+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Federal Skilled Worker Program or Spousal Sponsorship

patrickstar

Apr 16, 2019
My fiancee and I applied individually for FSW/Express Entry back in June 2018. I was thrilled when I received my PPR back in February so I submitted my passport last month and booked flight to Canada scheduled in May as my first entry. I plan to return to my home country after a week because I still have employment bond to fulfill with my current employer and I am planning to arrange my transfer of office (since my current employer has office in Toronto).

Unfortunately, for my fiancee, her application was rejected. She applied for NOC 4162 Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts and the Migration Officer was not satisfied that she has sufficient experience to be eligible. My fiance, btw, has been working with our central bank as financial inclusion advocacy staff for 9 years. Upon double checking the criteria, we realized that her work also satisfies most of the requirement for NOC 0412 Government managers - economic analysis, policy development and program administration. However, NOC 0412 states that the positions should be manager/director but my fiancee is not, she is just a staff. So we though there is a gray area between the two NOCs? Would this be ground for an appeal? and if we file an appeal, how long does it normally take?

Also, we are planning to have our wedding in June. I was wondering what would be the best option for her to take:
1. Apply for an appeal to the decision of the migration officer (no idea how difficult the process or how long will it take)
2. Reapply using NOC 0412 (might take another year?)
3. Apply for spousal sponsorship (but I have to go to Canada on my own and we'll be apart for quite some time)

We really wanted for us to settle to Canada together, as a couple, so that we would be able to help each other and be together.

Hope somebody from the community can guide us what is the best route to take.

Thanks,
PatrickStar23