+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Feedback from the experience of using a Canadian passport to visit Europe for "a racialized person"? . Landing at CDG, Paris, France.

kukunabatongo

Sep 25, 2022
To obtain the citizenship of a free, democratic and developed country is an honor and an important event in the life... Especially when one comes from a country of the “third world”, in Africa.

I am happy and very honored by this. I obtained my citizenship several months ago, and my Canadian passport only a few days ago, which I asked for to be able to make a trip to visit my family settled in Europe, but also for tourism, in some European countries. . The landing will be in France, Paris.

From my former life as a national of an underdeveloped country, and even having had the necessary visas in the past, I have very, very bad and even traumatic memories of my experiences at European entry points in airports. , especially in Europe (Precisely in France, and in Belgium).

Despite having a visa, customs officers at the airport often rely on your "ethnicity" to decide whether they will "investigate" more, ask more questions, and even ask for supporting documents ( return plane ticket, money, hotel reservation, nature of our job, etc, etc )

I know it may seem exaggerated or excessive, but it is unfortunately the sad truth... A French-speaking journalist from Quebec made this sad observation in French airports, I refer you to his article:
https://www.lapresse.ca/societe/chroniques/2022-06-05/le-privilege-blanc.php

In short, my question is very simple, for those who have already had this experience: Is there systematic racism at the points of entry into Europe (France or Belgium), when you have a Canadian passport, but 'we don't have the ''right color'', or is the Canadian passport powerful enough to avoid these childishness at the entry points?

Of course, I am in order and even more, I am very careful and I took all the imaginable precautions (hotel reservation despite that my family will be able to accommodate me, cash in addition to credit cards, return ticket, etc., etc ) .... But I want at all costs not to relive these humiliating and traumatic events.

...I even think, if necessary, to change my plan to land in France, and to do it in a border country, say, Spain, with the additional expense that this implies, to avoid living again these stressful, traumatic and humiliating situations. What do you think ?

Thank you to all those who will provide constructive answers and who will share their experiences!

Reactions: medwiz and Mthornt

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
You are overthinking this. The easiest way to avoid being asked questions at the border is just to always be truthful.
The more you travel and the more stamps you accumulate in your passport, the less questions they ask.
I have had several passports and travel extensively, yet I always get nervous since I understand the extraordinary powers that officers have at border crossings... my partner on the other hand (same nationality as me), doesn't care if they have power or not so she never gets nervous. It amazes me how calm and relaxed she is when travelling.

Anyways.. just go on your trip, don't overthink it and enjoy your new Canadian passport. It will indeed lower your chances of being asked more questions by immigration officers. Also, if they ask more and more questions, just understand that they have a right and duty to do so.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
i have traveled to france multiple times on my "third world" passport. i have never been questioned or harassed. when asked for when im staying, i had my hotel at hand, when asked for flights out, had the document at hand. never stayed more than 2 minutes.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
To obtain the citizenship of a free, democratic and developed country is an honor and an important event in the life... Especially when one comes from a country of the “third world”, in Africa.

I am happy and very honored by this. I obtained my citizenship several months ago, and my Canadian passport only a few days ago, which I asked for to be able to make a trip to visit my family settled in Europe, but also for tourism, in some European countries. . The landing will be in France, Paris.

From my former life as a national of an underdeveloped country, and even having had the necessary visas in the past, I have very, very bad and even traumatic memories of my experiences at European entry points in airports. , especially in Europe (Precisely in France, and in Belgium).

Despite having a visa, customs officers at the airport often rely on your "ethnicity" to decide whether they will "investigate" more, ask more questions, and even ask for supporting documents ( return plane ticket, money, hotel reservation, nature of our job, etc, etc )

I know it may seem exaggerated or excessive, but it is unfortunately the sad truth... A French-speaking journalist from Quebec made this sad observation in French airports, I refer you to his article:

In short, my question is very simple, for those who have already had this experience: Is there systematic racism at the points of entry into Europe (France or Belgium), when you have a Canadian passport, but 'we don't have the ''right color'', or is the Canadian passport powerful enough to avoid these childishness at the entry points?

