+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Feeling overwhelmed....HELP!!!

Jazzmoose

Jul 24, 2010
Here's the story....we're U.S. citizens, I was recently hired by a company in Nova Scotia.
They're going to bring me up on a TWP so I can get started sooner then much later, with the understanding, that once we were settled, to start the PR process.
I have a contract and a positive LMO.
Service Canada stated that my job (materials estimator) is considered semi-skilled (C-level) ???.
Since this position is only considered semi-skilled it has now opened a whole host of other questions for me.

1. Am I going to have a problem bringing my wife and children with me?

2. Are they going to be eligible to get SIN cards and health cards?

3. My wife wants to work and initially we figured she would be able to get an OWP. What now?

4. Since this is now considered a semi-skilled position, will we be able to successfully apply for PR even through a PNP?

My head is just about spinning now.
I was planning on driving up to the border this week (we live a few hours away) and getting my work permit and even the thought of that is giving me a headache.
Will I need to provide a police background check?
Their guide says about bringing "Proof of funds available as specified under the "Working in Canada" section of this guide" and "Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office"...am I the only one that finds this a little vague?
I've been through the "Working in Canada" guide numerous times and CAN NOT find any information on proof of funds and what that particular amount might be!!

I would greatly appreciate any insight, information, advice or words of wisdom.
I am rapidly approaching the time that I need to start my new job and this is one spanner that I didn't need thrown in the works!

Peace

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jazzmoose said:
Here's the story....we're U.S. citizens, I was recently hired by a company in Nova Scotia.
They're going to bring me up on a TWP so I can get started sooner then much later, with the understanding, that once we were settled, to start the PR process.
I have a contract and a positive LMO.
Service Canada stated that my job (materials estimator) is considered semi-skilled (C-level) ???.
Since this position is only considered semi-skilled it has now opened a whole host of other questions for me.

1. Am I going to have a problem bringing my wife and children with me?

2. Are they going to be eligible to get SIN cards and health cards?

3. My wife wants to work and initially we figured she would be able to get an OWP. What now?

4. Since this is now considered a semi-skilled position, will we be able to successfully apply for PR even through a PNP?

My head is just about spinning now.
I was planning on driving up to the border this week (we live a few hours away) and getting my work permit and even the thought of that is giving me a headache.
Will I need to provide a police background check?
Their guide says about bringing "Proof of funds available as specified under the "Working in Canada" section of this guide" and "Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office"...am I the only one that finds this a little vague?
I've been through the "Working in Canada" guide numerous times and CAN NOT find any information on proof of funds and what that particular amount might be!!

I would greatly appreciate any insight, information, advice or words of wisdom.
I am rapidly approaching the time that I need to start my new job and this is one spanner that I didn't need thrown in the works!

Peace
1. No, as long as you can support them
2. They will not be issued SIN but you can included them in your application if your work permit is valid for a year.
3. As your job is semi-skilled, your spouse will NOT be eligible for a work permit.
4. Your only chance for PR is through PNP.
5. You don't need proof of funds if you have an LMO.

imatwkrp

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-21-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
10-03-2013 (copies only; visa-exempt)
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
Hi, Jazzmoose. I am also an American, and I was overwhelmed a couple of months ago when I got a job offer from Ontario. But it was made clear to me that we are not going to be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence status for some time. Don't worry!, because you really don't need to yet.

All you need to enter and 'land' is the foreign workers' Work Permit. I know the materials say to have 'proof of funds,' but as I understand it, proof of funds does NOT apply to those of us with arranged employment, a contract and a positive LMO. So you do NOT need to prove funds or apply for PR (which you can't, yet, anyway).

Neither you or your wife can get SINs yet. Once you have the work permit, then you can apply for the SIN. Your wife can apply for an "open work permit" simultaneously as you apply for your work permit, because open work permits are available to spouses arriving with someone with arranged employment. This both allows her the option to apply for Canadian jobs, and even if she never intends to exercise that option, this also allows her to get a SIN as soon as she gets her work permit.

Bringing your children is not typically a problem; as they say on the CIC website, just list them on your application and bring them all with you when you land:

"If you, your spouse or common-law partner and children all apply together, you do not have to fill out a separate application form for each individual: list their names and the other necessary information about them in the appropriate space on your application. If you need more space, attach a separate piece of paper and indicate the number and letter of the question you are answering."

Hope this helps! It sucks doing all this, I know, the stress is tremendous, but I'm slowly getting through it, so is my husband, and so, I'm sure, will you and yours! Take heart.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Certain categories of work visa's are exempt from allowing a spouse to hold a OWP.

As I know, only NOC 0, A, B, are allowed to have their spouse issued with an OWP when the initial work permit is issued.

PNP route.....compared with any other visa right now, the PNP route seems the simplest and fastest, to PR status.

It seems that whatever Provence, they seem genuinely surprised that a reputable Company would need and want the skill of the applicant, that they grant a PNP. I am sure others will prove me wrong but from forums and my own experience with a friend at the Company I am employed at, so far this seems to be true.

However, should a Mickey Mouse Company apply for a PNP......not a chance.

Go for the job, your children and wife will be covered under health care, your children will be eligible for school. Your wife will be unable to work but meanwhile work ya ass off, become indispensable and get that PNP. Apply for PR, takes approx 8 to 12 months. When the PR comes, both you and your wife are free to work anywhere you want in Canada.

Jazzmoose

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement everyone!
My children and I are heading up to the border tomorrow to get my work permit.
My wife and I have figured that if she wants to work she'll just need to get an LMO and permit like I did once we're up there. She's a baker/pastry "artisan" and we're both hoping she won't have a problem finding a job.
Quick question though....the $150 fee, is that just for me or will that have to be paid for each person on my application (myself, wife and 2 kids --- 150 x 4).

Thanks again!

imatwkrp

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-21-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
10-03-2013 (copies only; visa-exempt)
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
Oh, well, this will probably arrive while you're there, but if you haven't gone yet: The $150 is just for you. You do not need to pay just to have family, heh heh. You only need to pay the fee for each person applying for a work permit. E.g., I declared on my work permit that my husband would accompany me, and they only charged me the $150 for my application to be processed. Then he decided he wanted to apply for an open work permit at the same time, and they said, Okay, that'll be $300 total then. Y'see?