily (since it'd be cheaper to go there than to fly to England). Just don't let more time go on. And then go back to Canada, since you have a refused letter already, they MAY think you'd wanna move to Canada when you try to re-enter, but you could have good chances of proving them thats not what you are trying to do.
Now, if you overstay in Canada, you DEFINITELY would have trouble re-entering, even as a tourist. So far you haven't violated any laws, so even if they could get suspicious, you still have better chances leaving in time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's doubtful they'd let you back across the border if you left. They probably have it flagged in the computer that you asked for an extension and were refused. Why could you go home when you got your first refusal but you can't go home anymore? Did you not have a return ticket when you arrived? You don't have this ticket still? I think you should just go home. Be with your sick mother. You can come back and visit your boyfriend later after you save up a bit of money or you can marry him and he can sponsor you to get PR in Canada.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
Leon said:
It's doubtful they'd let you back across the border if you left. They probably have it flagged in the computer that you asked for an extension and were refused. Why could you go home when you got your first refusal but you can't go home anymore? Did you not have a return ticket when you arrived? You don't have this ticket still? I think you should just go home. Be with your sick mother. You can come back and visit your boyfriend later after you save up a bit of money or you can marry him and he can sponsor you to get PR in Canada.
But couldn't she argued that if she wanted to immigrate illegaly, she would've just stayed???
Now, you are planning eventually on moving back to Canada.. I have to go, I'd keep my post later.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She could argue that and they can still refuse her entry. They are not supposed to let her in unless they are convinced she'll leave at the end of her visa. Since she was already in Canada more than 6 months, applied for an extension, didn't leave but applied for another extension, I don't think they'd be too convinced she's planning on leaving any time soon. Besides, I am not too sure about the legality of renewing a tourist visa by hopping across the border and back again. Basically means you could stay as a tourist forever.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
Yeah, you are right, they could think she is working there or something like that. But if she later can prove she has a job in the USA where she proves she has the means to visit as a tourist or for visiting a friend and that she'd leave once her time's up, then she has good chances. I don't think they'd have a problem with letting people in and out as many times as they want, especially if they have friends to visit to. I visited the USA soo many times before actually moving here, and I even stay here almost 5 mo one time and 3 months another one. But since I've never violated any laws and I show them I had the means and the will to leave, they didn't have a reason to deny me entry, and they never did. I think she'd have a positive point on her favor if she leaves if she gets denied of her apeal. It's telling them, "I'm not gonna break any rules".

HappyMel

Feb 9, 2009
Well my extension came in and it was approved! Thank you guys for all the feedback. I wont be needing to cross the border after all.