+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Feeling Overwhelmed. How do you do it?

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Visas are done and dusted and now the prospect of moving has become a reality.

I'm feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of what needs to be done now - getting rid of what we aren't shipping, arranging to have everything else shipped, selling our house. How do you coordinate these things so that you aren't left homeless or scrabbling around trying to get everything done?

Then there are jobs and housing on the other side.

I'm finding it very stressful and not sure what to start with.

Anyone been through it who can offer advice?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Handle it one by one. For example, if you own the residence you are currently living in your country, when you sell, could you negotiate with the buyer what time they can take possession? Ideally this would be on the same date you moved to a hotel or catch the flight to Canada.

As for housing in Canada, while in your country, you can make online hotel reservation or pre-arrange renting short term / long term apartment. Once are here, you can also house hunting (buy or rent).

For now, start with the items you wish to be shipped to Canada. Arrange quotations, etc. Once you know the date your items would taken away by the relocation company /shipping company, you can start packing your luggage and donate /dispose the unwanted items.

Last edited:

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013

I'm feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of what needs to be done now - getting rid of what we aren't shipping, arranging to have everything else shipped, selling our house. How do you coordinate these things so that you aren't left homeless or scrabbling around trying to get everything done?

Take it one day at a time. Make a list of things that need to be done before you leave, and then focus on crossing them off one by one. don't worry too much about things you'll have to do once you reach Canada, as all of those are beyond your control at present. By breaking tasks down into smaller, "bite-sized" activities, the sheer volume seems less overwhelming.

Reactions: arthurbr

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Take it one day at a time. It is a life changing moment. In the end you are going to make it
Everything will go smoothly

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I thought the Visa was the stressful part but this just seems so big!

Thank you all for your encouragement.

Milsrome

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
CA
LANDED..........
July 2017

I encourage you to register for pre-arrival services funded by IRCC you can see the list in the IRCC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-services.asp and one is SOPA www.arriveprepared.ca and a SOPA staff in your destination province will answer questions on your settlement and will have access to the employment courses. You will have one-on-one support before arrival.

Reactions: AlbaNuadh

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you not received the IRCC email about pre-arrival services before you received the visa?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I thought the Visa was the stressful part but this just seems so big!

Thank you all for your encouragement.
And there is way more to come..once in Canada there will be house and job hunting, culture shock, paperwork stuff, schooling for kids, daycare etc etc