Of course, I am in order and even more, I am very careful and I took all the imaginable precautions (hotel reservation despite that my family will be able to accommodate me, cash in addition to credit cards, return ticket, etc., etc ) .... But I want at all costs not to relive these humiliating and traumatic events.

...I even think, if necessary, to change my plan to land in France, and to do it in a border country, say, Spain, with the additional expense that this implies, to avoid living again these stressful, traumatic and humiliating situations. What do you think ?

Thank you to all those who will provide constructive answers and who will share their experiences!
Immigration officers have the authority to ask whatever questions they see fit. I am a POC, who travelled recently to the US and was asked if I was a 'born Canadian'. I did ponder over it, but as others have pointed out, always state the facts even though they may seem incredible and weird (for want of a better word!)

Having said that, these officials are also human beings who are capable of the same biases as other ordinary civilians. It would be near impossible to fathom what is going on in those heads. If you watch any of those 'Border Control' programs on TV, whether it is Australia, US or Canada, there is no shortage of example of non POC travellers who receive the rough treatment.

So, don't worry too much about it, get on with your travels and feel the joy in visa-free travel on a Canadian PP. All said and done, it felt good at the US border, even though I have been many times to the US on my previous citizenship.

naten

Feb 20, 2018
Immigration officers have the authority to ask whatever questions they see fit. I am a POC, who travelled recently to the US and was asked if I was a 'born Canadian'. I did ponder over it, but as others have pointed out, always state the facts even though they may seem incredible and weird (for want of a better word!)

Having said that, these officials are also human beings who are capable of the same biases as other ordinary civilians. It would be near impossible to fathom what is going on in those heads. If you watch any of those 'Border Control' programs on TV, whether it is Australia, US or Canada, there is no shortage of example of non POC travellers who receive the rough treatment.

So, don't worry too much about it, get on with your travels and feel the joy in visa-free travel on a Canadian PP. All said and done, it felt good at the US border, even though I have been many times to the US on my previous citizenship.
Do you remember all the questions US officer asked? Did they take your fingerprints and face?

kukunabatongo

Sep 25, 2022

Thanks for sharing your experience.

What does ''POC'' mean, I'm not sure ?

Reactions: akbardxb

kukunabatongo

Sep 25, 2022
Oh god ! ... I didn't know this abbreviation (I'm mainly a French speaker).

I can't believe that such an abbreviation exists ! We are all ''Homo sapiens'', tthe question of '' skin color '' depends on the geographical choices of our distant ancestors: A question of pigmentation of the skin according to exposure to the sun... Terrible.

Nevermind, i hope my trip will go well, and that all these stupid questions won't arise in the future.

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
If you watch any of those 'Border Control' programs on TV, whether it is Australia, US or Canada, there is no shortage of example of non POC travellers who receive the rough treatment.
TBF that's also because POCs are overwhelmingly among those that break cross border travel rules. They go by stereotypes and that's not always a bad thing as it narrows down their search. Stopping an Asian family to check if they have undeclared food in their bags is like shooting fish in a barrel. As an Indian man I see so many people from my own country getting grains and raw foods. Similarly, a 50s something white man travelling to Thailand for just 3 days from Melbourne and coming back with an extra bag? Yeah that's suspicious since that fits a stereotype of a drug smuggler.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada

As a POC (African American) I've had a few of these experiences as well, and I have lived and traveled extensively in Europe. Honestly, they are hit and miss, and I've had similar experiences in both the US (where I'm from) and Canada (where I live now). I would say mostly these are few and far in between but I won't minimize the experiences you describe having, as no one, no matter the color wants to be in these uncomfortable situations. I would say I also see non-POC travelers having issues with border control during my travels as well, but above all don't let them take away any part of the joy you'll have by traveling, seeing your family, etc... just make sure you have all documents in order, and most of all enjoy your trip :)

Reactions: armoured

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Oh god ! ... I didn't know this abbreviation (I'm mainly a French speaker).

