+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Federal Skilled Workers Unite

BOWPR

Dec 12, 2015
Hey all, looking to pool a few ideas together to see if we can overcome difficulties in obtaining PR through EE. Goes out mostly to license skilled trades (Electrician / Plumber / Welder etc)

Anyone having issues might be a good idea to share here to work out solutions and offer advice.

Here is mine,

Recently obtained LMIA now due to be only worth 50 points.

Great difficulties in having foreign Skilled Trade Certificate evaluated. WES and CES no longer evaluate trades, struggling to find any others.

Cant seem to be able to use my Red Seal Certificate as a form of education to bypass the need of ECA.

If Ministry / Collage of Trades can evaluate a foreign Trade Certificate and evaluate it similar to completed a Canadian trade apprenticeship (allowing you to take the exam) Why does CIC not recognize this and how can we over come the issue?

I have contacted the Ministry of Trade about this and they said the fact that I passed the red seal exam supersedes the need to explain how I obtained it (where I studied etc). Unfortunately this can not be relayed through express entry as the profile layout does not allow for explanations. I've no idea who to talk to in CIC about this, any ideas?

In a nut shell, I have a trade cert which is equivalent to having completed a Canadian apprenticeship (verified by Ontario Collage of Trades) but I wont be able to use this as a form of Canadian education.

Some people may be lucky enough to have another form of collage education along with a licence skilled trade. Its possible these people may be offered to apply under federal skilled trade even though the additional education is not related to the skilled trade. Wonder how CIC haven't figured out that one if it turns out possible? Makes it very unfair to those without that extra education even though they are applying under same stream.

All thoughts, offers of advice greatly appropriated.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
BOWPR said:
If Ministry / Collage of Trades can evaluate a foreign Trade Certificate and evaluate it similar to completed a Canadian trade apprenticeship (allowing you to take the exam) Why does CIC not recognize this and how can we over come the issue?

They DO recognize it. There is a category in the CRS that is exclusive to you - "the Certificate of qualification (for people in trade occupations)" gets you 50 points instead of points for education.

If you ALSO have a diploma or degree from a college/university, then you can get that evaluated by the normal process.

BOWPR

Dec 12, 2015
Hey Jes,

Yeah we get the 50 points for having the red seal but right now I cant seem to also include it as proof of education. An example,

1) I take an apprenticeship in Canada and pass the red seal test. I will be awarded 50 points plus points for the credential obtained.

2) I take apprenticeship abroad, come to Canada and pass the same red seal test. I will be awarded 50 points but no points for education even though I have obtained the same credential as above.

This is what I'm struggling to understand. CIC wants us to have our apprenticeship / trade certs evaluated but the associated companies don't seem to offer a service dedicated for trades, not that I know of anyway. Tried WES and CES so far.

In order to work here as a licence trade we got to have our papers evaluated by Ontario Collage of Trades but they're not associated with CIC.

I hold no other diplomas or degrees.

Thanks.