I can't believe that such an abbreviation exists ! We are all ''Homo sapiens'', tthe question of '' skin color '' depends on the geographical choices of our distant ancestors: A question of pigmentation of the skin according to exposure to the sun... Terrible.

Nevermind, i hope my trip will go well, and that all these stupid questions won't arise in the future.
There's POC and then there is BIPOC ! The world is full of acronyms. Rule Britannia, Vive la English etc etc :):p

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
TBF that's also because POCs are overwhelmingly among those that break cross border travel rules. They go by stereotypes and that's not always a bad thing as it narrows down their search. Stopping an Asian family to check if they have undeclared food in their bags is like shooting fish in a barrel. As an Indian man I see so many people from my own country getting grains and raw foods. Similarly, a 50s something white man travelling to Thailand for just 3 days from Melbourne and coming back with an extra bag? Yeah that's suspicious since that fits a stereotype of a drug smuggler.
At the risk of painting everyone with the same brush, may I say, that is a reasonably valid point. My family and I have established a rule now - absolutely no food. It's not worth the trouble. Everything and more that we could have imported in suitcase is now available at a grocery store nearby - sometimes of better quality!
On the return leg of the above mentioned US trip, there was plenty of leftover food from the family reunion, but chose to leave it behind.

kukunabatongo

Sep 25, 2022
Hello everyone. Here is my experience with traveling to Europe (Schengen Area) with a Canadian passport for a person with origins other than ''caucasian'', or ''white'':

As a precaution, I chose to land first in Spain, at Barcelona-El Prat airport (BCN). Indeed, Spanishs (Italians, Southern Europeans in general, and Germans as well), are not particularly known for their systematic discrimination at points of entry into airports, such as Belgians or French people ( Read the news article I mentioned in my first post).

Although my family and tourist visit had France as its main destination, I initially wanted to make a trip to Spain as well: So I landed in Barcelona via an Air Transat Yul-BCN flight. The flight was mostly filled with Quebec retirees going on vacation (Air Transat organizes full tours, not just commercial flights).
Believe it or not: when leaving this plane, and before recovering the luggage, you have to go through customs: There were only 2 customs officers, and many, many people: The customs officers stamped the Canadian passports on the chain, without even saying hello to people or asking questions: It literally took them 3 or 4 seconds per stamp!!

I saw in the queue before me a person with an African passport: This person went through further interrogation, passport and visa passed through a verification device several times, etc...

My turn had come: Smiling and confident, I approached the customs officer like this:

- Hola senior, coma esta la situation ?

The agent seemed delighted with my effort to communicate in his mother tongue.

- Hola... Hablais Espanol?
- A poco.
- ... Kukuna, eh? ( My name )
- So senior, Soy yo Kukuna.
- Ablas Africano?
... I chose to laugh at his ''joke'', he laughed a lot too, and put the stamp in my passport while continuing to laugh...

Conclusion :

I prefer, by far, this type of ''jokes'' and the ''yellow laughs'' that go with it... Than the questionnaires that I lived before being Canadian.
I had NO questions about my stay: duration, return ticket, reason for the trip, money I have in my possession, nothing, no such vexatious questions...

I'm really relieved, I was able to travel with a kind of dignity and ''normality'', without judgment or presumption of lies or fraud for a tourist trip.

I am so grateful and so happy to be Canadian!

I will never forget the queen to whom I had sworn allegiance during the citizenship ceremony: Peace to her soul, and long live to the king! God save the king !

* Tip; always try to greet the agent in their mother tongue... Kind of respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wacky1.nash

Dreamer2017

Star Member
Jul 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
November 30, 2018
I am Egyptian and travelled several times to Europe on my EG passport without any problem. Enjoy your travel and take it easy